Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting on the grant *sigh* This ridiculously long holiday from italian uni is brilliant, but I'm starting to get a little bored now. But the alternative is going back to Milan which while fun is so stressful. Cannot wait for fourth year, I've seen my UCL friends a few times this holiday and it's made me realise how much I miss them!

ReputationRep:
    Any UCL life scientists in this thread? Have you been told about 'United Biosciences London'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mBadAtMaths)
    Any UCL life scientists in this thread? Have you been told about 'United Biosciences London'?
    PhD biologist here. I don't think I've heard about that, unless it's in my mountain of emails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gumball)
    PhD biologist here. I don't think I've heard about that, unless it's in my mountain of emails.
    Maybe it's just for undergrads. It's a group set up by one of Imperial's student reps that aims to bring together Imperial biochemistry, UCL biology and KCL biomedical science.

What are you doing in your PhD?

ReputationRep:
    wondering if any fellow UCLers have used the free counselling service and if they would recommend it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inner Poise)
    wondering if any fellow UCLers have used the free counselling service and if they would recommend it
    I have. I would recommend it, however, you have to be very patient 'cause it takes them some time to process your request for counselling. I guess people more likely to commit suicide have a priority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    I have. I would recommend it, however, you have to be very patient 'cause it takes them some time to process your request for counselling. I guess people more likely to commit suicide have a priority.
    oh okay. Well that kind of makes sense... I'm worried that they're going to tell me I'm over-reacting/don't actually need counselling. Are they quite approachable in general?

ReputationRep:
    oh okay. Well that kind of makes sense... I'm worried that they're going to tell me I'm over-reacting/don't actually need counselling. Are they quite approachable in general?
    I don't think it would happen that they'd neglect your problems. If you feel desperate, they would give you a guidance how to overcome this. In fact, the reason why I attend the sessions could be considered "marginal" by someone else, but it's important to understand that everyone can get into such a situation. From the experiences I've had, I can safely say they are very approachable and nice to talk to. They are very professional.

ReputationRep:
    I've used the UCL Psychological Services people, if that's who you're on about, and I would definitely recommend them. They have actual qualified psychiatrists/psychologists/etc and can refer you on to someone who can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I've used the UCL Psychological Services people, if that's who you're on about, and I would definitely recommend them. They have actual qualified psychiatrists/psychologists/etc and can refer you on to someone who can help
    Yeah, that's who I was talking about.
    Will probably go and check them out then :o:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody who's been on the year abroad - did you get the UCL bursary when you were away? The website's not very clear. I see you get double the amount in fourth year so I guess we don't get it when we're away?

Also, can't figure out maintenance grant either. Is it a no for that too?

ReputationRep:
    yes you do get it on your year abroad, same amount as first and second year

you also get maintenance grant, loan is slightly reduced as you're not in london but i got about 1,400 whereas usually i would get 1,800

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Anybody who's been on the year abroad - did you get the UCL bursary when you were away? The website's not very clear. I see you get double the amount in fourth year so I guess we don't get it when we're away?

Also, can't figure out maintenance grant either. Is it a no for that too?
    The handbooks says we'll continue to get it. Same with grants and loans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    yes you do get it on your year abroad, same amount as first and second year

you also get maintenance grant, loan is slightly reduced as you're not in london but i got about 1,400 whereas usually i would get 1,800
    (Original post by PJ991)
    The handbooks says we'll continue to get it. Same with grants and loans.
    Awesome, wonder why they double it in fourth year then :dontknow: Not that I'm complaining...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen the memes facebook page? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    'Why do KCL not celebrate Christmas? Because they have trouble finding three wise men and a virgin.'

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Any fun student night next Tuesday please? my gf is coming to visit (hmm valentine's magic^^) so would like to take her out.
    Is milkshake still on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    'Why do KCL not celebrate Christmas? Because they have trouble finding three wise men and a virgin.'

:rofl:
    I enjoyed the fact that not long afterwards they tried to make exactly the same one for us :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by destination unknown)
    Any fun student night next Tuesday please? my gf is coming to visit (hmm valentine's magic^^) so would like to take her out.
    Is milkshake still on?
    Milkshake as a UCL student?

***** please.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.