Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Moving to Spain on Monday :awesome: :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Moving to Spain on Monday :awesome: :erm:
    Major jealousy

ReputationRep:
    Arrived yesterday morning at half 7 after 12 hours, 12 bloody hours on a bus from Avignon. Had my first taste of Spain on board; three Spaniards behind me wouldn't shut the **** up at 2am plus in the morning. One of them had a particularly annoying laugh. Massively underestimated the time from Barcelona to Valencia, it took about four and a half hours (it took just over that to get all the way from Avignon to the border).

Then proceeded to regret not booking a hostel straight away in three hours of carrying about what felt like fifty stone of bags looking for an internet café. Afternoon was better though.

Need to be more productive and look for a flat tbh.

ReputationRep:
    :tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble:

ReputationRep:
    I hate my placement. It really sucks. I am counting down the days til my contract ends in July.

Can't wait to go back to uni :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I just updated my English CV instead of doing something productive :facepalm: :facepalm2: :doh:

Though it does now have Erasmus proudly listed under Education :proud:

ReputationRep:
    Seven whole months until ERASMUS. I want to go now! I can't wait to add my new uni to my CV, even if it isn't a particularly useful language so probably won't be that impressive. I'm going to be one of those horrendous people who buys a uni hoodie and wears it everywhere

ReputationRep:
    Seven whole months until I come back to London for good D:

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what's the deal with housing in the second year? I have a group of people (well kind of) but what sort of time can you start finding housing for the second year?

I found one place online but its for rent starting in April so obviously isn't much good. I was told that London was a bit different in the sense you can't get accommodation until much closer to the time.

Any suggestions on agencies to find housing or even a good (cheapish) area to live in?

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    Guys, what's the deal with housing in the second year? I have a group of people (well kind of) but what sort of time can you start finding housing for the second year?

I found one place online but its for rent starting in April so obviously isn't much good. I was told that London was a bit different in the sense you can't get accommodation until much closer to the time.

Any suggestions on agencies to find housing or even a good (cheapish) area to live in?

Thanks a lot
    Oh yeah you're much too early!! Every place I've been in was found within 2 weeks of moving in.

Best area to go depends on how far out you want to live. I know people who go way out and pay waaaaay less in rent, but I wouldn't recommend that (committing will suck your soul). Camden is the UCL students' destination of choice due to walking distance (when living there I paid £105 a week followed by £130 after one of my flatmates left). It was a dump though (most places in Camden are)!

Don't worry too much about it, just organise someone to be in London a month before everyone wants to move in to start looking, and be prepared to get a place earlier or later than you planned :yy:

ReputationRep:
    And prepare for all the estaste agents to be ratty and say "you should have done this earlier". What, so you could have had more of my money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    And prepare for all the estaste agents to be ratty and say "you should have done this earlier". What, so you could have had more of my money?
    Oh yeah this.

Make no mistake, estate agents working with student properties are all scum. Trust no-one, and get any agreement in writing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Oh yeah this.

Make no mistake, estate agents working with student properties are all scum. Trust no-one, and get any agreement in writing.
    Haha, alright I will bear that in mind guys. I might have a slight advantage in that area as my step mum works for an estate agents specializing in legal, contracts and finance so anything to be signed will go through her first .

Is there any kind of system of finding 3rd years who are leaving and agreeing something with them/their landlord to take over when they leave?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    Haha, alright I will bear that in mind guys. I might have a slight advantage in that area as my step mum works for an estate agents specializing in legal, contracts and finance so anything to be signed will go through her first .

Is there any kind of system of finding 3rd years who are leaving and agreeing something with them/their landlord to take over when they leave?
    Sadly no. Your best chance is keeping an eye on student noticeboards (don't ask me if there are any :erm:) and listening into the grapevine. Try and make friends with as many 2nd and 3rd years as possible!

ReputationRep:
    Most people I know started looking for flats in April/May time. That's when the bulk of flats seem to appear online. We signed a holding contract on the 14th May, and moved in early June. Most people weren't that far behind us. Everyone I know had housing sorted by the end of May, and I don't know anyone who moved in after mid-July. Personally, I prefer moving in at the start of the summer, because it's easier to budget.

My friends are fairly spread out. The furthest out is Holloway, but I know people who live on Drummond Street and the Regent's Park estates. It usually all works out about even cost wise, since the further out houses are cheaper, but you have to pay travel costs. I would say all of my friends pay around £130ish, but the houses further out have bigger rooms so if you value space you get 'more' for your money.

ReputationRep:
    so ucl draws up a new rule about feedback times and then promptly fails to live up to it

wot r we payin 4

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, well by the sounds of it this will be far more complicated by the fact I am working from June-August outside of London and then I'm interning in Beijing in September.

Thanks for the advice though guys I'll have a look later

ReputationRep:
    I've never had anything sorted by the end of September :mmm: In fairness if you knew my friends and I then you'd understand.

I pay around £143 a week now. It's expensive, but I was sick as **** of living in a **** hole (aka Camden). I now live around the corner from Tower Bridge and the Tower of London (the former being the bus stop I use to get to work), not to mention opposite a Waitrose (55 seconds away according to Google maps), dry cleaners and several nice pubs. Oh and also I am a short walk away from Tower Hill tube, Tower Gateway DLR and several bus routes.

So very much better than spending £105 a week to live in squalor :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    lol i spend £146 a week living in camden

:nn::nn::nn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    lol i spend £146 a week living in camden

:nn::nn::nn:
    Ouchies :mute:

I hated living in Camden. The worst for me was that everyone who found out I lived in Camden would tell me I was lucky and how great Camden was. When you live in a **** hole, surrounded by shady characters and 16 year old scene kids who commute in from the home counties, that can get rather irritating.

I must admit I did kind of like being back in Camden this summer when I was sleeping on a friend's couch for a month, but that was more to do with being near my friends. In my experience Camden is nice only in small doses :yep:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.