The Student Room Group

Working during masters degree

So my masters degree will be full time (1 year) and I plan to also work during it to stay topped up, I will be commuting since I can not afford to live at the university. My plan is (hopefully) to work weekends somewhere while also trying to get a TA job at the university, just helping out with a first year module or something for experience to get onto a PhD program. For those people who have worked throughout their masters degree, does this sound reasonable? I know masters degrees are more involved than undergraduate but I will need to work, will this be too much? I am just trying to get an insight into how much work a masters really is. By the looks of it I have 6 modules (3 per semester) and a main dissertation.
@Joshwoods01 I worked a little during my Masters degree, and I know people who had a job, kids and managed to do the course. I think it's about being organised and using your time effectively. A masters degree is a lot of work - even if it says you'll only be in 1-2 days a week, the rest of the week is about independent work, such as watching pre-recorded lecture sessions, doing recommended reading or reading research for the next seminar, researching and writing essays.

I think it sounds reasonable to work weekends and helping out on a module doesn't seem too taxing. Working at the university is also a good idea as they will understand when you have deadlines, so should allow you time off when you need it. Be upfront that you might need time off around the deadline period (often in masters courses, deadlines can be quite close together for multiple assignments).

If you feel yourself being dragged too thinly, then you can make a change, but for now I think your plan sounds good :smile:

I hope this helps.

- Rosie
Original post by Joshwoods01
So my masters degree will be full time (1 year) and I plan to also work during it to stay topped up, I will be commuting since I can not afford to live at the university. My plan is (hopefully) to work weekends somewhere while also trying to get a TA job at the university, just helping out with a first year module or something for experience to get onto a PhD program. For those people who have worked throughout their masters degree, does this sound reasonable? I know masters degrees are more involved than undergraduate but I will need to work, will this be too much? I am just trying to get an insight into how much work a masters really is. By the looks of it I have 6 modules (3 per semester) and a main dissertation.

Hi! @Joshwoods01

While studying my masters I worked a part time job and also volunteered, so what I imagine is the workload is pretty similar to what you have explained. I feel like you should have the time, as long as you create a timetable for yourself that you stick to. I found this really helpful to organise my week and hold myself accountable for doing work. I treated my masters like a full time job so made sure to do 35-40 hours a week and then you've got spare time during the week and weekends to fit in a part time job and other activities. If you are a bit unsure of your workload etc, I would speak to your tutor or course leader to discuss more, as they tend to be more helpful with this sort of situation during your masters.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi! @Joshwoods01

While studying my masters I worked a part time job and also volunteered, so what I imagine is the workload is pretty similar to what you have explained. I feel like you should have the time, as long as you create a timetable for yourself that you stick to. I found this really helpful to organise my week and hold myself accountable for doing work. I treated my masters like a full time job so made sure to do 35-40 hours a week and then you've got spare time during the week and weekends to fit in a part time job and other activities. If you are a bit unsure of your workload etc, I would speak to your tutor or course leader to discuss more, as they tend to be more helpful with this sort of situation during your masters.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

thanks so much! that's reassuring

Quick Reply

Latest