Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

the pill and boyfriend! grr Watch

ReputationRep:
    maybe try an alternative like the injection as then you can just set a reminder every three months

ReputationRep:
    Maybe get the implant then. It's more effective than the pill in its own right, and also because it has no user-failure and you don't forget to take it. You can completely forget about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is normal to forget, and he may be being too hard on you.

However, contraception is a BIG DEAL. Be glad that he is being responsible.

If it really bothers you, just tell him you know it is important, and that while you are glad he is being responsible, he is making you stressed by constantly going on about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm such a creature of habit, to the extent where if I'm asleep I'll wake up in time to take my pill. At first though I set an alarm on my phone like others have suggested.

ReputationRep:
    the thought of getting pregnant and having a child which will change your life, is not something you should forget.

ReputationRep:
    You need to get yourself into a routine - then you won't forget. I always take mine before I go to sleep, and won't be able to sleep if I don't take one. I've not missed one since I started 6 months ago. If necessary, take a multivitamin tablet too - it'll increase your chances of remembering to take both if you remember to take one.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered any alternative contraceptive methods? The patch might be a good one to start off with.

ReputationRep:
    Before going to bed works pretty well for me. If you have a bedtime routine you might be able to easily work it in? Say for example when you go to brush your teeth if your pill is near your toothbrush/paste you'll likely remember it!

I can't actually remember the last time I forgot mine! *touchwood* I'm just really paranoid about it I suppose, sometimes I think I've forgotten and get up out of bed to double check but I hadn't forgotten at all...

ReputationRep:
    maybe try the injection, as you dont have to remember to take it?

ReputationRep:
    How does he notice that you haven't taken it? I LIVE with my boyfriend and he has nooo idea whether I've taken it or not. I forget loads. Which is why I'm thinking of another form of contraception before I get pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    I just set an alarm on my phone which goes off the same time everyday, which seems to work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    How does he notice that you haven't taken it? I LIVE with my boyfriend and he has nooo idea whether I've taken it or not. I forget loads. Which is why I'm thinking of another form of contraception before I get pregnant.
    actually ive only forgotten once because the second time i remembered when i was going to bed! lol..

he knows because he would say have you taken your pill and that night when he annoyed me was when he rang me at 8ish and said have u taken your pill and i said not yet, then he went off on one saying i was irresponsible, even though i usually take it before bed!

the only other time i forgot was when i was away for the weekend in leeds and out of my normal habits and routine!

ReputationRep:
    Take the patch instead - exactly the same concept as the pill except you only change the patch once a week.

ReputationRep:
    The main issue here is your boyfriend's reaction. He has absolutely no right to have a go at you. If he is that concerned, then he wouldn't mind wearing a condom or abstaining for a few days.

A good way to remember to take the pill would be to put it in a place you visit at the same time each day (wash basin, alarm clock, fridge). It will eventually become fixed into your daily routine.

If you are still finding it difficult then talk to your doctor about alternative methods of contraception. Don't feel that you have to be on the pill if it's not right for you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.