Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by ily_em)
    Yes that is my main concern. My degree is linguistics so it is related, but it will be the final year of my degree. If it is hard to get a good grade in TEFL I'd rather do some easier courses as my optional unit.
    to be honest with you, what you might consider is doing the british council teaching assistantship after you graduate. you need no tefl qualification. therefore if you like it, go back to ucl and do the month long celta qualification. i'm no expert but i'm not sure how important that is when it comes to getting an english teaching job abroad, i'd have thought in lots of places being able to speak english and having that year as a british council teacher would be enough, but i don't know. i'm sure that often one does need the celta qualification.

personally, i intend to do the british council assistantship programme in germany, austria or switzerland. i'll earn money (for my masters degree) and get really good at german (fingers crossed) and this will tell me if it's worth it to spend the next few years teaching english in a more independent, professional context, ie needing a qualification.
    the reason i am not doing the tefl course is that by my final year, there isn't any space, what with two units of language, one unit of dissertation. i want to spend the last unit free doing stuff relevant to my masters/my actual interests, rather than concerning myself with jobs which is surely a subject for after i've finished bumming around as a student/itinerant english teacher.

(Original post by JoannaMilano)
    It's getting harder and harder to find good tefl jobs without either a CELTA or a TESOL. Even South Korea (which has long been one of the highest paid places for unqualified teachers) are getting stricter. Doing the British Council thing wouldn't qualify as experience under most Countries standards, and even the British Council don't accept it as experience! To be hired by them you need several years teaching experience, and they specifically say that the assistant scheme doesn't count because you're an assistant not a teacher.

You can always find jobs without qualifications but they'll be less well paid, less reputable schools and generally you'll have a worse experience as you'll be thrown in the deep end.

If the TEFL course unit is the CELTA certificate, i'd do it. Saves shelling out a thousand pounds later!
    gah i was hoping i was right... now i have to do the damn £1000 thing >_<

Yeah, it sucks. But if you went to South Korea, you'd make back your money on the CELTA in the first year (it gets you a pay rise of about £100 a month, so obviously there's no benefit in the first year, but after that you're in profit!).

My brother works in Hong Kong as an English teacher, and he got the job without qualifications. But crucially his wife works at an international school and earns enough to support them both, and he got the job by sheer fluke through her professional connections (so if someone just turned up alone looking for a job, they probably wouldn't have found one). So it didn't matter to him if the job was low paid, he got fired unfairly, they scammed him or refused to pay at all. He was being paid half of what his qualified colleague was, and they eventually made him certify anyway.
    i hope to teach in germany/austria/switzerland so theoretically i won't have those risks?! eek. oh man maybe this fallback plan to bum around europe teaching english isn't the most practical...

ReputationRep:
    There are also just a lot less opportunities in Europe to teach in the first place, since so many Europeans speak such good English. In Asia, you would struggle to find someone who could speak fluent English without a fair amount of accent, and it's a long way from English speaking nations so less people are likely to head there in the first place. Europe- and in particular the countries you list- have good English speakers in their own populations, and are right next door to the "home" of the English language so they're highly desirable for British teachers. In Scandinavia it is literally almost impossible to find a job teaching English even as a qualified native speaker, since so many people in the countries speak English perfectly themselves.
    You can teach children...

What risks? Language schools are just as likely to be corrupt in Europe as in Asia. Unless you either have qualifications or a large financial safety net to fall back on, I don't see why you'd be better off in Europe than Asia.

There are also just a lot less opportunities in Europe to teach in the first place, since so many Europeans speak such good English. In Asia, you would struggle to find someone who could speak fluent English without a fair amount of accent, and it's a long way from English speaking nations so less people are likely to head there in the first place. Europe- and in particular the countries you list- have good English speakers in their own populations, and are right next door to the "home" of the English language so they're highly desirable for British teachers. In Scandinavia it is literally almost impossible to find a job teaching English even as a qualified native speaker, since so many people in the countries speak English perfectly themselves.

From looking around, English teaching jobs in Europe are also pretty badly paid relative to living costs. In Italy, you were looking at around €1,200 a month and living costs really aren't much different to England. It's a similar situation in Spain. I imagine Germany/Austria/Switzerland would pay more, but equally they cost a lot more to live.
    ohhh... i'm sad. thanks for telling me. maybe i'll go to russia then. tbh i don't particularly want to do it, it's more than it pays very well in switzerland with the british council and i can't pay for my masters otherwise... oh well. thanks for telling me i really do appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    It's honestly a ***** revising for 8 exams. I know I did last year but damn, it's just too depressing and long.

We're all gonna make it.

ReputationRep:
    It's very, very easy to get teaching work in Russia even if your Russian is nonexistent, at really good rates too (my mates when I was over there on my year abroad were getting the equivalent of £20 an hour)

Of course the only reason I am on this thread is because I'm not doing the pitiful amount of work I have...

(Original post by littleshambles)
    It's very, very easy to get teaching work in Russia even if your Russian is nonexistent, at really good rates too (my mates when I was over there on my year abroad were getting the equivalent of £20 an hour)

Of course the only reason I am on this thread is because I'm not doing the pitiful amount of work I have...
    :drool:
    yayyyyyy

ReputationRep:
    Good luck over the coming weeks guys. Especially the finalists amongst you, go hard!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody getting ridiculously drunk after their exams?

Silly question?

ReputationRep:
    OMG OMG 6 days since first exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ade9000)
    Anybody getting ridiculously drunk after their exams?

Silly question?
    So so silly.

I'm planning on being drunk/going out every single night after my final exam.

Including a night (or two) in my 3 weeks in between my penultimate and my final (half an easy unit) exam :P

ReputationRep:
    I have one exam in the Denys Holland Lecture Theatre. Now is this a normal lecture theatre? How does this work?!

And I have another exam in the Chemistry auditorium. Now I know this is a lecture theatre. We aren't expect to sit at those tiny tables for an exam are we?! Where you can look down onto someone else's exam paper?!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    I have one exam in the Denys Holland Lecture Theatre. Now is this a normal lecture theatre? How does this work?!

And I have another exam in the Chemistry auditorium. Now I know this is a lecture theatre. We aren't expect to sit at those tiny tables for an exam are we?! Where you can look down onto someone else's exam paper?!
    Denys holland is a lecture theatre with fixed chairs and tiny tables...

My first exam is in a church. Nothing like the fear of God to help me pass this exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Denys holland is a lecture theatre with fixed chairs and tiny tables...

My first exam is in a church. Nothing like the fear of God to help me pass this exam
    This is ridiculous. And we do our exams in there?! I need to spread out. I like to stretch out my legs. I refuse.

Ahh, I think I know that one. On TCR? I know it got evacuated last year with the crazy guy throwing computers out the office :P
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    This is ridiculous. And we do our exams in there?! I need to spread out. I like to stretch out my legs. I refuse.

Ahh, I think I know that one. On TCR? I know it got evacuated last year with the crazy guy throwing computers out the office :P
    Yeah that's pretty sucky situation.

Nope, somewhere in Holborn.

ReputationRep:
    I remember doing my first year outside option, Principles of Sociology, in that church on High Holborn. It was my least favourite venue. I liked Bishopsgate Institute. Just a shame about the commute during rush hour for a morning exam.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh that holborn church... If Im correct it's the one with a million floors right? And they never tell you where to go for your exam (had two in there), so you had to go back to the list and check what the exact location code for your exam is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    I remember doing my first year outside option, Principles of Sociology, in that church on High Holborn. It was my least favourite venue. I liked Bishopsgate Institute. Just a shame about the commute during rush hour for a morning exam.
    Welcome to real life :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know about what happens if you fail a year? :sigh:

Seems like I might need to have this in mind when results come out :emo:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.