The Student Room Group

Chemistry: Carboxylic acids and derivatives

A four-step synthesis of compound T is shown.

(a) Give the reagent and conditions for Step 1.
State how you could obtain a sample of the alcohol from the reaction mixture formed in Step 1.
-Step one is the hydrolysis of an ester and the ester is propyl-1-methyl ethanoate.
-The mark scheme says that the reagent and conditions for step one are Sodium hydroxide and warm/aqueous but these are not conditions. Obviously, I get the sodium hydroxide but I thought the conditions would be heating under reflux. Or would you still get the mark for saying this?
Warm and aqueous are definitely conditions .
warm/aqueous are still conditions
Original post by skyeforster15
A four-step synthesis of compound T is shown.

(a) Give the reagent and conditions for Step 1.
State how you could obtain a sample of the alcohol from the reaction mixture formed in Step 1.
-Step one is the hydrolysis of an ester and the ester is propyl-1-methyl ethanoate.
-The mark scheme says that the reagent and conditions for step one are Sodium hydroxide and warm/aqueous but these are not conditions. Obviously, I get the sodium hydroxide but I thought the conditions would be heating under reflux. Or would you still get the mark for saying this?

Sounds like you are fine with the idea that this is a base-mediated ester hydrolysis reaction, hence the need for the sodium hydroxide reagent. Warm and aqueous are conditions in this case, but I would imagine that you would still receive credit for the heating under reflux point. The key idea here is kinetics, where the intention is to increase the rate of reaction with a heat source. Remember to associate hydrolysis with aqueous conditions.

Quick Reply

Latest