Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I get married? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should I get married?
    Yes, go for it!
    19.40%
    Wait a while, then make the decision.
    31.34%
    No!
    49.25%

ReputationRep:
    nahh... sooner or later you'll meet someone who takes your breath away, and you'll regret being tied to your friend... no matter how nice she is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamasamaka)
    I subscribe to the philosophy that the biggest decisions in life should be made spontaneously
    That's not a philosophy, that's a bumper sticker.

ReputationRep:
    If you have morals, like no sex before marriage, then I see. But you gotta make sure you both reall wanna, cos remeber ur only 18.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't love her I don't see why you should.
    What if you met someone and fall in love with her?
    I dont see the point in you marrying her if you dont love her tbh

ReputationRep:
    what are you going to do when you fall in love? but saying that, many people do have this, like the people who get arranged marriage, they become good friends, and eventually fall in love.
    Yes, but wait a while

ReputationRep:
    This is the kinda thing i would joke about with friends, but surely you cannot be serious.
    Personally i would say no because just because you feel like doing something like this now doesnt mean you wont regret it in a couple of years when you may find someone you really love.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously what's the point? Just for a wedding? Can you even afford it or will it just be a scummy cheap one

ReputationRep:
    i'd do it..just for fun...but i wouldn't want to stay married to that person, maybe for a month tops!

although i am marrying one of my best guy friends if neither of us is married by the time we're 35

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamasamaka)
    We're both 18 and I understand that it may seem like a silly, immature decision which we will regret, but I don't think it is.

I subscribe to the philosophy that the biggest decisions in life should be made spontaneously and it hasn't failed me so far.

What do you think?
    I kind of think that the two emboldened bits are quite important - I'm not trying to patronize you but what decisions have you made so far that are as big as getting married?

Why do you want to get married? Are you in love? Or does it just seem like a 'crazy' thing to do for no apparent reason, giving it some sort of appeal?

All seems a bit daft to me but it's your life

ReputationRep:
    if you two feel like this maybe instead of marrying each other why not trying taking a year together to see it if works first! maybe move in together and try a simulated type of marriage thing first! it means if it doesnt work out then oh well! its not the end of the world! and come a year later if you are still together then go for it!

No

What would you do if you meet and fall in love with someone in the nearest future?

ReputationRep:
    For God's sake, no. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if love should really be the issue, sooo many couples get married and most people don't know it but a good number aren't actually in love. If you haven't already done so, you should ask yourself why you want to get married. You could just be together, marriage isn't the only thing to do if you want to be emotionally closer or be in a serious relationship with someone. Unless you don't wana have sex until you get married, It shouldn't make a diference if you do marry her or you don't. Its a promise (signature) on a piece of paper.

ReputationRep:
    Try having a relationship first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRiotRoses)
    Some of the best loves are based on one hell of a friend ship. HOWEVER, i'd only get married if you can honestly see yourself doing very intimate things (i don't mean sex) but personal things, knowing that you'll most likely have to share things with her. If you can see yourself having kids, if you can see yourself happy then yes, why not.
    This is the most relevant response I've seen as yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skingods)
    if you two feel like this maybe instead of marrying each other why not trying taking a year together to see it if works first! maybe move in together and try a simulated type of marriage thing first! it means if it doesnt work out then oh well! its not the end of the world! and come a year later if you are still together then go for it!
    Excellent idea. I'll definitely think more about this suggestion

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a silly..immature decision that you will both regret..

How will marriage benefit you? It costs money.. you are very young.. it will not work I think.. that will cost you more money..

It is stupid..

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it, squiggles.

ReputationRep:
    It probably sounds exciting....and is just one of those dreamy ideas. Let it pass.

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually even gone out yet? Or had sex with her? It's way too early to talk about marriage.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.