The Student Room Group

Earth science degree

I’m looking at university courses and Im really drawn to earth sciences, environmental sciences and ecology but I was wondering about how easy it is to find employment after finishing the course
I mean fundamentally those are three different degrees and certainly at least the last one is very different to the first two (which are still different to each other). So what is applicable to one won't be applicable to all. I imagine an ecology grad might find it harder to find ecology specific roles on graduation than someone in earth or environmental sciences finding something specifically related to their respective courses.

However all are equally employable (i.e. their employability is dependent on you) for generalist grad schemes in e.g. business, the media, the civil service, law, banking, financial services, etc, etc. These are the kinds of areas the majority of grads go into as most grads don't do anything specifically related to their degree subject after they graduate.

Ultimately it largely comes down to you and what you do to make yourself employable at uni, not what degree subject you study. The internships/work experience you get, leadership roles you take on in societies etc for transferable skills, and how well you prepare for assessment centres and psychometric tests will be what makes the difference. The only real difference is above, how widely available work specifically tied to that degree subject material is, which will be a bit more varied.
Reply 2
What is the difference between earth science, environmental science, geology, environmental geoscience and environmental geography? See all of these names and I don't know how they are different from each other.
Original post by alekstudies
I’m looking at university courses and Im really drawn to earth sciences, environmental sciences and ecology but I was wondering about how easy it is to find employment after finishing the course

Hi there,
Because environmental science covers a lot of subjects you can choose from lots of paths to go down for your career. If you're interested in the ecology side of it then I'd recommend doing as much volunteer work with wildlife organisations such as the Wildlife Trust as possible during your time at uni. Payed jobs in this field are very competitive but if you show that you're dedicated then you will find something fulfilling. Also take opportunities to network at these events and reach out to employers on platforms such as LinkedIn. These steps are necessary in any course these days not just earth sciences, so its best to start early to give yourself a better chance of getting your dream job sooner. Hope this helps,
-Grace

Quick Reply

Latest