The Student Room Group

classical music (specifically choral)

this is a pretty niche, specific request and honestly i’m not really expecting a reply buuut for anyone who listens to classical music, i have a slight dilemma - my parents have agreed to take me to a bbc proms concert this year, but i can only choose one. so far i have narrowed it down to the following:

- brahms’ german requiem
- verdi’s requiem (i’m a pretty big fan of requiems if you couldn’t tell)
- purcell’s dido and aeneas (i thought an opera would be nice)
- bach’s mass in b minor

sorry to anyone who listens mainly to instrumental music, but out of the options i had before, i narrowed it down to all the choral works as they would probably be the least boring for my parents haha.

i realise this is quite subjective but any advice would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Definitely the Bach - can't go wrong with him
Original post by whyhello
this is a pretty niche, specific request and honestly i’m not really expecting a reply buuut for anyone who listens to classical music, i have a slight dilemma - my parents have agreed to take me to a bbc proms concert this year, but i can only choose one. so far i have narrowed it down to the following:

- brahms’ german requiem
- bach’s mass in b minor

sorry to anyone who listens mainly to instrumental music, but out of the options i had before, i narrowed it down to all the choral works as they would probably be the least boring for my parents haha.

Out of interest what were the instrumental options?

- brahms’ german requiem
- bach’s mass in b minor

Hi! I am going to all of those except Brahms

are you familiar with the pieces? This is going to be my first Proms but I am familiar with some of these. Is it your first?

I have no idea about Brahms' German requiem

Verdi's requiem is loud, epic and intense (particularly the Dies Irae - if you don't know it, look it up on youtube) although it has some gentler bits like the Agnus Dei - overall your parents will not be bored

I'm not massively familiar with Purcell's Dido and Aeneas but I know it's beautiful

I looove bach. Mass in b minor might not be the thing for your parents though (if they're not into classical music, that is) because it's baroque music and this year it's going to be played on baroque instruments I think so they might not be used to that. The melodies tend to be harder to follow but I love the Agnus Dei so much it makes me want to cry. The whole thing is really really beautiful. Would recommend.

So I guess it depends how much you want to see what you'll like and how much you want to cater to your parents. What do you think you'll go for?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
ahhh thank you so much for a reply. it’s exciting that you’re going too! i an familiar with the pieces, which is why i narrowed it down to these - i didn’t want to run the risk of going to see something i had no idea about and sitting there in boredom the whole time lol. also it’s my first Proms too.

yeah, verdi’s is quite epic and loud, so i thought it would be relatively more interesting to watch live.

i also love the bach, it’s so beautiful, although i agree that my parents might get a bit bored haha. ultimately though, i’d rather go to something that i enjoy, and my parents have been really nice about making an effort to enjoy whichever one i take them to, and they’ve said the choice is completely mine and to not to worry about whether they will be bored. so it’s not too huge an issue. i didn’t know there would be baroque instruments though! that sounds really interesting, thanks for telling me.

after re-listening to the brahms, i’ve pretty much ruled it out - it’s a great piece, but i think i enjoy the others more. i’m also not as familiar with the purcell - the only aria i know fairly well is dido’s lament - but yeah, i do know that it’s supposed to be really beautiful. i just thought an opera would be interesting, since i’ve sang and am familiar with a lot of opera, but have very sadly never been to one. still, i suppose there will be future opportunities.

i think i might go with the bach - a classic, and like you said, absolutely beautiful. one of my favourites.

out of interest, are you going to any of the other concerts - if so, which ones?

thanks again for the reply, and i hope you enjoy your first Proms!
Reply 5
Original post by Isabel Steele
Definitely the Bach - can't go wrong with him

yeah i think i’ll go with the Bach, thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Isabel Steele
Out of interest what were the instrumental options?

unfortunately i couldn’t do a lot of the dates that most of them were on, so the ones i was looking at on the end were:

- holst’s planets (i felt obligated to go see such a well-known one haha)
- rite of spring
- mozart momentum (basically just a collection of some of his works, both vocal and instrumental, e.g. piano concertos)
- a concert of sibelius, liszt and strauss, played by oslo philharmonic
- tchaikovsky swan lake, mazzoli violin concerto, and prokofiev romeo & juliet

sorry some of them aren’t particular pieces, some of the concerts are multiple composers lumped together so i couldn’t remember exactly which pieces were being played
Reply 7
Another vote for Bach's Mass in Bm, closely followed by the Verdi Requiem. Both are extremely beautiful works and " classics".
Reply 8
Original post by Debs25
Another vote for Bach's Mass in Bm, closely followed by the Verdi Requiem. Both are extremely beautiful works and " classics".

thanks so much for your opinion, i was also torn between the bach and the verdi, which was a very close second. i think i’ll go with the bach. thanks!
ahhh thank you so much for a reply. it’s exciting that you’re going too! i an familiar with the pieces, which is why i narrowed it down to these - i didn’t want to run the risk of going to see something i had no idea about and sitting there in boredom the whole time lol. also it’s my first Proms too.

yeah, verdi’s is quite epic and loud, so i thought it would be relatively more interesting to watch live.

i also love the bach, it’s so beautiful, although i agree that my parents might get a bit bored haha. ultimately though, i’d rather go to something that i enjoy, and my parents have been really nice about making an effort to enjoy whichever one i take them to, and they’ve said the choice is completely mine and to not to worry about whether they will be bored. so it’s not too huge an issue. i didn’t know there would be baroque instruments though! that sounds really interesting, thanks for telling me.

after re-listening to the brahms, i’ve pretty much ruled it out - it’s a great piece, but i think i enjoy the others more. i’m also not as familiar with the purcell - the only aria i know fairly well is dido’s lament - but yeah, i do know that it’s supposed to be really beautiful. i just thought an opera would be interesting, since i’ve sang and am familiar with a lot of opera, but have very sadly never been to one. still, i suppose there will be future opportunities.

i think i might go with the bach - a classic, and like you said, absolutely beautiful. one of my favourites.

out of interest, are you going to any of the other concerts - if so, which ones?

thanks again for the reply, and i hope you enjoy your first Proms!

yes I will be going to lots as I want to get into the last night

I hope to get tickets for:
- Verdi's requiem
- Purcell's Dido
(edited 1 year ago)
Did anyone go to the verdi last Friday? it was SO GOOD!!

also sadly I cannot go to Dido & Aeneas as it's too late in the evening but I will be watching on BBC iplayer
Reply 11
Original post by mangrot

also sadly I cannot go to Dido & Aeneas as it's too late in the evening but I will be watching on BBC iplayer

i ended up going too, my parents let me choose two concerts in the end haha - you’re right, it was amazing! it struck me while i was watching that this kind of music was made to be performed live, it was absolutely stunning - the dies irae was especially dramatic as always, i loved it!
i’ll be watching the purcell on bbc iplayer too, shame i can’t watch it in person but i’m sure it’ll be great all the same. anyone who’s going to watch it, i hope you enjoy!
Original post by mangrot

i ended up going too, my parents let me choose two concerts in the end haha - you’re right, it was amazing! it struck me while i was watching that this kind of music was made to be performed live, it was absolutely stunning - the dies irae was especially dramatic as always, i loved it!
i’ll be watching the purcell on bbc iplayer too, shame i can’t watch it in person but i’m sure it’ll be great all the same. anyone who’s going to watch it, i hope you enjoy!

I'm soooo jealous!! I love Verdi's Requiem! Sends shivers up my spine at times and the orchestration in the Dies Irae is incredible.

- brahms’ german requiem
- bach’s mass in b minor

dido and aeneas dido and aeneas!!!!
Just remembered about this thread - did you guys end up going to any more?

It's such a shame the last night got cancelled! I wish they could have done a last minute musical tribute to the Queen instead of cancelling it :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by maple's_marbles
Just remembered about this thread - did you guys end up going to any more?

It's such a shame the last night got cancelled! I wish they could have done a last minute musical tribute to the Queen instead of cancelling it :frown:

it’s nice to see people on this thread again! i also went to see bach’s mass in b minor- it was absolutely gorgeous. i suppose you can’t really go wrong with bach. i really wanted to see dido and aeneas but i couldn’t, i just ended up tuning in to listen and it sounded fantastic. you’re right though, it was such a shame about the last night, even though i personally didn’t have tickets to see it. they definitely could have used it as a great opportunity to pay tribute to the queen, with the right music it would have been a very fitting send-off. did you see any others?
it’s nice to see people on this thread again! i also went to see bach’s mass in b minor- it was absolutely gorgeous. i suppose you can’t really go wrong with bach. i really wanted to see dido and aeneas but i couldn’t, i just ended up tuning in to listen and it sounded fantastic. you’re right though, it was such a shame about the last night, even though i personally didn’t have tickets to see it. they definitely could have used it as a great opportunity to pay tribute to the queen, with the right music it would have been a very fitting send-off. did you see any others?

hi again! I planned to go to loads but I ended up only going to Bach's Mass and Holst's the planets as summer got really busy. The bach was so so so good! the best movement for me was the Agnus Dei, which is now probably one of my favourite pieces of music ever and it was really cool to see all the baroque instruments. Were you in the arena?
the planets was really good too, everyone in the arena was almost dancing halfway through jupiter!
Did you go to anymore other than the bach and verdi ones?
Reply 17
hi again! I planned to go to loads but I ended up only going to Bach's Mass and Holst's the planets as summer got really busy. The bach was so so so good! the best movement for me was the Agnus Dei, which is now probably one of my favourite pieces of music ever and it was really cool to see all the baroque instruments. Were you in the arena?
the planets was really good too, everyone in the arena was almost dancing halfway through jupiter!
Did you go to anymore other than the bach and verdi ones?

ahhh i really wanted to go see Holst but couldn’t! i didn’t end up going to any other than the bach and verdi unfortunately, but i suppose there’s always next year :smile: i was in the arena and i agree, the agnus dei was fantastic, and it was great to see the baroque instruments, it was so cool! again, i wish i could’ve been to the holst one, i especially love jupiter - it sounds like it was a lot of fun, from your description, so i hope you enjoyed it!
(edited 1 year ago)
ahhh i really wanted to go see Holst but couldn’t! i didn’t end up going to any other than the bach and verdi unfortunately, but i suppose there’s always next year :smile: i was in the arena and i agree, the agnus dei was fantastic, and it was great to see the baroque instruments, it was so cool! again, i wish i could’ve been to the holst one, i especially love jupiter - it sounds like it was a lot of fun, from your description, so i hope you enjoyed it!

yeah, definitely next year I'm sure you'll find more to go to!

who would you say is your favourite composer?
Reply 19
yeah, definitely next year I'm sure you'll find more to go to!

who would you say is your favourite composer?

oh god, that’s such a hard one! i think my favourite classical composer would have to be bach (a bit basic, i know). but i’m also currently listening to a composer called ola gjeilo, who i suppose you could say is sort of a contemporary classical composer - anyway, he writes a lot of really beautiful choral music, and being an avid choir singer, i’m a huuuge fan of his music.
what about you?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest