The Student Room Group

IB Maths

I'm looking at entry requirements, and they state something along the lines of: will accept 7 in SL Maths if not taken at HL + Math studies isn't accepted. Is Maths SL AI the same as Maths studies? So If I achieve a 7 in Sl Maths Ai, that's sufficient?
Original post by Felixffa
I'm looking at entry requirements, and they state something along the lines of: will accept 7 in SL Maths if not taken at HL + Math studies isn't accepted. Is Maths SL AI the same as Maths studies? So If I achieve a 7 in Sl Maths Ai, that's sufficient?

I would suggest getting in touch with them as clearly their entry criteria have not been updated on the website! Best to be sure by finding out from the source :smile:

However I would assume SL Maths AI is considered equivalent to the old Maths Studies (they both targeted the same groups of students) so imagine they would expect you to be taking maths AA (SL or HL).
Original post by Felixffa

The general interpretation by IB schools and university admission departments is that SL AI = Math Studies, and that the content is insufficient to prepare a student for undergraduate courses that require some level of Math. The only exceptions that I have personally seen are courses that include Math modules in Year 1, where they will teach you what you need, and so SL AI is accepted OR that the courses that you choose do not need Math. Hence, attaining a 7 in SL AI makes no difference and that course pre-requisite is everything.

If you are currently taking SL AI and need to change to SL AA, approach your IB Co-ordinator to discuss what independent learning you need to do on your own before your school allows you to switch. I had seniors at my school who discovered to their horror that they needed higher math, worked really hard in their 2nd year of IB, and came out with 6 or 7. It was too late for university application in the fall (as applications used predictive grades), so they took a gap year and applied to university the following year, and were admitted to university using their actual IB grades, taking the higher level math.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending