Turn on thread page Beta

X Factor results dicussed in Parliment - What the hell? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7720144.stm

X Factor fans have expressed their anger at Saturday night's result, which saw Laura White voted off the show.

The 21-year-old, who had been second favourite to win the ITV1 talent show, went up against Ruth Lorenzo in the sing-off, but the judges voted her off.

More than 3,500 fans have signed an online petition for White to be reinstated or get a record deal.

Culture Secretary Andy Burnham even raised the issue in Parliament, saying White's exit had been "very harsh".

His remarks came during Commons question time, as part of a discussion about the crude comments made by Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross on BBC Radio 2.

Mr Burnham remarked that MPs "should resist that temptation to comment on editorial matters.

"Although the temptation is great in my case, having seen the wonderful and talented Laura White very harshly voted off X Factor on Saturday."

White lives in Mr Burnham's constituency of Leigh in Greater Manchester.
    Good to see our government has its priorities straight... even better that he's said that MP's shouldn't comment on editorial matters, and then shot himself in the foot by commenting an editorial matter!!!

We're in the middle of an economic crisis... and the government wants to talk about what's on the tv!!! Bloody typical isn't it? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    hahah i JUST read that on digital spy.. how strrrange

ReputationRep:
    ahahahahahaha

it is true tho!

ReputationRep:
    Who cares. Daniel will win. Lulz

I read it too and it made me want to scream. It seems he's tried to hide the comment under an illusion of a comment about editorial comments. He's just fishing around for popularity. I would be much happier if Parliament discussed politics and matters in the public's interest instead of tripe like this and the Ross/Brand issue.

ReputationRep:
    Haha thats so funny

ReputationRep:
    :laugh: maybe it was said when they were eating tea and biscuits?

ReputationRep:
    All he was doing was using the X Factor as a humorous way of making the point that it's not for MPs to comment on the content of TV/radio.

ReputationRep:
    I THINK HE WAS USING SARCASM.

ReputationRep:
    Just one word for this: FAIL!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the same guy was on sky news complaining about the brand/wossy incident.

His job seems to be - Complain about stuff on the telebox to distract attention away from real political matters.

ReputationRep:
    I am a Labour supporter, but I feel this to be outrageous. Unless there is some sort of fixing going on, then it should NOT be discussed in Parliament. I mean I did not elect my MP to discuss the X Factor in Parliament, not that he ever would. But you get my point.

ReputationRep:
    Who gives one?
    Daniel will win, and it will be a battle between Daniel and Geraldine's new single to christmas number 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattaf)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7720144.stm

Good to see our government has its priorities straight... even better that he's said that MP's shouldn't comment on editorial matters, and then shot himself in the foot by commenting an editorial matter!!!

We're in the middle of an economic crisis... and the government wants to talk about what's on the tv!!! Bloody typical isn't it? :rolleyes:
    ffs, he was only making a joke :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Have we not got bigger problems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tetters)
    Have we not got bigger problems?
    Excuse me but what is bigger than X Factor?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, to answer those who are saying he was using sarcasm, he was making a joke etc... my problem is not specifically just this news story - it's the fact that mp's feel the need to get involved in these topics at all.

It seems to be the attitude in parliament that "every thing's going badly, there's nothing we can do to score brownie points with the public... WAIT! There's a TV scandal we can comment on and complain about! Hurrah! We're saved!"

MPs are there to debate REAL problems in our society - NOT to discuss who's upset who on TV last night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex-hs)
    ffs, he was only making a joke :rolleyes:

Some people will jump on any chance to bash the government, even if they have to ignore things to do it.

ReputationRep:
    you ******* tool

ReputationRep:
    GO ON DANIEL!!!!! W000000T hope he wins

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.