Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive just been thinking about maybe getting a motorbike...the only thing thats holding me back really is the bad name they have for being SO dangerous. i just read on another website what 80% of people riding a bike who get into an accident are seriously hurt or killed. And also from what people have said to me, usually its the cars on the road that run into the bikes, which means you dont really have control over ur own safety. Anyone owned/own a bike and have any real life experience of being in a crash (or having had a bike for years and never having any probs i hope lol ! )

also being quite a petite 5'1 girlie girl makes me think id be at a disadvantage if anything did come speeding into me ...

thanks guys

of course its dangerous. why do you think i want one?!

lets face if you crash in a car it goes- wall, bumper, crumple zones, engine, airbags, seatbelt, you
    on motorbike it goes - wall, face. maybe wall, visor, face but still.

your size wont make much difference if something hits you. but if you make yourself visiable, obey rules of road, wear all the right gear and dont act like a **** and you should be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueygreen)
    i just read on another website what 80% of people riding a bike who get into an accident are seriously hurt or killed. And also from what people have said to me, usually its the cars on the road that run into the bikes, which means you dont really have control over ur own safety.
    So out of all the people who have accidents 80% are seriously injured/killed? what % of bikers have accidents, and also many people have a prang and don;t report it, or have something they don't see as an issue so its not reported. Which website is this off? as it seems really high.

Im a 20 year old girl, just having brought my second bike. and i'm 5ft 2!

If something comes towards you (like the lorry today who when i was on a roundabout came within about 2 foot of me... you just accelerate really quickly away... scares the life out of you, but i wasn't hit. And you don't need to put your foot on the floor to do that.

My fathers had a bike since 15 (now 48) and has had several accidents, none of which serious, and all the drivers fault, as they didn't look. buts hes only ever got bruises, so its

I've had a license for 2 and a bit years now and not been hit, on the other my bf was hit by a woman about 2 weeks after getting his license.

ReputationRep:
    And to make you feel better off http://www.essex.police.uk/bikesafe/stats.htm
    Of all the motorcyclist road deaths in Essex, very few involve female riders. This is despite the fact that statistically, females account for 20% of motorcyclists on the road.

and also i would guess that a lot of the statistics are for people on super sports bikes at silly speeds, and those not wearing protective gear (those people on bikes you see in skirts and flat shoes (talya thank you for showing me that silly woman) guys in t-shirts and shorts, and those without glove. Wearing a jacket, body armour and gloves and a good helmet can make a difference

ReputationRep:
    get real bike, the one with pedals. It is by far the best mode of transport and recreation.

ReputationRep:
    I think your height could be a slight problem. Not riding the bike as such but when you've stopped and have to control the bike between your legs before you put the stand down. It's like trying to ride a pedal bike that's too big for you when you were a kid, you're alright once you're going but once you stop it's one foot on the floor and the other leg at 90degrees on the other side! xD

I used to want a bike too but it depends on your lifestyle aswell I think. It's alright if you need to pick up a few bits and pieces from the supermarket in the week, if you've got a big enough box on the back. But you can't do a big shop, you can't give people lifts and you can't just pick up your keys and go somewhere you need to put on aalllll the leathers and helmet first lol no driving in your PJs!

But ultimately it's your decision, I'm not trying to discourage you, just pointing out some bits from the other side

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 20yo female too, I now own my 3rd bike and have never had any trouble. A couple of close calls but as long as you are switched on then it's a lot easier to swerve on a bike than in a car... brakes are usually better at stopping you too. I know lots of people that ride bikes a fair number have been in an accident at some point or other... usually leg/knee injuries, I also know plenty of people who've been in car accidents, several of whom died.

Don't worry about your height. I am 5'4 but I have short legs (27/28 inch inside leg) and I have no problems riding any bike. It may be a little difficult when you first start riding but there are plenty of bikes out there that are more suited to the smaller rider... failing that you could always get a bike lowered. It certainly wont make a difference once you're moving... although being smaller may give you a slight advantage over someone bigger in that your bike should be more manoeuvrable because it has less weight on it.

ReputationRep:
    My father used to ride bikes and was very nearly killed.

I want one sooo much but I'm scared witless.

ReputationRep:
    When i saw the title I honestly thought this was in H&R for a minute or so and laughed deeply to myself.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm I only had a moped for a year but it was great. If my health problems are sorted I'd get a bike in an instant!

Regarding safety, wear good clothing and don't be afraid to accelerate away from dangerous situations.

My brother's almost been had off by cars a few times, you just need to judge whether to go faster or slower, and be careful if you're filtering through traffic (most people don't mind if you're being sensible, but weave in and out at 50 when traffic is almost stopped and you'll have problems).

Have fun

ReputationRep:
    umm that statistic about the 80% came from one of the direct.gov.uk pages on driving, but yeah i guess it doesnt break it down into the fools that ride around with almost nothing on and go zooming around the place....well thanks guys, from whats been said about the size issue seems like its all systems go !! x x

ReputationRep:
    umm that statistic about the 80% came from one of the direct.gov.uk pages on driving, but yeah i guess it doesnt break it down into the fools that ride around with almost nothing on and go zooming around the place....well thanks guys, from whats been said about the size issue seems like its all systems go !! x x

ReputationRep:
    And if your worried about the height, get a sit up and beg style one (cruiser style) rather than a racing, as there shorter, but i've managed to find 2 sports bikes i can ride

ReputationRep:
    If you do want a sports, Honda CBRs are lovely bikes but quite small.

ReputationRep:
    I saw the title of this at first and my immediate thought was "why isn't this in H&R?" :p:

My sister's dad had a motorbike, crashed it and almost paralyzed himself for life. The idea scares me

ReputationRep:
    I am 5'2" and my bf's Honda CB250 is TOO low for me!! so might be a good choice for you if you come to buy a bike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueygreen)
    don't forget 'seriously injured' for these kind opf stats is any fracture other than fingers or toes OR required overnight admission

crash survivability on a bike depends on a number of factors a tourer or a sports tourer is generally more survivable than a sports bike - big fairing , panniers etc etc

the biggest problem for a smaller person in finding a bike that';s comfortable inside leg wise and being able to pick the damn thing up if you drop it on it's side

ReputationRep:
    I really can't believe people are advocating a bike for a novice in mid November.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to have a bike, but it's so impractical..
    Go for it imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    I really can't believe people are advocating a bike for a novice in mid November.
    We've all toold her about getting a bike, but she hasnt said anything about doing the test, or looking into it yet, just she likes the idea. If she had then as on the thread beat the credit crunch, get a motorbike then iwould have said do it in march.

she just asked
    Anyone owned/own a bike and have any real life experience of being in a crash (or having had a bike for years and never having any probs i hope lol !)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 16, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.