Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Anime Society: FULL METAL YURI - The Awesomeness of Cooro Hiwatari Watch

ReputationRep:
    Bill Clinton, good guy.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by aoaaron)
    Which anime series do you think is better than Monster in terms of depth, plot, character development, voice acting etc.?
    Monster was undoubtably one of the better series during 2004 and is likely to be right up there as one of the 'best' series for its demographic. However, I personally felt that Juuni Kokki, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, Escaflowne, Serial Experiments Lain, Blood+, Paranoia Agent, the Ghost in the Shell series (Stand Alone Complex) and the Ghibli films, to name but a few, were 'better' for their respective genres, amongst many others. It's important to realize that whilst Monster held many qualities, I received an equal, if not larger, appreciation (for different reasons) for other series, of which I've certainly seen my fair share (hundreds, verging into the thousands).

I also felt that Monster became rather episodic and longwinded during the midsection and could have served better with less backstory, that didn't seem to amount to much in the end. The characters are likable, to an extent, particularly that of Tenma and Anna/Nina but the rest, including the infamous Johan, just seemed contrived, despite his initial mystique. I place a large emphasis on overall enjoyment when judging a series. Monster delivered that enjoyment, absolutely, but not in the same way as many others did. For that reason alone, I'll never judge a series as 'best', when its so distinct in its own genre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooro)
    Don't poke the invalid :sad:
    but I havnt touched euge:confused:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Matisse)
    Monster was undoubtably one of the better series during 2004 and is likely to be right up there as one of the 'best' series for its demographic. However, I personally felt that Juuni Kokki, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, Escaflowne, Serial Experiments Lain, Blood+, Paranoia Agent, the Ghost in the Shell series (Stand Alone Complex) and the Ghibli films, to name but a few, were 'better' for their respective genres, amongst many others. It's important to realize that whilst Monster held many qualities, I received an equal, if not larger, appreciation (for different reasons) for other series, of which I've certainly seen my fair share (hundreds, verging into the thousands).

I also felt that Monster became rather episodic and longwinded during the midsection and could have served better with less backstory, that didn't seem to amount to much in the end. The characters are likable, to an extent, particularly that of Tenma and Anna/Nina but the rest, including the infamous Johan, just seemed contrived, despite his initial mystique. I place a large emphasis on overall enjoyment when judging a series. Monster delivered that enjoyment, absolutely, but not in the same way as many others did. For that reason alone, I'll never judge a series as 'best', when its so distinct in its own genre.
    What's that coming over the hill? Is it a Monster

ReputationRep:
    :hmmm: vin

:sad:

:rofl: Juno
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Juno)
    What's that coming over the hill? Is it a Monster
    No, it's a terrible band. :p:

I was intending to return after lunch today but work beckoned so I was unable to multitask. It should be quieter tomorrow, though. Anyway, I just popped in and noticed that somebody quoted me. Have a good evening everyone. :hugs: :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    :poke:

ReputationRep:
    vin-kun :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooro)
    vin-kun :jumphug:
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    :hugs:

Ooh, my sub runs out tomorrow. Do I keep Maora or change to another Gentlemen's Alliance character? I haven't had Maora very long, though.

ReputationRep:
    Maom :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Maom? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooro)

Ooh, my sub runs out tomorrow. Do I keep Maora or change to another Gentlemen's Alliance character? I haven't had Maora very long, though.
    kepp her/him..........or change to a new character

ReputationRep:
    *is watching newsnight*its funny how the person keeps spouting bull **** to dodge paxmans question:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    kepp her/him..........or change to a new character
    Helpful :dry:

I think I'll just stick with Maora for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooro)
    Helpful :dry:

I think I'll just stick with Maora for now.
    :yep:I did that on purpose:giggle::red:

ReputationRep:
    i like pie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenius 8)
    no way :hmmm:

(Original post by vin)
    what:confused:
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    :yep:I did that on purpose:giggle::red:
    Yeah, I guessed that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuuki)

:confused:
    oh yeah that was because you said this weeks bleach was awesome:wtf?:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    doent this just look like the meanest espada ever:rofl:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.