Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    basically, im a mug, spent my overdraft before i got to uni, and have partied like crazy sicne iv been here.... so now have no money...

are there any banks that will give me a second overdraft, and if so, who?

ReputationRep:
    My loan goes in to a different account to the student account I set up for an overdraft. That account got closed as there wasn't any money going in. I now have a small overdraft with my original bank.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as long as you fulfil a certain deposit level, usually consistent with a student loan.

ReputationRep:
    If you do you'll get the bare minimum. They'll take one look at your credit history and send you packing with a pittance probably.

ReputationRep:
    Not a good idea because if you leave your original account open with a large overdrawn balance (unused), the bank can (and likely will) ask you to repay it - they can technically do this at any time.

ReputationRep:
    Plus, some banks wouldn't let you open a second student account if you already have one with a different bank. Which means you'd be looking at getting a "normal" overdraft, which would be small and you'd be charged interest on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    If you do you'll get the bare minimum. They'll take one look at your credit history and send you packing with a pittance probably.
    That's probably not true unless OP's gone past the authorised limit or done other bad stuff.

It will probably be against the terms of most other student accounts though. Or they'll need big deposits for an overdraft, as suggested.

ReputationRep:
    You're not allowed to get a second student overdraft; it will be in the terms and conditions of you opening your first student account. That doesn't stop some people doing it, but I don't think it's a good idea to mess around with this sort of stuff. Stop partying like crazy, get a job to pay some of it off, and start budgeting.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got a 2nd one, he had to try like 10 banks to do it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottcodd)
    You're not allowed to get a second student overdraft; it will be in the terms and conditions of you opening your first student account.
    Not always, I think several just require one major, regular credit. This assumes you have two sets of major, regular credit available of course.

Anyway, these 0% overdrafts are great for beating the system and earning interest, plus as cashflow backup, but you're gonna be absolutely screwed if you keep treating credit like it's your own money to the extent you already have.

It hardly seems helpful to mention that you could possibly get a credit card if you need something for, say, food essentials (NOT cash!). [But this won't be long-term free borrowing. If you're not paying them off in full it's a slippery slope. And if you think more credit = more spending I just wouldn't full stop.]

ReputationRep:
    Hi TheStig1989,

(Original post by TheStig1989)
    basically, im a mug, spent my overdraft before i got to uni, and have partied like crazy sicne iv been here.... so now have no money...

are there any banks that will give me a second overdraft, and if so, who?
    It sounds like although you may have had fun over the past few months, finances have caught up with you. Although it is great that you have realised you need to be proactive and take action. We’d suggest that you have a look at the managing your borrowing section on what about money for advice on managing your debt so far.

Looking for a part time job, as Rottcodd suggested, could be a good idea. Especially at this time of year – you have broken up for Christmas and lots of retail stores are looking for extra staff. You could also see if your university has any job open on campus. Getting a job at the student pub can be a fun way to keep up your social life while making money at the same time.

Let us know how things go!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.