The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Standard. Wait until August to sort that predicament out.

Well done on the first :gah:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1001
I got 63 in Web Technologies. WTF :lolwut: I LITERALLY began revising for that 3 hours before the exam (I thought it was on a different day in my defence).

And 58 in Database Systems? Seriously? My God, I thought I was going to scrape a pass on that one :eek2: Combine that with the 67 I got in Programming and it would appear that I don't totally suck at IT!

So far I kick ass. Can't believe I've done better than last year after doing less work.

I'm walking on sunshine, woooah
and don't it feel good!!

littleshambles
Hmm, I got a first overall but basically the only reason for that is the 78 in Logic 1 which is probably the easiest module at UCL which almost everyone else in the course got between 80 and 100 for. Everything else was between 67 and 69, with a 73 in Reps of Russia.

I SHOULD be chuffed but I'm not because I didn't really study that hard (there is NO WAY IN HELL I deserve a 67 for ESPS1001) and so I could have got a mid-first instead of scraped one. Meh.

Easiest module in UCL you say? Think I know what one of my optional modules is going to be in my final year :mmm:

That and beginners Italian. After doing French at GCSE, as well as Spanish and Latin at A Level, I'm not really anticipating much of a challenge :holmes:
paddy
I got 63 in Web Technologies. WTF :lolwut: I LITERALLY began revising for that 3 hours before the exam (I thought it was on a different day in my defence).

And 58 in Database Systems? Seriously? My God, I thought I was going to scrape a pass on that one :eek2: Combine that with the 67 I got in Programming and it would appear that I don't totally suck at IT!

So far I kick ass. Can't believe I've done better than last year after doing less work.

I'm walking on sunshine, woooah
and don't it feel good!!

Easiest module in UCL you say? Think I know what one of my optional modules is going to be in my final year :mmm:

That and beginners Italian. After doing French at GCSE, as well as Spanish and Latin at A Level, I'm not really anticipating much of a challenge :holmes:

Lol if you're an IT person you'll probably find it even easier if you've done any comp sci. I'm not kidding about the easiness either.

Also beginners Italian with that history is practically cheating :colonhash:

I am failing so far to see any distinction between the holidays and how I led my terms back in the day. Yesterday did about 3 hours of German and today did a couple more half-arsed hours before watching a Russian film (which I highly recommend: Zhara). I need Leicester friends. And a job.
Reply 1003
littleshambles
Lol if you're an IT person you'll probably find it even easier if you've done any comp sci. I'm not kidding about the easiness either.

Also beginners Italian with that history is practically cheating :colonhash:

I am failing so far to see any distinction between the holidays and how I led my terms back in the day. Yesterday did about 3 hours of German and today did a couple more half-arsed hours before watching a Russian film (which I highly recommend: Zhara). I need Leicester friends. And a job.

Logic 1 here I come :coma:

Quite looking forward to the Italian. I'm thinking about making the intro module even more of a joke by self-teaching myself some Italian grammar during my industrial placement.

So glad that employers couldn't give a rat's arse about my specific modules :h:

Speaking of my industrial placement, I start work on Monday :woo:
Reply 1004
paddy

That's what I thought, until I started it :frown: It's not massively difficult compared too lots of languages, but French and Latin are next to no help, and Spanish is as much of a burden as a help because you end up speaking it accidentally. I thought it would be a breeze alongside French, but the grammar is so much more fiddly! In bocco al lupo though :wink:

STILL waiting on Italian results...grr!
Reply 1005
Lizia
That's what I thought, until I started it :frown: It's not massively difficult compared too lots of languages, but French and Latin are next to no help, and Spanish is as much of a burden as a help because you end up speaking it accidentally. I thought it would be a breeze alongside French, but the grammar is so much more fiddly! In bocco al lupo though :wink:

Good thing my Spanish is horrifically rusty then ^_^

What level do they expect you to reach after the year? Also did you do the 1.0 cu or 0.5 cu option? I'm thinking of the 1.0 course :holmes:

I'll pick up a book on Italian grammar and have a crack at it before I go for it I reckon.
Lizia

Same for Spanish :sigh:
Reply 1007
paddy
Good thing my Spanish is horrifically rusty then ^_^

What level do they expect you to reach after the year? Also did you do the 1.0 cu or 0.5 cu option? I'm thinking of the 1.0 course :holmes:

I'll pick up a book on Italian grammar and have a crack at it before I go for it I reckon.

Ohhh, you're doing it in the language centre? I really don't know anything about their courses, maybe they are the doss you're looking for :p: In the Italian department, they expect you to be at A-level standard by the end of the year, and in second year you're theoretically good enough that they stop having advanced and ab initio taught separately (ahahahaha, not true). I think basically all we haven't learned are the subjunctive and the pluperfect. It is pretty intense, not so much on the material itself being hard, but trying to cram it all into two hours a week.

For the Italian department course, we use Conoscere l'italiano, basi grammaticali della lingua italiana by Simona Simula. It's a pretty good book for practising, although written entirely in Italian (which is bizarre, because it really is a beginner's book). The Collin's grammar book is good for learning points, then the Simula book for exercises.

rockrunride
Same for Spanish :sigh:

It's crazy. And considering even the French department got their act together a fortnight ago, the Italian and Spanish departments now look REALLY bad haha...
paddy
Logic 1 here I come :coma:

Quite looking forward to the Italian. I'm thinking about making the intro module even more of a joke by self-teaching myself some Italian grammar during my industrial placement.

So glad that employers couldn't give a rat's arse about my specific modules :h:

Speaking of my industrial placement, I start work on Monday :woo:

Haha I'm thinking of doing German in the language centre. I'm just starting doing German seriously by myself this summer and I was hoping to be good enough by the end to justify doing "Intermediate German" rather than beginners (lol) but it is SO HARD. Wayyyyyy harder for me than Russian (or maybe I've just forgotten how hard Russian was...). Plus I've only been doing it for three days. I'm planning on doing some Russian grammar before next year as well but I can't be arsed yet so I'm just watching Russian films.

What's your placement? Oooh and if you are doing Logic 1 do you want to buy the appropriate book from me cheap? :teeth:
Lizia
Ohhh, you're doing it in the language centre? I really don't know anything about their courses, maybe they are the doss you're looking for :p: In the Italian department, they expect you to be at A-level standard by the end of the year, and in second year you're theoretically good enough that they stop having advanced and ab initio taught separately (ahahahaha, not true). I think basically all we haven't learned are the subjunctive and the pluperfect. It is pretty intense, not so much on the material itself being hard, but trying to cram it all into two hours a week.

For the Italian department course, we use Conoscere l'italiano, basi grammaticali della lingua italiana by Simona Simula. It's a pretty good book for practising, although written entirely in Italian (which is bizarre, because it really is a beginner's book). The Collin's grammar book is good for learning points, then the Simula book for exercises.

It's crazy. And considering even the French department got their act together a fortnight ago, the Italian and Spanish departments now look REALLY bad haha...

Yo, you do TWO HOURS A WEEK of grammar wtf?! That's nothing! We had four hours a week of grammar for ab initio Russian, plus reading and writing and oral... Not that I turned up to half of it by the end...

And you still end up at the same standard as us by the end of it. How depressing.
Reply 1010
littleshambles
Yo, you do TWO HOURS A WEEK of grammar wtf?! That's nothing! We had four hours a week of grammar for ab initio Russian, plus reading and writing and oral... Not that I turned up to half of it by the end...

And you still end up at the same standard as us by the end of it. How depressing.

I'd much rather have had four hours a week, if we're prioritising actually becoming good at the language over "yay, less contact hours!" :s-smilie: Two hours a week is nowhere near long enough to teach a ,language without driving your students insane! We got two hours of grammar in French, and we were meant to be 'advanced' at that.
Lizia
I'd much rather have had four hours a week, if we're prioritising actually becoming good at the language over "yay, less contact hours!" :s-smilie: Two hours a week is nowhere near long enough to teach a ,language without driving your students insane! We got two hours of grammar in French, and we were meant to be 'advanced' at that.

Yeah I'm saying I would have thought you should have more especially if other departments are giving it. I would have gladly had a couple more hours actually. As long as they were in the afternoon.
Reply 1012
littleshambles
Haha I'm thinking of doing German in the language centre. I'm just starting doing German seriously by myself this summer and I was hoping to be good enough by the end to justify doing "Intermediate German" rather than beginners (lol) but it is SO HARD. Wayyyyyy harder for me than Russian (or maybe I've just forgotten how hard Russian was...). Plus I've only been doing it for three days. I'm planning on doing some Russian grammar before next year as well but I can't be arsed yet so I'm just watching Russian films.

What's your placement? Oooh and if you are doing Logic 1 do you want to buy the appropriate book from me cheap? :teeth:

It's at IBM, I'm working in the consulting division. It's a 12 month placement, so I have a long time yet before I have to choose my modules :p:
Lizia

We got one measly hour this year. Bad times.
I miss UCL =(
init :frown:
I most certainly do not, as I've just been told I have to sit an entirely new exam next Monday for my referral. I'm well and truly ******.
I miss college. But I've got a tonne of things to sort out there, so I'll be back next week.
The Mute
I most certainly do not, as I've just been told I have to sit an entirely new exam next Monday for my referral. I'm well and truly ******.

Damnnnnnnn. :frown: Good luck man :hugs:
littleshambles
Damnnnnnnn. :frown: Good luck man :hugs:

I'm going to need it. Not entirely sure what makes them think I can pass an exam with 12 days notice, when I couldn't pass one with 10 weeks notice... :confused:

Quick Reply