The Student Room Group

Graduate Diploma in Economics

As someone who does not come from a quantitative background, apart from A-Levels, and has the ability to learn the maths bits, how hard would it be to get the Graduate Diploma in Economics and further pursue a MSc from a reputable university to then develop a career in economic consulting?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by dopeana
As someone who does not come from a quantitative background, apart from A-Levels, and has the ability to learn the maths bits, how hard would it be to get the Graduate Diploma in Economics and further pursue a MSc from a reputable university to then develop a career in economic consulting?

Honestly, not that difficult, will take a while tho. Just go to birkbeck to do the GDE either on the one year course or the 2yr part-time one whilst working, then a great grade in that can get you into almost any UK MSc Economics course, a good grade can generally get you into any UK MSc Economics course ranked 4th or worse.

Then after that it's about how well you interview for Econ consulting, which will obviously depend on the sort of firms you target. If it's stuff like RBB, Cornerstone, Compass, Brattle, etc then it'll be tough but there are some easy Econ consulting gigs like the big4, GT, RSM or boutique firms
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. I am willing to put in the work for the next following years to pursue the GDE and MSc and I have looked at what universities provide the GDE and read the reviews too. So far, however, when it comes to Birkbeck the opinions are polarised, some totally recommending it and some others complaining about the quality of teaching, however the latter might come from the fact that Birkbeck has its classes in the evening although I don't see how that would affect the quality of teaching. Hence what I was wondering is about how does it look having a background from Birkbeck for employees and if the teaching really is as bad as some describe it. Also, how hard is it to catch up with the maths side when doing the GDE and later when doing the MSc. I've also looked at Bristol and Warwick's GDEs as they are recommended too and their economics departments are generally well regarded but I am unsure about them because for the duration of the GDE I want to live in London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending