Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Off to lectures after 5 months off - will be tough! :P
    I feel the same, the last time I had a teaching was in late April, so it'll be hard to get used to the routine again... Actually, I had my very first lesson today at 9 am, I almost overslept, but finally managed to get in on time. The funny thing is, though, it's such a difference from high school, because we were given five sheets of grammar rules which made all I learnt at high school a joke (or, to be more precise, it seems we covered only shallow basics there).

(Original post by dirtyoldriver)
    I only have 10 hours timetabled this week Wednesdays and Thursdays off, nothing until 2pm today.

Unfortunately I have about a gazillion other things to do today and I am still sitting here on the internet
    Lucky you... But even though I have so few lessons, I also have to sort out some stuff...

ReputationRep:
    Sucks to be you, freshers in the Science Library waiting in enormous queues for computers; you'll never discover the Ingold Cluster, about two thirds full at the moment

ReputationRep:
    I love the Ingold cluster. Right next to my halls in first year (for those days when the two extra minutes to the main library was just too much...)

ReputationRep:
    "There are actually great French universities, for example École Normale Superieure - and the rest I can't pronounce."
    - a speaker at "This House Would Privatise UCL" tonight
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    "There are actually great French universities, for example École Normale Superieure - and the rest I can't pronounce."
    - a speaker at "This House Would Privatise UCL" tonight
    I thought the chairman Mao guy was hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I thought the chairman Mao guy was hilarious!
    Oh, you were there, too? Yeah, the Mao guy was amazing, when he came to the microphone, I and the guy next to me blew off with the words, "This is so thematical"

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I was drunk when writing that, you may have been able to tell :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Hey. Not to pick at your wounds, but if I'm remembering right, did you fail a module when you were on your YA? What happened? I literally understand nothing in my lectures and so I'm preparing to fail everything come Christmas Sorry to doubt your skills if you didn't actually fail anything, haha.

ReputationRep:
    I went to UCL last week with my college's academic academy, for educational stuff etc, you can imagine.

It was amazing. I loved it so much, I loved the buildings, the busyness, the feel and everything. I even saw the hospital which looks amamznsmandjdjdjebdj.

I so want to apply there for medicine, <3

The Grant Zoology museum is also über cool. I found it really interesting, in a non creepy way (pickled remains of extinct animals yum)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    I went to UCL last week with my college's academic academy, for educational stuff etc, you can imagine.

It was amazing. I loved it so much, I loved the buildings, the busyness, the feel and everything. I even saw the hospital which looks amamznsmandjdjdjebdj.

I so want to apply there for medicine, <3

The Grant Zoology museum is also über cool. I found it really interesting, in a non creepy way (pickled remains of extinct animals yum)
    Glad you enjoyed it

ReputationRep:
    I keep getting lost everywhere aohfsoghsdohgodghodhgoshgoghodag h

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hhanr)
    I still get lost and I'm a second year :p:

ReputationRep:
    I still get lost and I'm a fourth year.

ReputationRep:
    I still get lost and I had directions from the route finder.

Damned SSEES not accepting my ID card and being a small maze to navigate through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hhanr)
    I'm fine with the campus, but I can't tell one end of Russell Square from another :sigh:

Also, are the freshers' events uniformly a bit **** and overpriced every year? I've had far more fun just going to random clubs/bars/socials as opposed to at the specific freshers' nights, and I have legitimately no idea why I even bothered buying tickets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)

Also, are the freshers' events uniformly a bit **** and overpriced every year? I've had far more fun just going to random clubs/bars/socials as opposed to at the specific freshers' nights, and I have legitimately no idea why I even bothered buying tickets
    I concur

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I'm fine with the campus, but I can't tell one end of Russell Square from another :sigh:

Hint on Russell Square: the giant ornate hotel is on the east side.

And yes. There used to be a popular official event (Club Neon) but they then made it **** by putting it in random places in South London and inviting all and sundry to it.

ReputationRep:
    Does any Fresher feel like me?

Basically, I'm here and I love it immensely, I've made friends, people are lovely in general and the whole community is vibrant and I'm never bored. However, I sometimes feel a bit awkward. There are so many clever people and there are so many Britons. I'm not saying that this is bad, but that makes me feel a bit uncertain sometimes. Loads of people speak better Spanish than I do (obviously the same with English) and they are generally better than me in other fronts. Yesterday, we had to write a resume in pairs - unfortunately, I misunderstood the teacher's words, so my partner was very desperate with me and I feel that when I was presenting our work, she was very upset and the teacher wasn't immensely impressed. Besides, the teachers remind us, "This is what you know from A-levels...", etc., whereas I haven't done A-levels at all, so I don't know these things. Another cringeworthy moment from last week's conversation...

a guy: "So, how good is your written English?"
    me: "Do you mean how well I did at IELTS Writing?"
    the guy: "No, I mean how good your essays in English are."
    me: "I've never written an essay in my life. We just don't where I come from."
    the guy: *rolling his eyes* "So... How are you going to cope with the workload?"

Is there anyone doing or having done Spanish? As well as any essayish subject? I would appreciate a little guidance before the Writing Laboratory opens, so I am even prepared for drafts... By the way, how approachable are Spanish tutors and other tutors in general? If I turned up and said to them, "I've never written an essay but I'd like to improve my skills to a sufficient level. What would you recommend me to do?", how would they react?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Sucks to be you, freshers in the Science Library waiting in enormous queues for computers; you'll never discover the Ingold Cluster, about two thirds full at the moment
    Do you mean the Chemistry cluster? We've been trying to make it chem only for years now :p: though I now have my own computer, at a desk!! (one of the only joys of being a master's student..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Couldxbe)
    Do you mean the Chemistry cluster? We've been trying to make it chem only for years now :p: though I now have my own computer, at a desk!! (one of the only joys of being a master's student..)
    High five! Even though I'm never really there anymore haha~

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.