University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Woah. Chill pill son.

a_t
x

Swear I saw you at least twice yesterday. :sexface:

Going into the Economics reading room about half 4-5 and then again on Gower Street at half 10-11?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 961
flying twig
Tbf it's kind of hard to work out how long people have had the book for. I've had to recall loads of books, there's like one or two of the books I need and about 60 people preparing for an exam so of course more than one person is going to want it.

If someone recalled it I would just read through it on the night time and then photocopy what i needed and take it back. It will probably work out as not much more expensive than if I kept it and ended up with a fine. It's not fair to just hoard the book just because YOU need it, yes you got it first but there are other people trying to revise too and it's not their fault the library doesn't have an infinite supply of books

It was a week loan, they knew the most they'd have to wait was a week. The exam isn't even until the end of the month, so it's not like they need it right now. It's stupid and petty to recall a book that's on a one week loan. There's no need for it. The library catalogue tells you when the book is due back, so just go in on that date and get it. And if it's a one week loan book then I'd presume someone bright enough to get into UCL would be able to work out when the book was taken out in the first place.

You're missing the point of a library-to take books out and read them when you need them. If I wanted to read the book on the exact same day I got it out, I wouldn't have taken it out of the library in the first place. :rolleyes:
Lizia
It was a week loan, they knew the most they'd have to wait was a week. The exam isn't even until the end of the month, so it's not like they need it right now. It's stupid and petty to recall a book that's on a one week loan. There's no need for it. The library catalogue tells you when the book is due back, so just go in on that date and get it. And if it's a one week loan book then I'd presume someone bright enough to get into UCL would be able to work out when the book was taken out in the first place.

You're missing the point of a library-to take books out and read them when you need them. If I wanted to read the book on the exact same day I got it out, I wouldn't have taken it out of the library in the first place. :rolleyes:

You get the book for a week, if someone else needs it and they request it you can't renew it but you still get it for a week and then it's their turn. If they wait till it's back you could just keep renewing it and they'd never get it... I've been burnt by it, but it's still fair I think.

My course has like 120 people, around 5 copies of the main textbooks it seems are in the library. Plus I think there's cross overs of our course with some others, so if you want a book you pretty much have to request it or be super lucky!
Reply 963
thepinkpowerranger
You get the book for a week, if someone else needs it and they request it you can't renew it but you still get it for a week and then it's their turn. If they wait till it's back you could just keep renewing it and they'd never get it... I've been burnt by it, but it's still fair I think.

My course has like 120 people, around 5 copies of the main textbooks it seems are in the library. Plus I think there's cross overs of our course with some others, so if you want a book you pretty much have to request it or be super lucky!

I can understand requesting it if you have that many people on the course. But mine has 20 people on it, the book isn't even super-relevant to the course at all, and I know most of the course wouldn't go to the library anyway. It was more the pettiness of recalling the book when it was so unnecessary that pissed me off.
Lizia
x

How was your French Oral? Who'd you have?

you do French, right? And you don't do Projects?
Lizia
I'm an annoying one, I don't technically do French. I did French and Italian at the start of term, then switched to straight Italian. Still had to continue MOMF and Lit though :frown: MOMF was today actually, not as disastrous as expected!

My room-mate does French and she said they were fairly nice. She had Anais though, who scares me quite a lot. I think I might have cried if I had to do an oral exam with her. My friend had Haddour and said he looked bored throughout her presentation :s-smilie:

Sorry to disappoint. I'm sure I'll be moaning tomorrow after my Italian oral about how much easier French is :frown:

You had MOMF today? I had that on like 20 May last year! :eek:

Still, the only exam I got 70 on, was well chuffed :woo:

Yeah Haddour's cool, I had him last year for MOMF and this year for Culture and Society. I also had him last year for my oral exam. He gave me a third (granted, I was quite ill that week).

I had Fournier for the exam this year. She won't have given me any less than 60, she loves me. :biggrin:
Reply 966
rockrunride
You had MOMF today? I had that on like 20 May last year! :eek:

Still, the only exam I got 70 on, was well chuffed :woo:

Yeah Haddour's cool, I had him last year for MOMF and this year for Culture and Society. I also had him last year for my oral exam. He gave me a third (granted, I was quite ill that week).

I had Fournier for the exam this year. She won't have given me any less than 60, she loves me. :biggrin:

Yeah, and Lit on Tuesday. But after that, I'm free of French (and more importantly, the French department!) forever. Scary thought. I love Marie Fournier, although she scared me at first.

Oh God, I think I'm actually going to stab myself in the face before tomorrow. Presentations are so useless. I'd much rather turn up and just have a chat. Our topics were so silly:

1. If you were an animal for the day, what would you do and why?
2. If you woke up and it was London 3216 (strangely specific date there!), describe the city.
3. Tell me about a book you didn't finish reading. Why did you stop?

Seriously, I couldn't talk about a book I DID finish reading for almost five minutes, never mind one I didn't! There was a more sensible topic about a place we want to see that I think everyone is doing.
They should seriously let you choose your own. They're going to get bored hearing the same answers all the time.. how did it go?

In other news, the Economics library is swell. :sexface:
Reply 968
It went pretty well, I think. They were nice to me, and I failed a bit on the "read an unseen text and answer questions" bit, but the presentation and answers were fine. Better than my friend. I don't know if they do get bored, they seemed to be trying to come up with the most bizarre questions possible. My friend mentioned elephants were his favourite animal, and he was asked if he knew that some elephants lived in trees, and did he have any elephant facts like that?

adilmorrison
X

It was nice to meet you yesterday at last! Sorry I was so drunk and ridiculous. You should definitely come out with us sometime!
Reply 969
I'm finished exams :sexface:
paddy
I'm finished exams :sexface:

I finished a week last friday!

Anyone going summer ball?
I finish Friday. In the library right now cramming for that last exam. Racing tomorrow evening as well D:

Summer ball = yes. Though before you scream "why?!?!" at me, I have money more or less to throw away atm :holmes:
rockrunride
I finish Friday. In the library right now cramming for that last exam. Racing tomorrow evening as well D:

Summer ball = yes. Though before you scream "why?!?!" at me, I have money more or less to throw away atm :holmes:

I am as well, although like you I do fit into the camp of more money than sense....
i finished last thursday yeaaaaaaah
Reply 974
last tuesday. boom.
my exams don't even start til 9th june :|
Library is getting emptier. Economics is a bit sparse, you no longer need to be there at 8.45 to guarantee a seat.

Been seeing steadily more grads in there as well..
Reply 977
rockrunride
Library is getting emptier. Economics is a bit sparse, you no longer need to be there at 8.45 to guarantee a seat.

Been seeing steadily more grads in there as well..

Hope the exam went/goes well :yy:
Reply 978
Hello,

I'm a 6th form student interested in studying history at UCL. I looked on your website and there are two history courses, one offers A*AA and the other ABB. So have I read that right, you do two? Or am I missed something? And Is there much of a difference between the two courses?

Thank you very much!
HPhillyD
Hello,

I'm a 6th form student interested in studying history at UCL. I looked on your website and there are two history courses, one offers A*AA and the other ABB. So have I read that right, you do two? Or am I missed something? And Is there much of a difference between the two courses?

Thank you very much!

First of all, this is current student chat, you have your own thread!

The higher grade is history, and the lower one is ancient history. Two completely different courses. Look them up on the UCL website for more info.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/history/Prospective_Students/ProspectiveUndergraduates

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending