The Student Room Group

MSc Marketing

I am applying for January intake 2023 for MSc Marketing. Currently my options are:Kingston, Queen Mary, Exeter, Brunel, Aston and UCA. I would love to get some reviews on these colleges. Do they have a good reputation for this course? Any other colleges you would recommend?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by a_p15
I am applying for January intake 2023 for MSc Marketing. Currently my options are:Kingston, Queen Mary, Exeter, Brunel, Aston and UCA. I would love to get some reviews on these colleges. Do they have a good reputation for this course? Any other colleges you would recommend?

Hi a_p15 😊

Choosing a course is a very personal decision, there are so many factors that will be more or less important depending on the person, and things that make one person love a course that makes another person avoid it.
Having said that, I’ll mention some of the main points (like course content, rankings, employability, and uni life) here, from my perspective as a current Cranfield student.

Probably the most important thing for most people is the course content. Your career goals, your strengths, and your personal interests within marketing. You can read about the modules and their content for the Cranfield Strategic Marketing MSc here:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/masters-courses/strategic-marketing
The course content is informed and reviewed by a Practice Advisory Board, made up of leading figures from the world of marketing, to ensure the course remains relevant to the modern marketing world, includes the most cutting-edge techniques, and creates employable and prepared graduates.
As well as the taught modules, you will also have an individual thesis project that can be company sponsored. This gives you the chance to network, demonstrate your skills in a real-world situation, and find what aspects of that role suit you, to help you make career decisions. You further get to engage with industry during your marketing consultancy project provided by an external business client, and through international marketing case studies.

Many people also place a lot of emphasis on rankings, because some employers also do. This course specifically is ranked 5th in the UK and 15th in the world (QS World University Rankings: Masters In Marketing 2022).
Another way employers can judge the quality of the education is through accreditation. The Strategic Marketing MSc is accredited by the Market Research Society (MRS). This means that while studying for your master's in marketing, you also have the opportunity to work towards achieving the MRS Certificate in Market & Social Research, and with appropriate work experience you will be eligible to join the Market Research Society after graduation.

As well as giving many opportunities to engage with industry and improve your employability during your course, the wider services and opportunities within Cranfield can also make you a more employable graduate.
The careers service offers so many different services, from 1 to 1 sessions to improve your CV, help with interview skills, and even support in salary negotiations, helping your throughout your job-finding process! Check out even more of what they can do for you here:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/career-development-service
On top of that, Cranfield also is hosts regular opportunities to build your CV. For example, the Cranfield Unliever Challenge poses real-world business problems to teams of interdisciplinary students, not only giving you the chance to engage with industry, demonstrate your skills, and network, but also win cash! Read about the 2022 Unliever experience here:
https://blogs.cranfield.ac.uk/leadership-management/unilever-accelerator-challenge-winning-team-b-e-a-t-share-their-experience/?gclid=CjwKCAjwt7SWBhAnEiwAx8ZLamr2MaLbgoRE_IOd9BL6oo49SlIV4kr_O3KfvhO2lMq6JWuXfdPj8xoC1o8QAvD_BwE

You can also enhance your CV through several of our clubs and societies, for example the Women in Leadership and Consulting Societies. Alternatively, you can demonstrate determination, organisation, time management, and many other skills by getting involved in the organisation of other clubs and societies. Or just join one to have some fun and meet new people! We have several sports (e.g. cricket, basketball, rugby, football), cultural (e.g. Turkish, Chinese, and Nigerian societies), special interest (e.g. CranSEDS, astronomical, readers, and tabletop societies). A more complete list can be found here:
https://mycsa.org.uk/clubs-and-societies/clubs-societies-cranfield-campus/
If you don’t want to regularly attend gatherings, many societies also organise events on campus. This year, we had a Holi celebration! It’s a great way to meet people, and even learn about other cultures and try new things.

I’ve only covered a few of the things many people consider ‘the most important’ factor (not that you’d know it by the length of my post), so if you have any more questions please feel free to leave any questions below or on our Cranfield TSR forum 😊

Best of luck with your decision and applications!
Ciara
2nd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Finishing my masters right now, I would say do the same as you did choosing your undergrad but slightly differently. What are the differences between the modules offered? Are you coursework-based or exam-based? For me, I chose both courses that were coursework-based as I can't do an exam to save my life. Do you want to write a dissertation over the summer or an alternative? Some masters courses offer a work-based project instead depending on the course and industry. What is the reputation of the university? National Student Survey results have just come out so this can help steer you with fresh reviews. If you have a budget, will the town/city/campus break your budget? What is the employability rate of this university? Read some reviews of the university too. Some people do just fine attending lectures but having great and industry-leading lecturers was really important to me and having a support system in place. But eventually, this is a really personal choice so I don't think anyone but yourself can recommend the best university to you. Good luck!

Quick Reply