The Student Room Group

Boredom over summer

I'm on my summer break between first and second years at uni and I'm struggling at this point with what to occupy myself with. I spent the first 2 weeks or so doing nothing but apply for jobs and I was successful in zero of them. I did a trial shift at a hotel to do bar work last week, and I'm pretty sure I'll get the job based off of the feedback I got off the manager and supervisors, but it wouldn't start for another 2 weeks if I did get it by which time I'd only be able to work there for about 2 months until I'd need to quit to move back to uni, and I want to make that clear to them but at the same time I think saying that would mean I dont get the job. And if I dont get it, I think I'd struggle to survive doing absolutely nothing for the next 2 months. I have no idea what to do with myself all day. Most of my friends didnt go uni and have full time jobs so its difficult to find time to hang out with them. I'm going on holiday in september but again thats a long time away. So what can I do? I've considered joining the gym but the gyms around me are either way too expensive or not that great, and on top of that I feel like the gym is something you fit around other things not what you focus all your time on. So yeah what can I spend my summer doing
Original post by nezogoltzke
I'm on my summer break between first and second years at uni and I'm struggling at this point with what to occupy myself with. I spent the first 2 weeks or so doing nothing but apply for jobs and I was successful in zero of them. I did a trial shift at a hotel to do bar work last week, and I'm pretty sure I'll get the job based off of the feedback I got off the manager and supervisors, but it wouldn't start for another 2 weeks if I did get it by which time I'd only be able to work there for about 2 months until I'd need to quit to move back to uni, and I want to make that clear to them but at the same time I think saying that would mean I dont get the job. And if I dont get it, I think I'd struggle to survive doing absolutely nothing for the next 2 months. I have no idea what to do with myself all day. Most of my friends didnt go uni and have full time jobs so its difficult to find time to hang out with them. I'm going on holiday in september but again thats a long time away. So what can I do? I've considered joining the gym but the gyms around me are either way too expensive or not that great, and on top of that I feel like the gym is something you fit around other things not what you focus all your time on. So yeah what can I spend my summer doing

Hi! @nezogoltzke

Have you tried going round places with your CV at all instead of applying to stuff online? Also, try going to a job centre, as many companies will go to them and advertise seasonal work that isn't advertised elsewhere.

In terms of the gym, I don't feel its a bad thing to focus on for the time being.
Here's a list of things I tried during summer breaks:
- try a hobby that you've always wanted
- volunteer
- go for a long walk and explore somewhere new (this may take up a lot of your day)
- Have a clear out of your stuff. You could always try a car boot sale
- organise your notes for the upcoming year
- it's a time for to take time for yourself, so do what makes you feel happy
- do any odd jobs that you always put off
- any extra jobs you could do around the house for your parents

I hope this is helpful

Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by nezogoltzke

Hiya

Chloe has given some really helpful advice. I can add a few things I'm trying to do:

1. Check your uni's careers service portal where they post about any open vacancies. Durham has been posting many vacancies lately for remote work exclusively for Durham students- this is less competitive hence more chance of you getting one- check if there's something of that sort in your uni. I've applied for a few of those and hoping to get onto something soon!

2. Other things you could try are meeting up with friends over the weekend (surely they can out some time?), go out for a movie or eat at a new restaurant, play a sport you like, you can search for events happening in your city and go solo and meet new people there, take a walk, go grocery shopping and cook something new, read a book, paint something, learn a new language on Duolingo.

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest