The Student Room Group

A level Edexcel : Maths Mechanics

What percentage of total marks can we expect at the actual A level test on Mechanics?

Is it fixed percentage or is it can vary from year to year?
Original post by Sgcheam
What percentage of total marks can we expect at the actual A level test on Mechanics?

Do you mean the final exam?
Original post by Sgcheam

1/6 - it is a fixed percentage. You will sit 3 A-level maths exams, each worth 1/3. Two of those will be pure maths. One will be split between statistics and mechanics 50/50, therefore 1/6 of your A-level maths comes from mechanics
Reply 3
<a href=
Reply 4
Original post by juicygcse
1/6 - it is a fixed percentage. You will sit 3 A-level maths exams, each worth 1/3. Two of those will be pure maths. One will be split between statistics and mechanics 50/50, therefore 1/6 of your A-level maths comes from mechanics

Thanks.

Also, is there further division on topic? Year? Say I cover Year 12 content area, will it be 50% of total mechanics?

I find Mechanics hard and hence want to study only as much as to cover 70%, say 10 marks. So I would be covering about 93-95 marks of syllabus and try to score max in that, probably get 90% on that. Looking to save some study time for other subjects and I am behind in Maths and have done little mechanics in Year 12.
Original post by Sgcheam
Thanks.

Also, is there further division on topic? Year? Say I cover Year 12 content area, will it be 50% of total mechanics?

I find Mechanics hard and hence want to study only as much as to cover 70%, say 10 marks. So I would be covering about 93-95 marks of syllabus and try to score max in that, probably get 90% on that. Looking to save some study time for other subjects and I am behind in Maths and have done little mechanics in Year 12.

If you review past papers from your examiner you will get a sense for the topics that regularly come up and could choose to focus some of your energy on those.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sgcheam
Thanks.

Why are you struggling with mechanics? Why not do some work over the summer and post on here when you get stuck.

There are some great websites and do ask your teacher for additional help.
Original post by juicygcse

Although the content balance is the same for all examiners in England, the split of content between papers varies between examiners. Your description is spot on for Edexcel. For AQA all 3 papers have some pure maths, paper 2 has the mechanics and paper 3 the statistics

Quick Reply

Latest