Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretz)
    Are you drunk>?
    No, I'm stone cold sober. And fed up with your trolling. Either you are a troll or you are both oblivious to everyone elses opinion and unintelligentenough to figure that out. I'll leave you to decide that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Getting drunk is "fun".
    Yeah...it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Yeah...it is.
    So is taking drugs, which are currently illegal. So why should alcohol be legal, but not cocaine, heroin, cannabis etc.?

The only reason alcohol isn't illegal already is because people liked drinking it long before it all of its harmful effects on society were discovered. And by that time it had already become part of British culture. But it is illegal in many countries. And nobody seems to be complaining over there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretz)
    My belief in God (Al-Allah) lets me know that if we banned alcohol in the UK then everything would be ok
    Well this is an entirely different debate in itself... if your belief in Allah, God or whoever tells you that banning alcohol is a good idea, of course you're never going to be swayed by arguments telling you otherwise... but lets look at it in another light... an alcoholic who believes in God may believe that his drinking problem is ok, because his faith in god tells him that this is the case. Is this man right? Of course he isn't - his drinking will eventually cause him health problems and he will most likely develop diabetes at best and die at a very early age at worst.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although you may believe through your faith that banning alcohol will solve all of this countries problems, but other people will not agree with you...

I take it you as a follower of Islam do not drink? In that case, then the banning of alcohol would not affect you negatively. However, it would affect the millions of people who do consume alcohol on a regular basis, as well as the people who sell it, the people who manufacture it, etc. Also, if you ban alcohol, people will sell it illegally, which will go on to fund more crime. In fact, if alcohol became illegal, more money would be pouring into the pockets of criminals than they get from selling drugs, since far more people consume alcohol than take drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattaf)
    I don't think banning alcohol, or as was in the papers today, banning the sale of cheep alcohol is going to solve the problem... we've banned drugs, and people still use them on a regular basis - the smell coming from the room of the guy across the hall from me who smokes weed every night is SERIOUSLY overpowering. A little thing like it being illegal doesn't stop him, even though he's probably ruining his health (and probably the health everyone who walks past his door come to think of it...)

Point is, yes, excessive drinking causes problems... but banning alcohol won't make those problems go away. If alcohol becomes illegal, people will get it some other way.

Many people do drink sensibly and cause no harm to themselves or others - why should they not be allowed to enjoy a drink just because some people abuse alcohol and do stupid things as a result?

And for the record, underage sex and violence can take place WITHOUT alcohol as an influence and often do. If two 13 year olds want to have sex, taking away alcohol isn't going to stop that. If some idiot wants to go out and beat someone up, not letting him have a drink isn't going to stop him. These are separate issues entirely.

Regarding the banning cheap alcohol, if it gets any more expensive, I won't be able to buy it at all - I can barely afford to do so as it is!!!
    we haven't banned drugs, we've selectively banned certain drugs.

hmmm how about this: 'Point is, yes, excessive smoking of cannabis causes problems... but banning cannabis won't make those problems go away. If cannabis becomes illegal, people will get it some other way.

Many people do smoke cannabis sensibly and cause no harm to themselves or others - why should they not be allowed to enjoy a joint just because some people abuse cannabis and do stupid things as a result?'

and that argument would actually make more sense than the alcohol one considering it is more harmful. but this is another thing for another post...

anyway as for the banning alcohol thing, it would never happen because of the £££ and the culture. and of course if it were made illegal, like every other illegal drug, it would just be sold illegally funding gangs and with no standards for purity it would be more dangerous, etc. i think that is the real issue to be tackled here because prohibition clearly doesn't work as seen in the case of alcohol and other illegal drugs. but i can see your point, OP.

ReputationRep:
    oh noes, please don't take away my beer and spirits how am i going to relax after a hard days work??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yadda yadda)
    we haven't banned drugs, we've selectively banned certain drugs.

hmmm how about this: 'Point is, yes, excessive smoking of cannabis causes problems... but banning cannabis won't make those problems go away. If cannabis becomes illegal, people will get it some other way.

Many people do smoke cannabis sensibly and cause no harm to themselves or others - why should they not be allowed to enjoy a joint just because some people abuse cannabis and do stupid things as a result?'

and that argument would actually make more sense than the alcohol one considering it is more harmful. but this is another thing for another post...
    When I say "drugs" are illegal, I'm referring to actual banned substances, not all drugs in general. If by selectively banning drugs, you are referring to how each is classified, possession of Class C drugs can still earn you "up to two years in prison or an unlimited fine or both" according to the home office website.

I am not disputing that excessive consumption alcohol doesn't cause major health and social problems - clearly it does. However, I believe that education and tackling the social myth that "not drinking makes you anti-social" is the way forward, not banning it outright. As I have said, many people enjoy alcohol sensibly and the ban would affect them.

Also, there are many communities in this country that depend on alcohol manufacturing for their livelihoods (distilleries in Scotland, etc). If it were banned, those communities would collapse and many people would be left unemployed.

Your argument about cannabis being less harmful than alcohol does have some weight, but I would dispute it on a scientific basis - each has different effects and those effects depend on the amount consumed, so they can't really be compared. People who smoke cannabis can develop major problems even from smoking just one joint - with alcohol, you have to consume an awful lot in a short space of time and on a regular basis before problems begin to emerge. It is possible to enjoy a few drinks once a week with no adverse health issues, if done as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.

I don't think smoking cannabis can ever be considered as being part of a healthy lifestyle - just as smoking cigarettes cannot.

ReputationRep:
    cannabis is fine. alcohol is worse but fine too. leave people alone you sanctimonious tools.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, but I don't want to have to actually face my problems. I'd rather explode in a sea of vodka every now and then.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it is hypocritical that alcohol is legal and some other drugs aren't. But I'd go the other way and legalise more drugs.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think it would be a good idea to ban alcohol... it caused chaos in america when it was, i doubt it would be very successful here either

yes, it's causing strain on the emergency services, but banning isn't the right way to go about it

people should be responsible with how much they drink, i believe that this is easier said than done though... i myself have never drunk alcohol before, so i guess i'm not the most fairest of judges... and also, there should be restrictions on happy hours and deal and prices on alcohol

banning alcohol would just cause more problems than it would solve really

ReputationRep:
    A majority of drinkers aren't hooligans. You shouldn't try to ban it just because you don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    In 1920 they tried prohibition in the US and it failed badly.

basically as a result thousands and thousands of people (if not more) started creating their own home brew and this made alcohol incredably dangerous, there was often alot more toxins and impurities which could cause death very easily and a whole load of other issues.

you'd probably get the same if it happened again, just because it's banned dosen't mean people will stop drinking it. If anything things would just get much worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretz)
    Seriously, if the human race discovered alcohol in the past 200 years it would be an illegal drug much like marihuana is today - I know that it is a drug that is intertwined with human history but that DOESN'T make it right! It's time to ban alcohol.

The reasons why alcohol should be banned are so numerous that I can barely even begin to list them - underage sex, drunken driving, teenagers gone wild, yob violence, stabbings, liver damage - it goes on and on!

Discuss.
    Could have sworn you were the same guy starting a thread saying Islam was false and muslims should go out and get wasted...
    STFU !

ReputationRep:
    You had a rough night last night too, did you? :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretz)
    Seriously, if the human race discovered alcohol in the past 200 years it would be an illegal drug much like marihuana is today - I know that it is a drug that is intertwined with human history but that DOESN'T make it right! It's time to ban alcohol.

The reasons why alcohol should be banned are so numerous that I can barely even begin to list them - underage sex, drunken driving, teenagers gone wild, yob violence, stabbings, liver damage - it goes on and on!

Discuss.
    I agree to a large extent. However, it should first be restricted. I think banning it altogether would be highly impractical, and would bring the prohibition era to the UK. Too many people are dependent on it, and banning its supply would just cause the alcohol industry to go underground. We can't perform an outright ban. Alcohol is one of society's ills, which should be done away with, but it can't be forbidden just like that, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    The problem is that people like alcohol. Getting drunk is "fun". And it's become a huge part of British culture. So if the government tries to ban alcohol, nobody's going to vote for them again. There's the flaw in democracy... it gives the people what they want. But what they want isn't necessarily what's best for society...
    I'm offended that you think of this as a flaw. This is the greatest thing that democracy has to offer us. Mindless ideals of utopian societies can be discarded on the basis of collective opposition from individuals.

So sorry, you're not getting your perfect society where it's illegal to drink guinness, because if any politician put it in their manifesto, they would instantly lose my vote.

I agree that it's hypocritical to enact prohibition for seemingly everything except alcohol, but the answer is less authoritarianism, not more.

ReputationRep:
    it shouldn't be the governments place to decide what you do to your own body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretz)
    Seriously, if the human race discovered alcohol in the past 200 years it would be an illegal drug much like marihuana is today - I know that it is a drug that is intertwined with human history but that DOESN'T make it right!
    very, very true.
    It's time to ban alcohol.
    no.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.