Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do i go about this?
    I'm not taking media studies at a level because of reputation and option blocks (wanted to do art) and everything, and am sticking to academic subjects(also biology, english lit, french) . I got strong GCSE grades and hopefully will be able to do alright at A level although i am struggling at the mo. Is this the right thing to do? I would love to do a career in the media so much and my dream is to be a presenter but I know you have to work your way up to this. A degree in media and communication looks fascinating and great for me, like with the socilogy and psychology as well it looks right up my street. But is it true that media graduates are really unemployable? So what do i do? I feel like i am holding off the more enjoyable subjects now so that i have a more solid grounding in the future but if i cant take a degree i enjoy then AHH! I also like graphic design/photoshop all that lot might want to go into advertising but i'm not sure. I also love drama.

Any advice because i'm raelly confused about where i should be heading right now?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    dont be a tool

ReputationRep:
    only bother if you're really hot, you don't get many presenters that are uggoes.

otherwise just decide what you enjoy the most and pursue it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluelou)
    How do i go about this?
    I'm not taking media studies at a level because of reputation and option blocks (wanted to do art) and everything, and am sticking to academic subjects(also biology, english lit, french) . I got strong GCSE grades and hopefully will be able to do alright at A level although i am struggling at the mo. Is this the right thing to do? I would love to do a career in the media so much and my dream is to be a presenter but I know you have to work your way up to this. A degree in media and communication looks fascinating and great for me, like with the socilogy and psychology as well it looks right up my street. But is it true that media graduates are really unemployable? So what do i do? I feel like i am holding off the more enjoyable subjects now so that i have a more solid grounding in the future but if i cant take a degree i enjoy then AHH! I also like graphic design/photoshop all that lot might want to go into advertising but i'm not sure. I also love drama.

Any advice because i'm raelly confused about where i should be heading right now?:confused:
    A few things to note:

- A career as a presenter isn't necessarily considered a 'media career', and isn't something a media degree will give you experience in. It's more performing arts/drama.

- It's not that media graduates aren't employable; it's just that there are so many of them and so few jobs available - plus, as you said, you still have to start from the bottom.

- If you're concerned about reputation, take another route and get experience elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluelou)
    How do i go about this?

My sister wants to go into TV production, and she's doing a university course but it isn't particularly neccessary for the media; she is going for the experience. I think the key thing with media is to get some work experience; my sister worked as a runner for a year at different places in London; Pineapple Studios (where they make big budget films), Princess Productions, and various programmes on the BBC - a lot of it was just delivering packages, making coffees and taking phone calls, however she did get to work with floor management and attend adversitement meetings etc.

Doing something like that would be worth considering, if you contact an agency (like 42nd Street) they could look at some work for you. Ignore all the TSR snobs who look down on media, my sisters worked in the real thing and it was bloody hard work for her, she was doing really long hours when she got a job after for a few months. With media you have to work your way up, and I think that's far more respectable.

The best thing to do would be avoid Media at A-level, then take some sort of Media related course at University. Things like sociology, psychology etc would work well, perhaps economics/business or english or something? It's up to you.

Anyway, good luck

ReputationRep:
    Why do you make so many threads like this?

Some see Media studies as a worthless degree, but you could pick an area of the media, for example I want to do television production. Lot's of jobs are hard to get, you just have to put in effort.

ReputationRep:
    And when your at uni you could always get involed in campus media to bulk up your cv.

ReputationRep:
    Work Experience is the way in. You dont need a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about LCC? (London College of Communication)

They have a wide range of well-respected media courses for undergraduates including film, media and culture, TV production

It's a good idea to stick to academic subjects at a-level. If you decide against a vocational degree English Lit is the best option.

Also, if you really want to get into presenting I'd agree with the person who suggested drama...it will help build your confidence in front of the camera.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.