Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just been on Portico and have seen a mark of 45 for the French section of my year abroad. Ironically shocked, because I know exactly why this is and I expected the issue to have been dealt with much better.

I had ~0.7 CU worth of results marked as 'absent' on my Avignon transcript when I actually did hand them in and they were coursework assessed (not only that, they were ****ing heavy assessments for someone on an Erasmus year!) I discussed this with SELCS and they looked willing to follow it up for me to recover the marks, but since my YA mark is on Portico it looks like they've decided to do nothing.

How the hell can SELCS submit the mark without telling me the outcome of their review, and more importantly, why the hell is this shoddy system in place where a degree can be made or broken through a simple lack of communication between two universities?!

Needless to say, they'll be getting a firm phone call tomorrow morning. Overall, SELCS is **** and I want to egg that stupid **** who created it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    On a totally unrelated note, I saw you at Mullys last Tuesday and smiled and you gave me a 'who the hell are you look' so yeah if you wondered who the random idiot smiling at you was it was me
    Oh, sorry if I made you feel like that! Thank you and hopefully see you soon!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    Oh, sorry if I made you feel like that! Thank you and hopefully see you soon!
    No you didn't it was just a bemused 'do i know you?' look :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wave)
    Nah I'm cool with the ones on TSR. it's just in real life they're a bit all "Oh I'm a rich grammar school kid who is too cool to talk to you" or "i'm not gonna talk to you because you're not the same race as me" in real life.
    There is some truth in that. Most of my mates are from LSE, Kings and RVC.

People on my course are fine, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Just been on Portico and have seen a mark of 45 for the French section of my year abroad. Ironically shocked, because I know exactly why this is and I expected the issue to have been dealt with much better.

I had ~0.7 CU worth of results marked as 'absent' on my Avignon transcript when I actually did hand them in and they were coursework assessed (not only that, they were ****ing heavy assessments for someone on an Erasmus year!) I discussed this with SELCS and they looked willing to follow it up for me to recover the marks, but since my YA mark is on Portico it looks like they've decided to do nothing.

How the hell can SELCS submit the mark without telling me the outcome of their review, and more importantly, why the hell is this shoddy system in place where a degree can be made or broken through a simple lack of communication between two universities?!

Needless to say, they'll be getting a firm phone call tomorrow morning. Overall, SELCS is **** and I want to egg that stupid **** who created it.
    You'd think they'd have procedures in place, considering how common it seems to be for foreign unis to **** up their erasmus assessments. I know loads of people who have had their courses marked as not completed, solely because the teacher lost their work.

To be honest, it's a complete joke assessing year abroads on foreign exams. The assessments in the first place vary so wildly- I know people whose exams were completely multiple choice, others who are writing essays several thousand words long. And then the lenience given to erasmus students by each uni varies so much too- some teachers flat out refuse to fail erasmuses, but I've heard of others examining them like local students. It's definitely a step in the right direction to have moved onto this year abroad project as a means of assessment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    You'd think they'd have procedures in place, considering how common it seems to be for foreign unis to **** up their erasmus assessments. I know loads of people who have had their courses marked as not completed, solely because the teacher lost their work.

To be honest, it's a complete joke assessing year abroads on foreign exams. The assessments in the first place vary so wildly- I know people whose exams were completely multiple choice, others who are writing essays several thousand words long. And then the lenience given to erasmus students by each uni varies so much too- some teachers flat out refuse to fail erasmuses, but I've heard of others examining them like local students. It's definitely a step in the right direction to have moved onto this year abroad project as a means of assessment.
    Agree with every word.

Got a nice reply today:

"Dear Jonathan,

We urgently need from you any documentation you have relating to the 2 courses E014101 and EO4102 that you say that you took and that they were worth 4.5 EC credits each. Please bring this to the French dept office as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

xxxxxxxxxxxx"

Looks like they're willing to review the mark, which is promising, but I'm also being treated as guilty until proven innocent and being asked to come up with documentation that I'm quite clearly not going to have.

**** my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    Do you think it's too late to join The Cheese Grater now? Kerily was right - it's more enjoyable than Pi!
    I am obviously always right :ahee:

I took part in one of those daft promotional videos for the elections today ('you should bother voting in the UCLU elections because...') and I got given a voucher for free tea/coffee at the end. Went in Gordon's, ordered a large mocha, found out the vouchers only worked for filter coffee or tea. Gutted :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I am obviously always right :ahee:

I took part in one of those daft promotional videos for the elections today ('you should bother voting in the UCLU elections because...') and I got given a voucher for free tea/coffee at the end. Went in Gordon's, ordered a large mocha, found out the vouchers only worked for filter coffee or tea. Gutted :emo:
    Only two drinks I ever order at college cafés :yeah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Only two drinks I ever order at college cafés :yeah:
    The filter coffee in Gordon's is actually diluted mud, I am 99% sure :emo: Anything a bit fancier is normally tastier, just because of the extra sugar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    The filter coffee in Gordon's is actually diluted mud, I am 99% sure :emo: Anything a bit fancier is normally tastier, just because of the extra sugar.
    Always worth it to spend the extra 10p at Print Room, but even there once I had a coffee that didn't filter properly, the result was.. ugh.

ReputationRep:
    I've put off my dissertation now I have just over a month to do it tra la la la la

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I've just been drinking refined tiger semen recently. Really has a kick y'know?

All the union cafes seem to sell merely passable coffee for not very cheap; is the Print Room really better? I get an uncontrollable urge to stamp on my own face whenever I go to Costa.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know any Economics students currently on their year abroad that I can contact?

ReputationRep:
    Just got this email from S***S.

Dear every single one of you,

I hope you are keeping well. Would you please do me a humungous favour? I’d like SELCS to have the highest turnout of any UCL department in the National Student Survey – well, while we are about it, why not the highest in the country. We’re doing well so far; some more returns will see us reaching heights never before reached in the long history of SELCS.

The NSS is a good thing and all the admin and teaching staff in SECLS take the data it provides very seriously. This week, for instance, Jakob Stougaard-Nielsen and I have been completing SELCS’s Teaching and Learning Strategy for the next four or five years and we have made repeated references to NSS surveys. So the NSS is not a sop. It’s a good moment to tell us what you like and what you don’t like.

Thank you. See you all somewhere sometime,

xxxxxxx
    Deliberate irony? :nothing:

Either way, I said it was dire.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really drink coffee or tea but that Costa machine is such a genius idea. Especially if you're falling asleep in the library...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fait)
    I don't really drink coffee or tea but that Costa machine is such a genius idea. Especially if you're falling asleep in the library...
    True, although I had expected the prices to be a bit lower than they are atm - they are saving on wages, rent etc after all...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Exam Timetables are up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Exam Timetables are up!
    I heard we would be getting them today but I haven't been emailed anything and I couldn't see it on portico. How did you access yours?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Valh)
    I heard we would be getting them today but I haven't been emailed anything and I couldn't see it on portico. How did you access yours?
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/current-student...nTimetable2012

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! So was this link emailed to you then?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.