Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Avignon is just fine. May be slightly quiet and I've yet to break the club scene, but it'll be okay.

French bars are fine bar the lairy "mecs". I have no idea why I'm going tomorrow. I hate Guinness. And Murphy's. I'll just have another beer probably.

ReputationRep:
    why am i not in france, drunk?
    oh well, i'm hendon, and with a very beautiful boy. <3 cringe

ReputationRep:
    Any current students got their bursary letters through yet? I'm about to start third year and am still waiting for mine. For some reason my loan has been lowered this year despite my parents earnings remaining the same, so I'm hoping that my bursary isn't reduced as well!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else see the rankings that put us at 4th best in the world over Oxford?

Fun times :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Amy-Eliza~)
    Any current students got their bursary letters through yet? I'm about to start third year and am still waiting for mine. For some reason my loan has been lowered this year despite my parents earnings remaining the same, so I'm hoping that my bursary isn't reduced as well!
    That happened to me too, grrr. No, I haven't received the bursary letter either. Glad I'm not the only one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I miss France. I spent four months there during my gap year, and I'm going back to my city (Bordeaux, you should have picked it, there's nowhere better in France :p:) for a visit next week. It'll be strange going back, all my friends were ERASMUS so not there anymore....

I love how some things never change w regards to the Irish bar. In Bordeaux, we spent all our time drinking in British/Irish bars. Considering how small Bordeaux is, there were a surprising number of them. In our defence, French bars are scary scary places :lol:
    I like French bars, it's those tabacs that I find frightening. I wish I was going on my year abroad. Granted, I've just come back from mine, but I want to go back! I miss France. I deny this vehemently to my French friends (it's a pride thing) but I miss it so, so much (already!).

Out of interest: have you had your class timetable from the French department yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_world)
    I like French bars, it's those tabacs that I find frightening. I wish I was going on my year abroad. Granted, I've just come back from mine, but I want to go back! I miss France. I deny this vehemently to my French friends (it's a pride thing) but I miss it so, so much (already!).

Out of interest: have you had your class timetable from the French department yet?
    I'm not in the French department anymore, so can't answer for myself. But I haven't heard anything about it from my friends, so I think they've not released them yet.

The tabacs scare you? How can a corner shop be scary? The chance to go back to Bordeaux for six months is the one thing that makes me sorry I've dropped French As a whole, I'm not a fan of the French lifestyle, but Bordeaux is such a lovely city!

ReputationRep:
    No. Me neither. But I love France.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant holiday.

Passport, train tickets, house keys, all identification documents stolen. Then phone got stolen. Then my rucksack got raided on the ferry. Then spent two days scurrying around embassies and police stations trying to get everything I needed. Finally get a new passport. Get back to Britain, and find Customs and Border Control waiting. New passport and all of my remaining luggage are 'confiscated'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I'm not in the French department anymore, so can't answer for myself. But I haven't heard anything about it from my friends, so I think they've not released them yet.

The tabacs scare you? How can a corner shop be scary? The chance to go back to Bordeaux for six months is the one thing that makes me sorry I've dropped French As a whole, I'm not a fan of the French lifestyle, but Bordeaux is such a lovely city!
    Ah, thought you were still French and Italian...

I suppose it's not the tabacs themselves that scare me but rather the weird old men who patronise them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    No. Me neither. But I love France.
    Actually can I get rid of the whole of France? I hate this country.
    :facepalm2:

Granted, I was very upset at the time of saying the latter. I picked it up from this thread (only accessible to the subs amongst you).

ReputationRep:
    i love jonny.

ReputationRep:
    You can imagine what I wrote. It was slightly racist so I won't place it amongst more stringently-moderated posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noémie)
    x
    (Original post by miss_world)
    x
    Are you guys meant to be at this compulsory meeting for SELCS thingy? Any idea on what changes are actually happening? I presume the meeting will tell us, but I have a horrible sense of foreboding so any reassurance that the restructuring isn't as ****** as I suspect would be nice! I was under the impression that basically nothing was happening this year, but it seems like things are happening.

Also, SELCS is a crap name for a department. SSEES is much sexier, SELCS just sounds nasty.

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be so rubbish, cheers prof wudz :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Bureaucracy, a word invented and put in practice to perfection by the French. England should stay well away.

ReputationRep:
    I am in SSEES

ReputationRep:
    Bureaucracy, a word invented and put in practice to perfection by the French. England should stay well away.
    Hell yes. When I was staying in France, I spent a whole day at the mairie trying to obtain a permit that it turns out I didn't even need. Or rather, than I apparently did in theory need because I was an immigrant, but didn't need in practise because I wasn't one of those scary African ones. Got to love the French and their inherent racism :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I spent most of first year learning that the French almost never apply their principles, which is funny.

ReputationRep:
    Oy oy oy, I'm having a 'Where on earth did the first 2 years go?! I'm graduating this year! IT'S TOO SOON!' anxiety attack.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.