Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Anyone know about what happens if you fail a year? :sigh:

Seems like I might need to have this in mind when results come out :emo:
    how much of the year do you think you might fail? If it's only 1 module you can progress and just resit the failed module next year. If you fail a exam compulsory for progression you need to do the year again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    how much of the year do you think you might fail? If it's only 1 module you can progress and just resit the failed module next year. If you fail a exam compulsory for progression you need to do the year again.
    Thanks!

Well I think I will possibly fail one module out of my 8 and I read on my department site that you can fail up to 2 for the second year.

So they don't kick you out if you fail and the year? And by doing the year again the modules aren't capped?

ReputationRep:
    Just realised that I had the first of my finals on 1 May 2012 :moon:

A whole year. Where the hell's it gone..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Well I think I will possibly fail one module out of my 8 and I read on my department site that you can fail up to 2 for the second year.

So they don't kick you out if you fail and the year? And by doing the year again the modules aren't capped?
    nah, they won't kick you out. The worst case is they'll ask you to do the year again. I was never told about the modules being capped. I resat an exam that I completely missed and no one ever mentioned, and none of the paperwork mentioned that there would be a cap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    nah, they won't kick you out. The worst case is they'll ask you to do the year again. I was never told about the modules being capped. I resat an exam that I completely missed and no one ever mentioned, and none of the paperwork mentioned that there would be a cap.
    Ok thanks for the information.

Can't believe I find myself in the situation I am in, especially since I got good results first year :emo:

Feelsbadman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    Just five days and I'll never have to speak Italian again

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you really looking forward not to make use of your degree?

ReputationRep:
    It's a pretty useless degree for me, tbh. It's worth it, in that I can say I have one. I found bits of it interesting- but just as much dull.

But even if I was fluent, Italian is of limited use in the working world when you don't want to live in the country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then why did you do Italian...

ReputationRep:
    Because at the time it interested me? i.e The same reason most people choose their degree. It's not exactly unheard of for people to change their minds over something over a four year period.

Especially when your department has been completely restructured for each and every one of your years.
    You can always drop out or transfer. And even without all of that, how can a departmental disorganisation affect your relationship to an academic discipline?

I know people that didn't like their degrees either, but they were those that just wanted a degree in anything, regardless of whether it appealed to them or not. I just feel sorry for them - they could have spent their three or four years of existence in a wiser way.

ReputationRep:
    I was doing the same course. I left after 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    I was doing the same course. I left after 2 years.
    What are you doing now? Still at UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    You can always drop out or transfer. And even without all of that, how can a departmental disorganisation affect your relationship to an academic discipline?

I know people that didn't like their degrees either, but they were those that just wanted a degree in anything, regardless of whether it appealed to them or not. I just feel sorry for them - they could have spent their three or four years of existence in a wiser way.
    At a significant financial burden. I admit I was never so pushed that I had to seriously consider my position at UCL, but there's a difference between absolutely hating your course and tuition and simply being disillusioned by final year, your opinion on the university purpose having shifted somewhat.

And as for SELCS, well yeah actually let's not go into them.

With your last point though, we can all dream of a wiser 16 year old self. But the reality is we're pushed to make what could be a life-defining choice too early. Not really having known the ins and outs of legal practice or investment banking to name two high-flying careers, I just wanted to keep up my fluency in French and Spanish and take up the opportunities offered to me (living abroad, speaking regularly). Using hindsight in this case is harsh.

ReputationRep:
    Ohmigod the YA admin was ****e when I was abroad, and it sounds like it never improved.

Loved being at UCL, hated the department. Not hard tbf.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I transfer, when im at the most prestigious university in the only city I want to live in?

Why would I drop out and waste the years and money I'd already put in?

And why do you assume that being glad my degree is over means I wanted to drop out? That's extremist.

Don't feel sorry for me. Its patronising in the extreme to assume that just because you did your degree for one reason (interest in course) and it worked out for you, that other people with different outlooks (location, lack of passion but stull wanting the opportunity a degree offers, wanting the student experience, not wanting to waste time/money already spent) should be pitied by you or 'could have spent their time in a wiser way'.

And departmental disorganisation meant that:
    1. I couldn't do outside options, which is one of the things that drew me in.
    2. We were the guinea pigs for a completely new system for assessing the Year Abroad, and lots of our grades suffered because there was no consensus on a mark scheme.
    3. The above new assessment system for the YA was not what I signed up for and changed the experience.
    4. Merging all the departments meant we lost our dedicated YA tutors, so specific Italy based support was lacking.

To be honest, the main thing that put me off was a lack of interesting content courses. But the admin issues built on that.
    I've never assumed you wanted to drop out - I just listed it as one of the options to overcome dissatisfaction.

ReputationRep:
    Novella hardly comes across as one of the more organised people. I did one of her taught courses in 2nd year, and I absolutely hated it. It was so boring. She obviously knew her stuff and a lot of it, but it was dull. She certainly isn't a dull person, just the content was.

ReputationRep:
    What are you doing now? Still at UCL?
    Nah, I was given the opportunity to swap to a new course, but left for LSE instead. I kind of miss the UCL student experience and life, I think it was a lot better, but I never properly got into UCL and I think the change to a new scenery, albeit just down the road, was a much better option for me at the time.

Because at the time it interested me? i.e The same reason most people choose their degree. It's not exactly unheard of for people to change their minds over something over a four year period.

Especially when your department has been completely restructured for each and every one of your years.
    preach it, sista.

i changed degrees. the financial stuff is terribly difficult to cope with. but i was miserable in my old degree. i'm ridiculously happy in my new one. i think changing degrees ought only to be done in extremis. if i hadn't had changed degrees, i could do internships over the summer instead of working. i could get a position at the wiener library or at the holocaust educational trust and go to the holocaust summer schools in munich and helsinki... oh well it doesn't do to dream, does it :'(
    (i do actually look forward to the job i've taken this summer, at a language school)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nb0)
    i changed degrees. the financial stuff is terribly difficult to cope with. but i was miserable in my old degree. i'm ridiculously happy in my new one. i think changing degrees ought only to be done in extremis. if i hadn't had changed degrees, i could do internships over the summer instead of working. i could get a position at the wiener library or at the holocaust educational trust and go to the holocaust summer schools in munich and helsinki... oh well it doesn't do to dream, does it :'(
    (i do actually look forward to the job i've taken this summer, at a language school)
    I emailed the Wiener Library and offered to volunteer for them as they had advertised for the positions. They didn't even reply with a rejection.

(Original post by PJ991)
    I emailed the Wiener Library and offered to volunteer for them as they had advertised for the positions. They didn't even reply with a rejection.
    i think they're very picky. they're rather famous. they like overseas people most i think, perhaps particularly ones with rich parents...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nb0)
    i think they're very picky. they're rather famous. they like overseas people most i think, perhaps particularly ones with rich parents...
    Are you serious? 6 months full time unpaid work? Why would you even go there? I mean, just reading the job description makes me want to bring up the old Jewish and money stereotypes, because it looks like labor exploitation right here....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.