ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by 123mccann)
    Cool.
    I swear I don't see how the kid from my school got in. :sigh:
    This is the question which I got wrong:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If transcoding and no more than one lossless to lossy encoding is permitted which of these transcodes are/is generally acceptable? Give only a YES or NO for each specified example.
    a. FLAC->WAV->APE
    b. V0->V1->V2
    c. MP3->AAC->128
    d. 320->256->192
    e. VBR->ABR->CBR
    f. WAV->ALAC->AAC
    g. MP3->APE->FLAC
    h. CDA->WAV->MP3
    i. MP3->WAV->CDA
    j. 320->WAV->FLAC
    k. CDA->V0->V1
    l. APE->FLAC->APE
    m. V0->WAV->CDA
    The only way to detect a transcode is to use something like Adobe Audition. I'd probably get that wrong as well, since I generally ripped directly from the CD to FLAC and occasionally to MP3 V0. I didn't bother with the other encodes.

Invites are only open sporadically, so when they are, I'll send an invite to the e-mail you gave me.

ReputationRep:
    Email I gave you? :wtf?:
    They said you cannot convert lossy to lossy, so therefore, you must use lossless files to encode. Therefore, FLAC, APE etc. So, I don't see how I got it wrong. :sad:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You sent me your hotmail address in a private message. Don't you remember? :laughing:

Hah, how draconian of them to assume you'd know their rules? Converting a 320k MP3 to 192k was perfectly acceptable on What.cd when it was first opened. I'm supposing since they've clearly grown from last year they are now dictating that any re-encode must be sourced from a lossless medium. :laughing:

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty pissed off because, I cannot re-apply for another interview for 48-hours, so I will have to wait until Monday evening. :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    How on earth were you able to store 1TB of FLAC audio, where did you even get the FLAC audio files to begin with?

ReputationRep:
    I'll just leave this here.

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    How on earth were you able to store 1TB of FLAC audio, where did you even get the FLAC audio files to begin with?
    I have an external docking bay that plugs into my laptop via USB, where I can slot internal hard drives of up to four. At the time I had various 250 GB drives, and later one 500 GB one that I used to store everything. Nowadays I have four 1 TB drives. :laughing:

I have a large CD collection (of around 800-1000) of mostly J-POP/ROCK albums that I've purchased (and still do). I ripped them personally off the disk as FLAC via a program called Max.

ReputationRep:
    I have only bought 1CD in my life and that was Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit when I was in year 5. :giggle:
    Oh right, so you transcode the files from a CD into FLAC?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Loo)
    I'll just leave this here.

We needed some Hatsune Miku in this thread. Thank you, sir. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matisse)
    We needed some Hatsune Miku in this thread. Thank you, sir. :yep:
    It is so bloody catchy

I swear

Yukkuri ********* ne!

Oh wow, that was filtered. Hilarious.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I have only bought 1CD in my life and that was Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit when I was in year 5. :giggle:
    Oh right, so you transcode the files from a CD into FLAC?
    You don't really "transcode", as such, since technically you're not losing anything from FLAC. It's a lossless format after all.

Yes, I'm rather sentimental and like to purchase vinyl/CD. As you probably know, obtaining FLAC is difficult unless you have access to somewhere like What.cd or Waffles. I'm an audiophile, Mccann, what can I say? :yep:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Loo)
    It is so bloody catchy

I swear

Yukkuri ********* ne!

Oh wow, that was filtered. Hilarious.
    :laughing:

How are doing, Loo? Glad to see you here.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    One thing I will state, Mccann, about private torrent trackers, is that to maintain a healthy ratio, or more desirably, to upload a continued amount to keep yourself afloat, you will need to upload your own material. Of course many members survive from simply leeching and seeding, but due to the overwhelming amount of seeders on the tracker, that can be difficult at first. Once you gather a considerable amount of albums to seed, life becomes easier. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    :joyman:

:ninja:
    Yes, I want to become a member and download loads of music to bolster my collections and have 1,000s of songs. :nutcase:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    :joyman:

:ninja:
    Yes, I want to become a member and download loads of music to bolster my collections and have 1,000s of songs. :nutcase:
    Just don't get banned in the process. :laughing: I've encountered so many users that become excited with the amount of music available, leech plenty, fail to maintain their ratio and get kicked off within the week. :p:

ReputationRep:
    That Vid was :awesome: Loo.

ReputationRep:
    On all my torrents I have a ratio of 3.0 at least. :proud: It will be fine, I seed more that I download, infact I seed whenever I am on the computer.
    Well, I'm going out, speak to guys later. Cheerio. :ciao:

ReputationRep:
    Have fun McCann :ciao:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    On all my torrents I have a ratio of 3.0 at least. :proud: It will be fine, I seed more that I download, infact I seed whenever I am on the computer.
    Well, I'm going out, speak to guys later. Cheerio. :ciao:
    Public trackers are very different to private. Furthermore, like Oink, What.cd and Waffles are difficult to upload to. For instance, right now there's 768,782 seeders to 16,574 leechers on Waffles. Lastly, if you're seeding an album that's only 150 MB with 35 other people, when a leecher starts to download, you'll be competing with the other 35 for one person. Don't forget that many of the larger users also have seed boxes.

See you Mccann. :wavey:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Oh, and hello Yuuki.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.