Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Unlike probably most, I have some exams coming up at the end of November

I live in Central London and my apartment is a no-go zone due to the distractions that are at my disposable (damn you facebook and youtube!!). Therefore what are the best places to revise in CL?

I don't mind if the library is independent (i.e. you have to pay for it) as I am willing to do so

My Requirements (in order of preference);

- Closes late (i.e. 9pm-11pm ish)
    - Looks stunning/antique/Victorian'esque (don't ask ha, it helps me revise better for some reason as its generally more peaceful and makes me motivated )
    - Has wifi access (pref. for free)

Ones I have already checked out include;

- British Library, to dull and boring (+ very noisy)
    - London Library, closes to early

Therefore anyone got any beautiful libraries they know of in London (baring in mind I'm not an undergrad at university yet)?

+reps for the help

P.S. Didn't really know where else to post this thread - so if mods think this thread is better served elsewhere in the forum, please feel free to move

ReputationRep:
    sorry edited title :o:

I have looked into late-opening libraries in the past in London. The public ones around only open until 8pm at the latest and 7pm on a Sunday. I'd be interested to know if anyone knows anywhere that opens late.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you aren't an undergrad yet, you'll probably be able to get some sort of membership to use certain university libraries; I'd look into that if I was you, because it is very rare to find late-opening public libraries.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I used to use Imperial when I was at Sixth form. I'm glad I did, it convinced me not to apply there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Even if you aren't an undergrad yet, you'll probably be able to get some sort of membership to use certain university libraries; I'd look into that if I was you, because it is very rare to find late-opening public libraries.
    do you know how by any chance?

It says on most websites you have to be a student at the university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Yeah I used to use Imperial when I was at Sixth form. I'm glad I did, it convinced me not to apply there.
    how did you manage to get into the Imperial library mate if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    QMUL Library is open till midnight, though I don't know whether you could enter as a non student...ask?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial's library is open 24/7 afaik, if you're able to get in there. You need a student swipe card though, so i'd ask Sarky about how she got permission.

ReputationRep:
    Erm I honestly don't remember (showing my age) but we had to apply for some sort of pass and we had to sign in and out when we used it. Was very quiet in there though and its central.

ReputationRep:
    so do you just go to the central library and ask for a reader pass thing?

also, did you get to use it 24/7, or were you only allowed to use it at certain times? furthermore, did they ask what specific research interest you were interested in?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    some universities allow you to go in freely, some you have to pick up a pass for. You would need to contact the individual one and ask them though before you went otherwise might be a wasted trip :p:

ReputationRep:
    any particular universities in terms of the former part of your statement?

QMUL libraries btw look amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inter-Company)
    so do you just go to the central library and ask for a reader pass thing?

also, did you get to use it 24/7, or were you only allowed to use it at certain times? furthermore, did they ask what specific research interest you were interested in?
    Like I said it was a long time ago, so I really don't remember much. It may be that you have to sign in and after a certain time its swipe card only so you won't be allowed in. I have no idea. Thats what they do in Southampton but I know local residents are allowed to use the library.

Give them a ring and check. Not just them, any university of london library should be the same.

ReputationRep:
    so anyone else ever done this then - go to a UoL library even though your not an undergrad at all?

if so, were you allowed to stay late, or did you have to be out by a particular time etc?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.