Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    I dropped out for quite a few reasons. I went to Lancaster because I wanted to go to university that year so much, even though it wasn't my first choice at all and I knew I could do so much better. When I arrived, I realised that firstly straight economics was not really what I wanted to do. But mainly, I seriously felt I could do better than Lancaster, given my past academic achievements. What was also linked to the reason I definitely wanted to leave was that I didn't meat anyone that I really clicked with. Maybe if I had found a group of friends, it might have meant I would have stayed, but definitely for the wrong reasons. It was definitely the best choice I ever made, partly because I grew up so much during my gap year but I proved to myself that I can do so much better, and I should nevr just "settle" because it was easy at the time. And that's been translated into so many things I do now.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like you want to leave UCL because of the university. During my first year, I was extremely depressed, and I actually didn't go to any lectures or tutorials for 2 weeks straight. I struggled to get out of bed, and it scared me to venture out into my hall corridors. Amongst other of course. It took me a long time to find the resources available at UCL about who could help me. There is a counselling service available, and best of all it's free. They do say they take on people first who need it the most, and I was top of the list. However, my mate at uni also used the service in her first term in first year when she was home sick. She just found it easier to talk to someone about it, because she didn't know who else to talk to about. They didn't respond to her straight away, but she emailed them again, saying she was really interested and they met up with her straight away. Maybe this is something you could look into?

Do you think it's UCL in particular you can't do for another 4 years, or your course?

I study economics and business with east European studies. It's at ssees but I am half Russian.
    I'm at SSEES too for half of my degree (Russian) and while it's great and the course is very good, I don't think I chose the right one. I do like it but not enough to do a degree in it and there's something else I think I can put a lot more passion into (I had doubts up to a year ago but pushed them back and thought they would go away). I do like the uni but I am slightly regretting not moving out of London. I am going through a bit of what you did and have literally just been commuting this week because I'm sick of being there. I've missed out on a lot of social opportunities too because I just don't want to go out any more. What complicates things is that I've just been diagnosed with depression and I'm not sure whether it's wise to make big decisions like this now. I don't know how much is being influenced by my state of mind atm but at the same time, time is running out and I don't want to miss out on applying for 2013 entry, if I decide to drop out. I really think a gap year would do me a world of good. Should have taken one in the first place really to sort my head out :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what can I do for bonfire night? Looking for an event for me and my friends now (we're going to Oxford Street first).

ReputationRep:
    ****. If I had any useful advice for the still-at-UCL people, it'd be to stay in education. Forever and ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    ****. If I had any useful advice for the still-at-UCL people, it'd be to stay in education. Forever and ever.
    Why? Still unemployed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    Why? Still unemployed?
    No, but still out of my beloved city.

ReputationRep:
    i <3 my professor. so much. ESPS people also finally got personal tutors this term. so it's actually as though I'm a proper uni student and not just distance learning or some ****!

ReputationRep:
    Might be a silly question, but I submitted my YA application today, but then I realised I forgot to write down which countries I'll go to and how long I'll be there - well, actually, I wrote down my university preferences and their locations for both semesters, so I'm not sure if omitting one column will do me harm, especially if the information is written elsewhere. I don't know whether to go to Novella's offie again, but honestly, I've already embarrassed myself there, so I'd like to avoid appearing there if possible.

Might be a silly question, but I submitted my YA application today, but then I realised I forgot to write down which countries I'll go to and how long I'll be there - well, actually, I wrote down my university preferences and their locations for both semesters, so I'm not sure if omitting one column will do me harm, especially if the information is written elsewhere. I don't know whether to go to Novella's offie again, but honestly, I've already embarrassed myself there, so I'd like to avoid appearing there if possible.
    she is a terrifying woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nb0)
    she is a terrifying woman.
    I've just learnt I could have submitted it to Karin *facepalm*

I've just learnt I could have submitted it to Karin *facepalm*
    *sob* ahhhhh

ReputationRep:
    But they share an office anyway, so if you went to see one of them, chances are the other would be there too. I thought the person in the Spanish dept. did them all though?

ReputationRep:
    want to get this essay finished by the end of the weekend... only 2,800 words to go... lmao

ReputationRep:
    Just been offered a job back in London, so may make the odd Roxy cameo with some old friends! Yes, even with work the next day

ReputationRep:
    jesus 3,500 word essays are a slog. thought i had 1,500 words of this one until i realised i'd double-pasted. so basically i have a whole essay left to do. :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    I have a 5,000 word one to write this holiday It's depressing writing 2.000 words and being less than halfway.
    Having half written at this stage is pretty amazing going though. Ample room for chilling out over the holiday.

7000 words by jan seventh... oh woe is me

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who's already finished their essays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    True! Final year is tougher than I expected, definitely ready for a break. Everyone's going job hunt crazy at the moment, I just can't get into it.

What's the new job?
    The fact that I thought I'd get a 2:2 and was convinced I needed to devote all of my time to uni work probably explains my autumn predicament of no job (or no grad job). The thing is you can't really apply for immediate small-medium enterprise openings if you're still at uni. All you can really go for are the grad schemes, the recruitment processes for which which are pretty soul destroying after the thousandth 'numerical reasoning' test.

As for the job, it's loss adjusting. Basically advising on insurance claims for road traffic accidents for British insured cars in France and French insured cars here. Hopefully I'll be able to get a bit of a leg up in comparative law. I had a dabble last year and I found it fascinating.

Am I the only one who's already finished their essays?
    go away.

ReputationRep:
    7,000 words is pish. i had 10,000 last year and 12,500 this year #wordcountolympics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.