The Student Room Group

Please help a foreign student.

This is the situation: I did the first year of A-levels when being an exhange student one year ago, eng. lit., photography and psychology, exam board AQA and grades AAB. I'm now planning to go back and complete my A-levels and go on to further education in the UK. If anyone could answer any of those question I would be very very grateful..

1. What is the difference and significance of different exam boards?

2. Can you do your A2s when you're 20 years old - is there an upper age limit? Are they still free? (I did some mailing with an A-level college in Newcastle and understood that A-levels are free for home students, and EU students luckily count as such..) I mean studying A-level with a class in sixth form or college.

3. Are an AS first year only worth anything in itself? Must the three subject taken first year be continued if one wants to go to uni or for example, where would it leave me with full eng.lit, full psychology, AS photo, AS graphic, AS something else?

4. (Now there's some guessing maybe but) To study eng.lit or psychology at uni, would my outlook to be accepted be good, or would I need other more academic subjects to complement e.g eng lit., even if the eng. lit a-level is good? In that case, what kind of subjects? (I mean will photogparphy be frowned at by unis?)

5. I have some plans and dreams on perhaps going into creative advertising and work with brands and ideas, and maybe also the graphic and craft side of that. I saw that leeds uni has a 3 year course in graphic communication for which you need 3 a-levels, "related subjects", in at least BBB. I was also looking at a course at Leeds college in Creative advertisements, which doesnt mention A-levels very much but National Diploma and National Certificate (in art, design, media or similar). What kind of courses are these? Are they taken instead of A-level as a less academic(?) option or are they something after a-level but before college/uni?

6. I understand that most unis state that 3 a-levels are the standars. I also see that a lot of students do a lot more than that.. What would you say, are 3 still enough or is it that AAB isnt very pretty at all on paper?

7. Now there's guessing again but do you think it is hard to be accepted at a college/six form for the second year of a-levels with my grades? What is the different by the way, I get it that colleges also do the a-levels, no?

THANK YOU so much(!) for reading this far if you did and if you intend to enlighten me about all these things i'm so confused about.

Latest