The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wizz_kid
So 1st year exams starting for tuesday.....does any1 know what the mobile phone policy is like @UCL plz? Obv if i have 1, i'll turn it off but i mean like do you have to hand it in to some1 n collect it after the exam?

Usually you have to put it in a plastic envelope which you then put under your desk.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Meg_Lili
Usually you have to put it in a plastic envelope which you then put under your desk.

Thanks for dat!
Reply 1382
If you had been barred from an exam for whatever reason (not having done essays/coursework, no attendance etc.) when would you find out? Would you still be given the exam on your timetable with a seat number and everything?
Reply 1383
You're told in advance. If this is an Italian department question and you're worried because you haven't attended 70% of your lectures, don't be :smile: I don't think I've heard of anyone being barred from an exam, whatever they did wrong.
Reply 1384
Yeah, if people were barred from exams for not attending enough lectures, they'd be like 50 people taking exams. :lol: But seriously, if I get back in next year, I'm gonna try and not miss any more lectures. :sigh:

Gotta love the water dispensers at the libary. :biggrin:
Too much work, too much crasting. I'm an Erasmus student ffs, there should only be the latter.
Reply 1386
Anyone here work at Bloomsbury Fitness? Looking to get a job there over summer possibly.
Reply 1387
Apparently UCL's been sealed off - no one in or out - due to a bomb scare?
It's fine now.
Reply 1389
It's depressing how empty the science library is....
Lol, depressing, but good because you can get work done no?

Which is what I should be doing :facepalm2:

littleshambles
x

Lizia
x

Suppose you two have done, how did everything go? LS if you say they went badly I'll be automatically assuming you're on for a 75 average at least :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
LOL I've got one left still. I would say on balance they went better than they should have done but i'm looking at a middly 2.1 at best i'd guess.

That essay I was going on about at the top of the page got a 73 though.... boom. :jiggy:
Sometimes it just works like that. I just handed in a joint essay which tbh was *******s, was 4500 words long yet cited a grand total of three works apart from the original book. Still hoping I can get brownie points for effort since I'm Erasmus.

Really starting to think about next year's options though, the "new improved" SELCS said ages ago that they would be in by the end of May yet there's four days of May left and nothing's come up. More or less set on Politics/Selected Sartre plays for French, but have no real idea for Spanish, did Galdós and general naturalist lit and came off with a 2.1 on that last year but there's nothing Spanish Spanish lit-wise apart from Cervantes and can't see myself doing that, book thicknesses intimidate me. May go with 1990s film but this time will really need to pull the finger out, my eyes hurt from constant film analysis last year and I still got 58, I mean come on, round me up ffs! As a matter of fact the general amount of 58/59s I got last year was nearly enough to merit suicide.

You're doing Russian plus Max Weber, right? Are you going to be enjoying minus 20 degrees this winter, then? :holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1393
Two more left to go. They're going fairly well. Have done like no revision, and still can't motivate myself. I think I've gone into YA mode a bit early and decided not to do anything. How's the Spanish exams?
Original post by Lizia
Two more left to go. They're going fairly well. Have done like no revision, and still can't motivate myself. I think I've gone into YA mode a bit early and decided not to do anything. How's the Spanish exams?

Just done one of three so far. Translation was strange as we were allowed a computer (and therefore any resources we wanted), but then again the teacher argued that it wasn't a vocab test as much as a test to see how well we converted semantic and pragmatic information from one language to another. Which I agree with, UCL :hmmm:

Got morphology this time next week which is as equally intimidating as it sounds. I have 10 units for it of which I've revised nearly four, that means one each day until the exam from now on :facepalm2:

As for the third, LA Lit, don't get me started..
Reply 1395
God, I want to do translation there. We had a text with the word "sparrow" in it once, and no one knew it so we were told we wouldn't be marked down for writing "bird". So why not just edit the text slightly to say bird before you give us it? :facepalm:

I'm so glad they changed the grading system for the YA now, or I'd be bricking it over this year's results. I don't know about other languages, but it used to be that you couldn't get a First for the year abroad in Italy unless you got the full 30 marks or 30 "e lode" (which is kind of like "super awesome full marks", I guess). Considering you only need an average of 27 to be considered as doing well in the Scuole Normale (the equivalent of grandes ecoles in France), it was ridiculous!

At least now I have a vague chance of doing OK next year, so this year is less crucial. Although the whole year riding on one oral exam is TERRIFYING.
Original post by Lizia
I'm so glad they changed the grading system for the YA now

What have they changed to, exactly?
Reply 1397
Original post by rockrunride
What have they changed to, exactly?

This

Basically, it's just an extended version of the standard oral exam. 15 minute presentation on a topic of your choice (allegedly meant to be linked to your specific placement, so a course you did, or the region/city you're living in) and then a 15 minute discussion.

I hate oral exams, but it would be much easier to at least get a 2.1 on that exam, that get what UCL consider the equivalent in the Italian exams we sit (26/30)
Original post by Lizia
This

Basically, it's just an extended version of the standard oral exam. 15 minute presentation on a topic of your choice (allegedly meant to be linked to your specific placement, so a course you did, or the region/city you're living in) and then a 15 minute discussion.

I hate oral exams, but it would be much easier to at least get a 2.1 on that exam, that get what UCL consider the equivalent in the Italian exams we sit (26/30)

Looks fantasmic but since our year have been told nothing about it, looks like I'm going to have to strive for the 7/10 mark in my exams here :facepalm2:

I'm so going to get a 2.2, college are ****ing conspiring against me :angry:
Reply 1399
Original post by rockrunride
Lol, depressing, but good because you can get work done no?

You'd think so....but no. :colondollar: The good thing though is that I don't have to wait 10 hours to get a computer. THANK GOD.

Btw is anyone going the Summer Ball?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending