The Student Room Group

Graduation day with no friends from my course?

I have graduation day soon and it's just my major and one or two others. The thing is I have no friends on my course (I did at first, but they weren't nice to me). My course is full of cliquey girls who still care about popularity and social hierarchy type stuff, very cringe. I do have a group of friends but they're on different courses and are coming after the graduation as theirs are on different days. I'm just worried all these cliquey girls will be in their groups taking pictures and things and I'll just look alone.

Luckily my family is coming so there's that. I'm just really nervous about it.
You can stand near your family so you won't feel as intimidated by the cliquey girls. You can take photos with your family - I'm sure they'd like to :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I have graduation day soon and it's just my major and one or two others. The thing is I have no friends on my course (I did at first, but they weren't nice to me). My course is full of cliquey girls who still care about popularity and social hierarchy type stuff, very cringe. I do have a group of friends but they're on different courses and are coming after the graduation as theirs are on different days. I'm just worried all these cliquey girls will be in their groups taking pictures and things and I'll just look alone.

Hiya

You will be able to meet a lot of people on graduation day and will perhaps have plenty of conversation starters, especially now that you've had very different experiences as compared to what you had at uni. If you don't want to talk to the girls, talk to the other people that are around. Having a smile on your face makes you seem more approachable than just standing in the corner! Plus you'll have your family around so take pictures with them and just basically have fun.

There's no point being worried about something that's not even happened so I'll just say- go there, make the most of your accomplishment and have as much fun as you can :smile:

-Himieka
I wouldn't pay those girls any attention. This is your day, be proud of your accomplishments. Have a great day with your family, and celebrate with your friends once you have all graduated. You can take pictures with your family, and if you just focus on the people that love you you'll have a wonderful time.

I hope this helps to put you at ease.

- Rosie
(edited 1 year ago)
Congratulations on your graduation.

I’m sorry to hear about people on your course, but don’t let it spoil the celebration of your hard work and everything you have achieved.

There will be lots of excitement and different things happening during graduation there will be plenty of people to talk to. It’s also great your family are coming so you can get lots of photos together and show them around the campus and where you study.

Enjoy your day and celebrate everything you have achieved even when I am sure it hasn’t always been easy.

Happy Graduation!

Luke - Portsmouth Student Rep
Graduation ceremonies are more for you and your parents/ families.
Ignore any cliques .
Although many graduand/graduates take photos together in course of household groups, it is far more a family celebration that parents like to photograph.
Most graduation ceremonies batch people by subject and the awards are in alphabetical order. So if your name is Andrews but your best friend (on the same course) is Zypolski, you would be seated and awarded far apart.
You’d have the opportunity to mix with any friends or family depending on how the ceremonies are organised.
Original post by domonict
Graduation ceremonies are more for you and your parents/ families.
Ignore any cliques .
Although many graduand/graduates take photos together in course of household groups, it is far more a family celebration that parents like to photograph.
Most graduation ceremonies batch people by subject and the awards are in alphabetical order. So if your name is Andrews but your best friend (on the same course) is Zypolski, you would be seated and awarded far apart.
You’d have the opportunity to mix with any friends or family depending on how the ceremonies are organised.

dumb question but is it alphabetical according to last name or first name?
Original post by Anonymous

Hi,
Congratulations on your graduation! It sounds like you are much better off without those people. This is your day to celebrate your achievements. It is probably better to have pictures alone and with family than people who are not part of your life.

All the best
Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador

Quick Reply