The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Alevels + accounting and finance course in uni(LSE)?

I’ve kept changing what I want to do for uni and I want to do the course Accounting and Finance in LSE or any uni in London, how likely will I get an offer with my grades:

GCSEs:
Maths : 7
English lit : 5
English Lang(resat it) : 7
Science(combined) : 8-7
Computer science : 6
Art : 4 💀

Alevels (I’ve sat my Alevel exams and waiting the results for two subjects + I’m staying an extra year to finish my other Alevel subject and applying to uni for 2023):
Maths - I’ve sat the Alevel exam(but I’m planning to resit it bc I know I did bad)
Biology - ^ probably the same
Chemistry - I sat the AS exams and haven’t gotten result

If I were to resit and got:
A* in my maths and
A/A* in biology and

for my chemistry(not resits) I get A*/A

How likely would I be able to do Accounting and finance ??
Note that some universities (including LSE frown upon retakes).

This is what the LSE say on the subject, here:

[Quote]Given the competition for places and the nature of assessment at LSE, we prefer students who have achieved high grades in their first attempt (and in one sitting) at relevant examinations.

Do you have any extenuating circumstances which can "justify" the retakes?

King's seem seem to be slightly more relaxed. From this document:

[Quote]Resits are fine, but seen as less competitive if retaking all A levels.

Note that they also say, in the same document:
[Quote]Overall GCSE profile considered in highly competitive areas.

UCL's stance, given here is:

[Quote]Resits are generally considered for most of our programmes. Any programmes that do not consider resits will outline this on their department webpages.

Where resits have been attempted more than once, this may put you at a disadvantage due to the competitive nature of admissions for many of our programmes.

My advice would therefore be to check the resit policy of each university (and courses in some cases) you're considering applying to, and consider the impact of the resits on the competitiveness of your application.

Note that you mentioned "LSE or any uni in London"; there are many more unis in London than the ones I've mentioned above. Not all will have an issue with resits.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by liljoonie
I’ve kept changing what I want to do for uni and I want to do the course Accounting and Finance in LSE or any uni in London, how likely will I get an offer with my grades:

GCSEs:
Maths : 7
English lit : 5
English Lang(resat it) : 7
Science(combined) : 8-7
Computer science : 6
Art : 4 💀

Alevels (I’ve sat my Alevel exams and waiting the results for two subjects + I’m staying an extra year to finish my other Alevel subject and applying to uni for 2023):
Maths - I’ve sat the Alevel exam(but I’m planning to resit it bc I know I did bad)
Biology - ^ probably the same
Chemistry - I sat the AS exams and haven’t gotten result

If I were to resit and got:
A* in my maths and
A/A* in biology and

for my chemistry(not resits) I get A*/A

How likely would I be able to do Accounting and finance ??

LSE would be tough to get into as it is based predominantly on your UCAS Personal Statement.

UCL is also challenging, but a lot of A-Level retakes with A*/A grades at A-Level get offers every year.

KCL is able to accept retakes, but at higher grades than the original offer.

SOAS always has places in clearing, so make it one of your choices.

QMUL, is not always in clearing, but it does accept retakes in A-Level, albeit at higher grades.

RHUL, accepts retakes of A-Levels, but at higher grades than the original standard offer.

City, is always in clearing, but you can get an offer for sure.

Goldsmiths is easy to get into as long as you have A/B A-Levels.

Birbeck is able to accomodate your studying with flexible arrangements.

Quick Reply

Latest