The Student Room Group

Fear about moving away?

Hi all! (long post, sorry!)

I know when waiting for your A-Level results and then moving away to your chosen university evokes fear amongst most students, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to manage this fear and anxiety?
For context, for as long as I could remember I have wanted to move away from home and go to university due to circumstances and experiences in my own personal life. However, as results day comes closer and closer as well as enrolment I cannot tell if I am starting to get doubts about going to university, or if this is just general anxiety that most people experience.
I feel like my anxiety is kind of high-stakes too as I don't really have an insurance university in the UK. My firm choice is King's College London with ABC as the offer, and I put the University of Glasgow as my insurance, yet the offer is AAB (I don't really know why I did that tbh). Instead, I have applied to University College Dublin where I only need to receive CCC to get in, but all of the finances, accommodation, loans etc is a bit confusing as many schools here don't really prep students for applying to university outside of the UK. Due to this, I still have the choice between two universities that I really like, instead of having my firm and insurance determine where I go, if that makes sense? Moreover, I have lots of family in Dublin so I know I wouldn't be on my own, but my twin has also gotten an offer from KCL and that is her firm choice too, so there is that as well.
So, I was wondering if anyone had any advice to deal with this anxiety? I think the fact that I still have to make a choice between schools is scaring me the most, but idk.

Any help is highly appreciated! Again, sorry for the long post, I probably could have summarised this in a few sentences lol.
Original post by losientolizzy

I know when waiting for your A-Level results and then moving away to your chosen university evokes fear amongst most students, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to manage this fear and anxiety?
For context, for as long as I could remember I have wanted to move away from home and go to university due to circumstances and experiences in my own personal life. However, as results day comes closer and closer as well as enrolment I cannot tell if I am starting to get doubts about going to university, or if this is just general anxiety that most people experience.
I feel like my anxiety is kind of high-stakes too as I don't really have an insurance university in the UK. My firm choice is King's College London with ABC as the offer, and I put the University of Glasgow as my insurance, yet the offer is AAB (I don't really know why I did that tbh). Instead, I have applied to University College Dublin where I only need to receive CCC to get in, but all of the finances, accommodation, loans etc is a bit confusing as many schools here don't really prep students for applying to university outside of the UK. Due to this, I still have the choice between two universities that I really like, instead of having my firm and insurance determine where I go, if that makes sense? Moreover, I have lots of family in Dublin so I know I wouldn't be on my own, but my twin has also gotten an offer from KCL and that is her firm choice too, so there is that as well.
So, I was wondering if anyone had any advice to deal with this anxiety? I think the fact that I still have to make a choice between schools is scaring me the most, but idk.

Any help is highly appreciated! Again, sorry for the long post, I probably could have summarised this in a few sentences lol.

Hiya

It's totally fine to feel like this- it seems like the general anxiety almost everyone has when moving to uni. Everything will be so different so even though you might be scared now, it will get better as time passes and completely go away once you actually reach uni.

As far as choosing the university is concerned, think about where you'd be happier- not in terms of whether you'd have familial support, but whether the course and the student life at that uni is something you want to commit to for the next 3-4 years. Right now it might feel like you need relatives around you but you will have to let go at some point and uni is a good start for that. Plus you will still have your sibling with you so you'd have more support than most people there. I personally wouldn't want any of my family around while I'm at uni because I know it could potentially curb my freedom to live the way I want.

To deal with this anxiety:
1. Talk to someone in your family or with a friend you trust. Perhaps your sibling feels this way too and if you share these feelings with them, you'll both feel much better.
2. Take time out for yourself, indulge in self-care and forget about uni for a few days. Sometimes when you keep thinking about something over and over, it just tangles further. Maybe you'll be able to find a solution if you take some time away from mulling over it.
3. Watch student life at university videos- they are fun and give you something to look forward to! There are plenty of societies available for you to join so go to the website and find which ones you'd wanna join.
4. Keep in mind why you wanted to go to uni and away from family in the first place- that would perhaps make you feel better about your decision.

Hope this helps :smile:

-Himieka
Original post by losientolizzy

Hiya,

I'm really sorry to hear that you are feeling anxious! The way you are feeling is so valid because moving to uni is such a big thing in our life! I have just finished my first year at uni and honestly I felt the exact same way! I was worried about the grades I would get also as the uni I picked for my insurance choice I didn't particularly want to go there! It can be really daunting waiting on exam results but try and have some relaxing time over the summer if you can!

From my experience, this is what helped me with anxiety about moving to uni:
Speak to close friends or family about how I'm feeling and seek their comfort
Asking myself what I'm afraid of
writing everything down that is causing me stress on a piece of paper and screwing it up and throwing it away
reminding myself that everything that I've been anxious about before I've got through
Deep breathing if feeling overwhelmed
Trying to list the positives as well (starting uni is daunting but can also be extremely exciting!)
You might also be able to find group chats that have been set up by the uni and this can help you connect with people who are also starting in September! This is so useful as you quickly realise how everyone is feeling the exact same way as you and I found this reassuring!

I hope this helps a bit and best of luck!
Abby, University of Chichester, First Year Ambassador Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest