Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, if the human race discovered alcohol in the past 200 years it would be an illegal drug much like marihuana is today - I know that it is a drug that is intertwined with human history but that DOESN'T make it right! It's time to ban alcohol.

The reasons why alcohol should be banned are so numerous that I can barely even begin to list them - underage sex, drunken driving, teenagers gone wild, yob violence, stabbings, liver damage - it goes on and on!

Discuss.

Yeah but I like it. Wine is good.

Maybe you should write in to the Daily Mail.

Why not ban sex? It encourages promiscuity.

ReputationRep:
    yeh go for it mate, im sure theyll listen to someone like yourself on TSR wow look how much rep youve got youll change the UK in no time haha i love my sarcasm now go hide in your room your not a revolutionist your a fool!

ReputationRep:
    Stop with the stupid posts already. No ones interested. Get some sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWZC)
    Stop with the stupid posts already. No ones interested. Get some sleep.
    Are you drunk>?

ReputationRep:
    Attitudes need to change, not laws.

ReputationRep:
    The biggest reason it won't be banned is the ridiculous amount of money governments get from it due to tax. Same with cigarettes.

ReputationRep:
    Please dont, I like it too much.

Besides must I reiterate the point that pops up everytime someone comes on here wanting to ban alcohol? It will never happen. The government get too much revenue from Alcohol every year. Same with smoking, they didnt ban it, they just made everyone go outside and do it.

Worst we'll get is a drinking area outside of nightclubs! :P

ReputationRep:
    **** off. I like my wine, thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Marijuana has been 'banned', doesn't stop people taking it.

I think we should kill all the poor children to get rid of child poverty :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Lol asif people havent heard of the fiasco that was Prohibition...

done before. the thread and prohibition

ReputationRep:
    Stupid idea. It makes evenings out better.

ReputationRep:
    OP don't be silly!

ReputationRep:
    It should be banned yes.

However... just look at america when they tried it. I think its best to leave it legal lol. :p: - Honestly it just wont work and will make more crime. and people selling it.. (the dealers) will use that money to fund more crime.

ITs much better being legal where it can be taxed and regulated.

ReputationRep:
    Won't work, look at prohibition in the US in the 20's

ReputationRep:
    I don't think banning alcohol, or as was in the papers today, banning the sale of cheep alcohol is going to solve the problem... we've banned drugs, and people still use them on a regular basis - the smell coming from the room of the guy across the hall from me who smokes weed every night is SERIOUSLY overpowering. A little thing like it being illegal doesn't stop him, even though he's probably ruining his health (and probably the health everyone who walks past his door come to think of it...)

Point is, yes, excessive drinking causes problems... but banning alcohol won't make those problems go away. If alcohol becomes illegal, people will get it some other way.

Many people do drink sensibly and cause no harm to themselves or others - why should they not be allowed to enjoy a drink just because some people abuse alcohol and do stupid things as a result?

And for the record, underage sex and violence can take place WITHOUT alcohol as an influence and often do. If two 13 year olds want to have sex, taking away alcohol isn't going to stop that. If some idiot wants to go out and beat someone up, not letting him have a drink isn't going to stop him. These are separate issues entirely.

Regarding the banning cheap alcohol, if it gets any more expensive, I won't be able to buy it at all - I can barely afford to do so as it is!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretz)
    underage sex, drunken driving, teenagers gone wild, yob violence, stabbings, liver damage - it goes on and on!
    aside from drunk driving, all of these things happen anyway regardless of alcohol consumption.

I think you need to come up with some better reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the OP.

If we banned alcohol, the amount of people putting strain on the NHS would decrease, the rate of violence would decrease, the rate of unwanted pregnancies would decrease, the rate of accidental injures and death would increase...etc. because in many cases, alcohol is a direct cause of it. It's all well and good to say "I like my wine"... but why should that then stop the cocaine addict from saying "I like my cocaine, let's make that legal too"?

The problem is that people like alcohol. Getting drunk is "fun". And it's become a huge part of British culture. So if the government tries to ban alcohol, nobody's going to vote for them again. There's the flaw in democracy... it gives the people what they want. But what they want isn't necessarily what's best for society...

Seeing as they can't really ban alcohol, the best they can do is to encourage people to drink less by putting those "know your limits" adverts on TV, and make alcohol really expensive, with lots of tax, to pay for those alcoholics that take up NHS resources. But I still think we'd be better off without alcohol...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.