The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Pharmacy

Hi I will be starting to study pharmacy in September at Bradford Uni (1st year) and want to know any tips/advice you would give to first years?
Original post by Elegant74
Hi I will be starting to study pharmacy in September at Bradford Uni (1st year) and want to know any tips/advice you would give to first years?

Hi there.

@quasa may be able to help. :smile:

Best wishes. :smile:
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

not sure about bradford (you're doing the 5 year course with integrated pre-reg right?) but general advice for 1st year is really just making sure you keep comprehensive notes from lectures, also its not necessary to purchase all the textbooks in the recommended reading list. prime example - everything in Dale & Applebys is in the MEP but MEP is much easier to read; BNF and BNFc are free online resources on phone / computers also you can probably learn more about the pharmacodynamics of drugs (i.e. what drugs do to the body) using stuff like the electronic medicines compendium than a lot of pharmacology books (saying that however, Id recommend pharmacology and pharmacy in health sciences (1st choice book) and clinical pharmacy therapeutics (2nd choice) over rang and dales any day of the week.

Saying that however 1st year of pharmacy schools do vary from uni to uni. there is a chance you will mainly be doing pharmaceutical chemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, anatomy and physiology with some law and ethics content as the bulk of your 1st year before doing pharmacology, therapeutics and advanced biochemical and pharmacokinetic calculations during 2nd and 3rd years. But 1 thing Id recommend is make sure you learn how to reference as it weighs heavily in non-exam assignments

but other (and most important )thing Id say is make sure you have a good work-life balance during 1st year. Make sure you take time to meet people but set yourself limits / dedicate 10 hours a week (minimum) for catching up with coursework/ self-directed learning assignments and note taking as an average during the degree. also make sure you keep writen and electronic copies of notes in the event you lose things or things get stolen or trashed

Hey @Elegant74 :smile:

How are you? That's great to hear.

I thought you might find it useful to speak to some of our current Pharmacy students directly so you can ask them about their tips and advice :smile: You can chat to them here.

You can also read some blogs from our Pharmacy students here :smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Becky
Reply 4
Original post by quasa
not sure about bradford (you're doing the 5 year course with integrated pre-reg right?) but general advice for 1st year is really just making sure you keep comprehensive notes from lectures, also its not necessary to purchase all the textbooks in the recommended reading list. prime example - everything in Dale & Applebys is in the MEP but MEP is much easier to read; BNF and BNFc are free online resources on phone / computers also you can probably learn more about the pharmacodynamics of drugs (i.e. what drugs do to the body) using stuff like the electronic medicines compendium than a lot of pharmacology books (saying that however, Id recommend pharmacology and pharmacy in health sciences (1st choice book) and clinical pharmacy therapeutics (2nd choice) over rang and dales any day of the week.

Saying that however 1st year of pharmacy schools do vary from uni to uni. there is a chance you will mainly be doing pharmaceutical chemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, anatomy and physiology with some law and ethics content as the bulk of your 1st year before doing pharmacology, therapeutics and advanced biochemical and pharmacokinetic calculations during 2nd and 3rd years. But 1 thing Id recommend is make sure you learn how to reference as it weighs heavily in non-exam assignments

but other (and most important )thing Id say is make sure you have a good work-life balance during 1st year. Make sure you take time to meet people but set yourself limits / dedicate 10 hours a week (minimum) for catching up with coursework/ self-directed learning assignments and note taking as an average during the degree. also make sure you keep writen and electronic copies of notes in the event you lose things or things get stolen or trashed

Thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest