The Student Room Group

Self Policed Alcohol Free Rooms

Can someone please explain what this means exactly?
I'm a non drinker and I don't want to be in a heavily drinking/druggie type accomodation but definitely not in an anti party/social accomodation
Does this mean that there's no drinking at all or that it's reduced or controlled?
If so is it myself that needs to control my own drinking or other flatmates ensuring everyone else follows?
I'm worried that choosing this will mean that I'm less likely to get my accomodation choice or that it will be less social and fun, but on the other hand I would prefer not to have drunk people all around me. Any clarification would be appreciated thank youuuu :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Usually means almost all the occupants are strict teetotallers and don't want any alcohol brought onto the premises.
The self-policed rule is about no alcoholic drinks, non-medicinal booze containing items and some types of other food being allowed in.

Most of the people that I know who opted for that type of accomodation disliked partying and most nightlife.
Preferred to live in quiet conditions always suitable for styudying or a very conservative religious environment with mostly likeminded coreligionists.
I've never lived on campus or in student only accomodation, only visited friends who did.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Usually means almost all the occupants are strict teetotallers and don't want any alcohol brought onto the premises.
The self-policed rule is about no alcoholic drinks, non-medicinal booze containing items and some types of other food being allowed in.

Most of the people that I know who opted for that type of accomodation disliked partying and most nightlife.
Preferred to live in quiet conditions always suitable for styudying or a very conservative religious environment with mostly likeminded coreligionists.
I've never lived on campus or in student only accomodation, only visited friends who did.

Thank you so much! Helped a lot :smile:
Original post by aiylaw25
Can someone please explain what this means exactly?
I'm a non drinker and I don't want to be in a heavily drinking/druggie type accomodation but definitely not in an anti party/social accomodation
Does this mean that there's no drinking at all or that it's reduced or controlled?

The "self-policed" bit means that the landlord isn't going to come and do unannounced inspections searching for alcohol, or do breathalyser checks.

You would need to check the specific rules for the accommodation concerned. It may be that you're simply not allowed to drink alcohol in the accommodation, but possessing it is ok; or it might mean that you can't even have it on the premises.

Quick Reply

Latest