The Student Room Group

when do i pay my credit card??

i got a amex credit card like a month ago and i’m confused when the payment is due. it says “payment due on 12 july”, but that’s because i set up my debit card for 12th july i think. it also says “£25 minimum payment due on 23 july”, does this mean i have till 22 july to pay? or do i need to pay tommorow? a bit confused and don’t have money in my debit rn
Reply 1
The date for payment will be clearly stated on your amex card statement. It is likely to be the 23rd July

What you have arranged with your own bank is another date ie 12th July for payment to be taken from your debit card. If you can't afford this contact your own bank and cancel the payment or you will be charged £12+ for having no money in the account when the payment is attempted.

Ring the amex card services and check in with them. You can make a faster payment to the amex account directly if you are on telephone banking which will be received on the day. The only other scenario is if you had to have a direct debit for the card being issued to you? There is usually a three day delay to allow debit card or ordinary payments to the account to be received.
Original post by stressingrn
i got a amex credit card like a month ago and i’m confused when the payment is due. it says “payment due on 12 july”, but that’s because i set up my debit card for 12th july i think. it also says “£25 minimum payment due on 23 july”, does this mean i have till 22 july to pay? or do i need to pay tommorow? a bit confused and don’t have money in my debit rn

Go by the "minimum payment due by" date -- i.e. 23rd July.

It will probably be ok if Amex receive the payment on 23rd July itself, but I personally wouldn't risk leaving it that late just in case.

Whatever you do, always, always make at least the minimum payment on time. (Obviously you should if at all possible clear the balance in full every month.) It's fine to make more than one payment in a month if you need to -- for example, paying the minimum by the deadline and then paying off more of the balance when the money is available to you.
Original post by stressingrn

Each month the date may vary for when it's due.

I would do a online payment about 4 days or so prior to when it's due to leave your bank account say 2 day's after you paying so that it's in your credit card account before due date and avoid interest.

So if it's due say the 25th July then pay it of about 20th July okay.
I do that with MasterCard when using it as make sure it's of my bank account at least 4 days before it's due.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending