Turn on thread page Beta

The Anime Society: FULL METAL YURI - The Awesomeness of Cooro Hiwatari watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I don't know an awful lot about Linux so I can't comment on that, but if my current computer died and I needed a new one I think I'd get a mac. The only thing that puts me off slightly is the lack of decent media players for OSX, so I'd have to have Windows XP installed to.

ReputationRep:
    When I get a job, I intend to buy a mac so I can at least try it out. I'll be in a creative industry so it could come in handy. I'll probably get to try them out on my chosen Uni course anyway. They do look better.

I don't see how Linux can beat a mainstream OS to be honest :| They use up fewer system resources right? I prefer to have Windows right now XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123mccann)
    :giggle: I spend all my life on computers. :o:
    And, I have come to the conclusion that Macintosh computers are for fanboys/girls, who are infatuated with the aesthetic qualities and because they seem 'fashionable'. The only exception the rule is when their role to the consumer is for creative purposes; image/ audio editing etc. So, they are suited to your needs.
    But, they are not suitable for some needs such as gaming and business aspects. (Word Processing, Spreadsheets etc.)

But, Linux beats the both of them. :awesome: I agree Linux is not your ideal OS for the average user, but for those you can utilise it's capabilities... :coma:
    Also, the whole reason why I adore linux so much is that it is FOSS.
    your still a child:p: my sister has a mac laptop, she doesnt use it for anything creative, she just wanted it for its looks :giggle: odd considering she works in IT, but she has said " but I know nothing about computers!" when I asked why she couldnt fix the home pc instead of phoning me about it :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    All files transferred on to external finally ... now to put them in their folders XD 111 files ...

ReputationRep:
    Linux is like Cheesecake. It never lies. :awesome:

Sorry if it came across like I was arguing Matisse.

ReputationRep:
    Ive never used linux, but Ive heard good things about it:hmmmm2:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    :giggle: I spend all my life on computers. :o:
    And, I have come to the conclusion that Macintosh computers are for fanboys/girls, who are infatuated with the aesthetic qualities and because they seem 'fashionable'.
    I stopped right there. Sorry Mccann, drawing upon assumptions to support your arguments doesn't suffice for me. I've been using computers for over 10 years, where I have actively used both Windows and Mac platforms commercially (there was a time when Mac was used exclusively in advertising in the early to mid 90s). Bottom line, a Mac laptop is better made and uses better components than most other laptops on the market of a similar specification. There's no denying that.

I don't know, I just find Windows a seriously flawed operating system. OS X is a lot better, - forgetting all of the fanfare that surrounds Apple in recent years. Take note, I've been using Mac before it became 'cool'. Oh, and I don't consider an OS to be superior to another if it can't be utilized by the average user easily and effectively (Linux).

ReputationRep:
    :whip:

ReputationRep:
    Linux is like Cheesecake. It never lies. :awesome:

Sorry if it came across like I was arguing Matisse.
    All cakes are lies.

(Original post by Matisse)
    I stopped right there. Sorry Mccann, drawing upon assumptions to support your arguments doesn't suffice for me. I've been using computers for over 10 years, where I have actively used both Windows and Mac platforms commercially (there was a time when Mac was used exclusively in advertising in the early to mid 90s). Bottom line, a Mac laptop is better made and uses better components than most other laptops on the market of a similar specification. There's no denying that.

I don't know, I just find Windows a seriously flawed operating system. OS X is a lot better, - forgetting all of the fanfare that surrounds Apple in recent years. Take note, I've been using Mac before it became 'cool'. Oh, and I don't consider an OS to be superior to another if it can't be utilized by the average user easily and effectively (Linux).
    Matisse - 1, McCann - 0.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I don't know an awful lot about Linux so I can't comment on that, but if my current computer died and I needed a new one I think I'd get a mac. The only thing that puts me off slightly is the lack of decent media players for OSX, so I'd have to have Windows XP installed to.
    VLC/Mplayer is more than applicable for most formats. If that fails, Perian has all of the components for Quicktime. WMV3 support is also there.

ReputationRep:
    :laugh: a windows advert just came ion, it just ahad a load of people from around the world saying "Im a pc":confused:

ReputationRep:
    OSX - Very pretty, but useless. Little third-party software developed for it that he would find useful, therefore a waste of time.

Macintosh only installs on Apple Computers, so you are forced to buy their hardware if you want to upgrade compared to Linux which can still run efficiently on my Windows 2000 web server. :proud:
    Linux, even less viruses then MAC considering it is dependant on packages, so the community maintains it - Mac, maintained by a select few who work for Apple.

I will continue this debate if needs be after my lunch. :vroam:

ReputationRep:
    Ack fanboys/girls

And vin

:yucky:

ReputationRep:
    ^:rofl:

:hi:

gonna watch ep 5 of Toradora now :excited:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    OSX - Very pretty, but useless. Little third-party software developed for it that he would find useful, therefore a waste of time.
    Before I proceed, what 'third party' software are you referring to exactly? I'm curious because I consider myself a fairly extensive user given my line of work and haven't confronted any constraints. Also, in what way does this deem it 'a waste of time'?

Macintosh only installs on Apple Computers, so you are forced to buy their hardware if you want to upgrade compared to Linux which can still run efficiently on my Windows 2000 web server. :proud:
    Linux, even less viruses then MAC considering it is dependant on packages, so the community maintains it - Mac, maintained by a select few who work for Apple.

I will continue this debate if needs be after my lunch. :vroam:
    Irrelevant. I'm not talking about how accessible OS X is, I'm referring to the operating system itself, what it offers and delivers as a single product. Comparing Linux and OS X is a little reductant given their entirely different objectives. The large majority of the population will have no use for Linux. By definition, that doesn't mean it's a superior product, far from it. I'm not talking on my own behalf here, I'm talking on behalf of most people and what they'd consider using.

ReputationRep:
    :s:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Matisse)
    VLC/Mplayer is more than applicable for most formats. If that fails, Perian has all of the components for Quicktime. WMV3 support is also there.
    Old versions of VLC don't show subtitles correctly, the latest version does but it also lags terribly so I'm waiting for a better release. Katana messed about with Mplayer on his Macbook, we couldn't get subtitles to show up at all on it (if there's a way, let me know and I'll pass it on to him). And I just dislike Quicktime, I find it takes too long to load things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    :s:
    :kiss:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truered)
    :kiss:
    get away from me :huff:

ReputationRep:
    hiss:teeth:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.