Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it me, or do piercings look stupid? You can just about get away with a stud in your ear, but in my opinion, having bits of metal stuck through various parts of your face and body just looks silly, is a total turn-off, and screams out the impression of trying to be cool but failing.

Who's with me?

ReputationRep:
    nope i love mine

ReputationRep:
    i personally like them, not to many. I guess im not the best person to judge as i have some myself...

ReputationRep:
    i luuuurrrrrve them on other people, but not too many, but have none of my own...too scared lol

ReputationRep:
    dont mind really, might have and issue if my bf pierced his face off though...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I prefer them on the ears only but I am not bothered by those who have them on their face (as long as they don't have a face FULL of metal)

ReputationRep:
    I like them, though too many is just overkill. Still each to their own!

ReputationRep:
    I like piercings, but then I have some myself, and my girlfriend has lots too, lol.

ReputationRep:
    ear and navel. no more!

Wow, I really don't belong in this forum at all, do I? :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Some piercings look crap. But some are really beautiful and compliment the person's face well. It depends entirely on what piercing(s) you choose and whether they suit your face. Some people do get it very wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with you, Tom. I don't mind 1 or 2 piercings maybe one on the belly and stuff but after that it looks a bit silly. The more the piercings on the face, the less employable the person. :yep:

Scientifically proven.

ReputationRep:
    i luff my peircing.. soon to be plural

got one in my left ear.. had one in my right ear aswell but it closed up like after a day, grr so i left it for a year or so.. but i want it done again now

also i want the top part of my left ear done aswell

and i want tattoos.. one on my arm, one on my neck and one on the back of my right leg

thing is.. i dont even like pain and i want all this done.

ReputationRep:
    I think they can look very stupid, but they can look very good too. I personally really like the ones I have and I've just had enough of people saying they always look crap. That's just too shallow, in my opinion. And stretched ears are lots of fun

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much love any piercing on the right person, and provided they're not in excess - expect naval and eyebrow piercings.. :puke:. Just not my thing!

I'd love more piercings, but I'm not sure dearest mummy would approve while I'm still at home. If I've still got the same frame of mind by the time I'm at uni, maybe I'll get me one or two then.

(Original post by Mangaartist)
    I think they can look very stupid, but they can look very good too. I personally really like the ones I have and I've just had enough of people saying they always look crap. That's just too shallow, in my opinion. And stretched ears are lots of fun
    What, and sticking bits of metal through yourself to alter your appearance isn't? If someone's being shallow about their appearance like that and makes an effort to change themselves, then of course I'm going to judge them on that level. Conversely, if someone turns up at college or somewhere with messed up hair, **** clothes, etc., and clearly hasn't made any effort whatsoever, then I won't make any judgement on their appearance at all.

ReputationRep:
    mine

hahaha just realised what its called
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    LMAO not so sexy lips LMAO

ReputationRep:
    I think piercings can look really good on the right people.

I don't have any piercings, though I do plan to get a navel piercing sometime soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    What, and sticking bits of metal through yourself to alter your appearance isn't? If someone's being shallow about their appearance like that and makes an effort to change themselves, then of course I'm going to judge them on that level. Conversely, if someone turns up at college or somewhere with messed up hair, **** clothes, etc., and clearly hasn't made any effort whatsoever, then I won't make any judgement on their appearance at all.
    I'm just saying that getting piercings is mostly a question of personal aesthetic preference, just like getting a haircut is. Implying that someone is stupid just because of piercings is like saying that if someone has a certain hairstyle they must be stupid. And that is kinda swallow, isn't it? (Of course I'm not saying that the general "you must be stupid" assumption isn't true for anyone with piercings. There are indeed many pierced people who are actually quite stupid, but there are just as many stupid people without piercings.)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.