Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MulderMan)
    Today was the first time I've been in the library and it has been really busy.

I completely understand what you mean now!

I went to the chemistry section around 2pm, it was about half full, but there were no spaces as they were 'reserved'.

I then go to the computer cluster, and the same thing there. Machines logged off, but everyones crap over the desk.

Can't we just move people stuff?
    I reckon, if they're logged off, have a quick word with the person next to them and ask how long they've been gone. Anything over 20 -30 minutes? **** them, they've had their shot.

Can you tell I'm losing my patience with people like this?

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, If/When I get to UCL I might not be as nice or forgiving as you guys. People started doing this in my school, but guess what? After a week or two of stuff being literally pushed off desks and stuff going missing, people stopped doing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    Oh dear, If/When I get to UCL I might not be as nice or forgiving as you guys. People started doing this in my school, but guess what? After a week or two of stuff being literally pushed off desks and stuff going missing, people stopped doing it
    You're underestimating how many people are doing this. Of course things like that work in college when it's a handful of people who have the monopoly on being so selfish. This is hundreds of people, 24/7.

Someone recalled a book that I'd had out for one day, and it was only a one week loan in the first place. The library system turns people into *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    You're underestimating how many people are doing this. Of course things like that work in college when it's a handful of people who have the monopoly on being so selfish. This is hundreds of people, 24/7.

Someone recalled a book that I'd had out for one day, and it was only a one week loan in the first place. The library system turns people into *******s.
    I'm running up a fine on a book that I know I won't see again if I go to pay it. It will definitely have been recalled.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God. I'm not looking forward to actually having to go to the Library after tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I'm running up a fine on a book that I know I won't see again if I go to pay it. It will definitely have been recalled.
    Yeah, I have no intention of taking this book back. I got it out intending to keep it a week longer and run up the fine anyway. The library allegedly have the wrong email on file for me anyway, so I don't get their recall notices and can plead ignorance. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Yeah, I have no intention of taking this book back. I got it out intending to keep it a week longer and run up the fine anyway. The library allegedly have the wrong email on file for me anyway, so I don't get their recall notices and can plead ignorance. :woo:
    I got this response from the Library today:

Dear Mr xxx,

We know this to be a problem, but there is in practice very little we
    can do about it. It isn't apparent to anybody 'policing' the area
    whether a vacant space is vacant for a short period or a longer one (how
    does one define short and long in this context?), nor are we staffed to
    be able to take measurements of this. If the problem were one with a
    solution to hand, we could look at whether we are resourced to be able
    to intervene, but I sense that isn't the case here.

Until today, I would have advised you to try to find spaces before
    lunchtime as it is usually very much quieter in the mornings. However, I
    would be the first to acknowledge that the Main Library, where I am
    based, is full up today already and I have no reason to think that the
    Science Library is any different.

I will forward your message to my colleagues in the attendants team but,
    as I say, I think we are limited in terms of what we can do.

Kind regards,

Vincent Matthews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MulderMan)
    I got this response from the Library today:
    So he's effectively condoning it? Grr.

ReputationRep:
    i just want to walk into the hjs library and just scream in the face of anyone who isn't hjs. i will ******* kill them.

not that i go in the library except to steal paper, but whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    So he's effectively condoning it? Grr.
    If they won't do anything about it, then it just may be time, for a little...

VIGILANTE JUSTICE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-57Ivfwz8

ReputationRep:
    who knows when union's open till this friday?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    that's what i thought. you coming?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly if only for an hour or two. Revision innit.

ReputationRep:
    why are you in the library, at 11pm, in the Law section, taking up valuable plug space on your BATTERY POWERED laptop ON FACEBOOK? **** you. **** YOU. ****. YOU.

Oh and Law students who think they own the Law library can **** off. I need a plug, the Law library has plugs, and SSEES is full of PhD students writing about five thousand words an hour for 12 hours straight. In HUNGARIAN. You can see them wrinkling up in real time.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the library last night. Just confirmed my opinion that people are *******s. I half sneezed (Silently!) and three people glared at me. I yawned (again, silently!) and someone else glared at me. I got my book out my bag and people glared at me. Bear in mind this is over a four hour period, not all at once.

I really don't get why people don't work at home. So much less hassle. Especially if you're the kind of person who gets pissed off at other people YAWNING, surely it makes more sense to stay at home away from all those other selfish folk distracting you by living?

ReputationRep:
    I've started dumping peoples stuff on the floor if they've been gone for an hour or more when I'm sitting next to them.

I feel like Rambo.

On another note, there's a guy giving out free Baskins and Robbins icecream outside of the quad! Win.

ReputationRep:
    I always just worked in my room... so much less hassle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)

Tbf it's kind of hard to work out how long people have had the book for. I've had to recall loads of books, there's like one or two of the books I need and about 60 people preparing for an exam so of course more than one person is going to want it.

If someone recalled it I would just read through it on the night time and then photocopy what i needed and take it back. It will probably work out as not much more expensive than if I kept it and ended up with a fine. It's not fair to just hoard the book just because YOU need it, yes you got it first but there are other people trying to revise too and it's not their fault the library doesn't have an infinite supply of books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noémie)
    i just want to walk into the hjs library and just scream in the face of anyone who isn't hjs. i will ******* kill them.

not that i go in the library except to steal paper, but whatever.
    Why? It's not your library, we're all paying our tuition fees. Just get the **** over it. It's a stupid idea to think people should only stick to 'their' area of the library. My subject doesn't even have it's own reading room, am I just supposed to sit on the floor in the corridor and do my work????

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.