Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I get married? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should I get married?
    Yes, go for it!
    19.40%
    Wait a while, then make the decision.
    31.34%
    No!
    49.25%

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend (now ex) and I planned to get married this summer, even planned out the day, the seating arrangement in the church, and were about to approach the local vicar (who I happen to know). We both felt we really wanted to do it, that everything was perfect, and we were mature enough. Within 2 months, she broke up with me.

Lesson of the day, kids - don't make plans this early on. Especially if the two of you aren't even romantically linked.

ReputationRep:
    i would only marry for love personally, but if you both think this will work, and you will be happy together FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES and you won't regret it then go for it.

can you see yourself waking up with her every day, makeing her dinner, looking after her if she is sick etc?

ReputationRep:
    no, its too early

ReputationRep:
    Me and my mate made a pact, if were both not married by 40 we would marry each other

ReputationRep:
    rofl!!!

how the hell did that conversation go???

Lama: hey (girl mate) hows stuff?

(girl mate): so-so you?

*long conversation about random stuff and somehow they slip into talking about marriage, probably through talking about how their parents would react as is typical*

(girl mate): omggg we should soooo marry! (she would have started it since most guys are too shy/paranoid)

Lama: omg! thats awesome! i would so actually marry you!

(girl mate): no sex.

Lama: dammit.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you letting a poll on an internet forum decide for you? If you truly wanted to get married to this girl, surely you wouldn't ask for the approval of total strangers. Do what you think is right.

ReputationRep:
    you want my opion? then NOOOOOOOOOO DONT DO IT YOU HAVE YOUR LIFE INFRONT OF YOU DONT RUIN IT NOW. seriously dont your far to young!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamasamaka)
    Excellent idea. I'll definitely think more about this suggestion

no problems! i dont condone the whole spontaneous marriage thing but if the two of you are only thinking about being together then its maybe not so much a good idea just yet! although you know your friend really well and get along there are still alot of things you dont know about her and that she doesnt know about you! u need time to be together first of all before you can do the whole "you know wot? this is a really good thing we have here! lets set it in stone and get married! wot ya say?" but its hard trying to follow either what your head or your heart says! and most of all talk to her about it! if she has agreed to it then let her know about the idea of moving in first explain to her why you think this is a good idea and show that this is your way of saying you want to try to make this work first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    If you're asking then you don't know the answer yourself, and therefore aren't ready.
    You need to be sure about a decision like this as it will affect your whole life.
    This :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devils_nose)
    I kind of think that the two emboldened bits are quite important - I'm not trying to patronize you but what decisions have you made so far that are as big as getting married?

Why do you want to get married? Are you in love? Or does it just seem like a 'crazy' thing to do for no apparent reason, giving it some sort of appeal?

All seems a bit daft to me but it's your life
    Touche. Very well said. You're right, I haven't made such a massive decision like this before, but I suppose there's always a first time and the voice of experience doesn't always serve as the best advisor, I know that for sure.

I want to do it because it just feels right.

It's not just a 'crazy' thing for no apparent reason, I definitely have reason and I'm not in doubt concerning that. The appeal is absolute, it's the consequences I am perhaps unsure of.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahaha.

This thread really brightened my day. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilina)
    i would only marry for love personally, but if you both think this will work, and you will be happy together FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES and you won't regret it then go for it.

can you see yourself waking up with her every day, makeing her dinner, looking after her if she is sick etc?
    I really can, actually

ReputationRep:
    Touche. Very well said. You're right, I haven't made such a massive decision like this before, but I suppose there's always a first time and the voice of experience doesn't always serve as the best advisor, I know that for sure.

I want to do it because it just feels right.

It's not just a 'crazy' thing for no apparent reason, I definitely have reason and I'm not in doubt concerning that. The appeal is absolute, it's the consequences I am perhaps unsure of.
    ...wait, aren't actions done to achieve certain consequences?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i thought you said you make the biggest decisions spontaneously.
    asking on a forum ain't spontaneous, b.

ReputationRep:
    IMO, no

if u need to ask, then the answer is probably not... but asking random strangers on the internet and ur answer is definitely not

why don't you go out with her for a while, see how it works out?... what's the rush, ur still young! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I really can, actually

i think you've already made up your mind....it seems so anyway.

ReputationRep:
    this is just taking the p!ss out of marriage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erradhadh)
    ...wait, aren't actions done to achieve certain consequences?! :confused:
    Yes, I believe the consequence of getting married would be happiness. But as very clearly pointed out by everybody else, there are other consequences to consider.

(Original post by Mango24)
    this is just taking the p!ss out of marriage
    I was very close to adding this as the fourth poll option, you know :P

ReputationRep:
    It takes a long time to know that you want to spend the rest of your life with someone. Things that happen quickly usually don't go too far.

ReputationRep:
    Don't talk to us about it. Talk to her and she how she feels about it. If you have doubts then wait.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.