The Student Room Group

1st class honours vs 2.i

I study mechanical engineering at Manchester University and I have just finished my first year, and anxiously waiting for my results. I'm worried that I may not have performed excellently in the exams.
From my school life I'm used to achieving the top grades, so the idea of getting a 2.i instead of a first is scary, despite the number of people saying that all you need is a 2.i to do well.

Is this true? How much more advantageous is it to get a 1st class honours in the first year over a 2.i, particularly when applying to summer internships which will take place after y2?
a first nowadays is more like a 2.1 or a high 2.2 back in the day.
wooow really? The value of a first has actually decreased??

Original post by the bear
a first nowadays is more like a 2.1 or a high 2.2 back in the day.
Reply 3
Internships might like a first and funders for PhDs like a first. Aside from that you aren't going to be seriously disadvantaged.
Original post by Anonymous
I study mechanical engineering at Manchester University and I have just finished my first year, and anxiously waiting for my results. I'm worried that I may not have performed excellently in the exams.
From my school life I'm used to achieving the top grades, so the idea of getting a 2.i instead of a first is scary, despite the number of people saying that all you need is a 2.i to do well.

Is this true? How much more advantageous is it to get a 1st class honours in the first year over a 2.i, particularly when applying to summer internships which will take place after y2?

Hi,
I have also just completed my first year, and was worried about the marks I would get.
The best advice I received from a lecturer was that it's nearly impossible to receive a 1st class honours overall in your first year. This is because there is quite a difference in e.g. university assignment/essay writing compared to college level, and it's hard to get into the swing of degree level writing until you actively do it! They said you will only be able to master degree level writing, after doing at least one year :smile:

If you do get a 2:1 in first year, that is amazing! But do remember to be kind to yourself if the mark you receive isn't what you hoped for, first year is there to trial and error what works, and what doesn't. It would be great if we could all become an expert in a subject over the course of a year, but thats just not possible!

So what i'm trying to basically say is that first year is pretty much to practice degree level assessment styles and see what works for you by reflecting on feedback you get throughout your first year, and then apply this to your 2nd and 3rd year of study! I'm not sure if this applies to every single degree, but this is why first year grade boundaries for exams/coursework are a bit more relaxed.

I do believe that employers will take into account your first year exams, but i'm sure they won't be expecting you to get a 1st from that year. Just do the best you can.

I hope this puts you at ease a bit, good luck on your results!

Lauren -Official course rep
Original post by Anonymous
wooow really? The value of a first has actually decreased??

I'm the sense that so many more people get them, yes.
When it comes to grad jobs normally the degree is just a tick box and it's "2:1 or above" - a 1st won't ameliorate a lack of relevant work experience and internships for example. However as above having stronger grades might make it easier to get work experience or internships, particularly at more notable companies or better paid ones...but even if you just do work experience that pays rather low in a regional firm, that's still work experience and will be much better to have that and a 2:1 than a 1st and nothing!

Quick Reply

Latest