The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tazarooni89
Alcohol is banned in many countries already, as well as certain states in India and in parts of Australia, and everything seems just fine?

I am quite sure prohibition in this country would be followed by huge complaints - but how have they manage to enforce it there? Would we not be able to just do the same here as they've done there?

In most of the places where prohibition is successfully (for the most part) implemented, there hasn't been any real historical or social significance to alcohol, so they don't need to work particularly hard to stop its purchase or consumption, as not many people want to purchase or consume it. The black market still isn't totally stamped out anywhere, though. Prohibition wouldn't work in the Western world, because there'd be popular rebellion. Of course it works in Saudi Arabia, but then the vast majority of the population wouldn't drink it if it was legal anyway as a result of their religion.
As someone said on the first page, I think it's peoples attitudes that need to change, not whether alcohol is legal or not. Okay alot of us are guilty of going out and perhaps having a bit too much to drink every now and again, but I doubt we all go around causing crimes/accidents that are alcohol related. It's a select few that 'spoil' it all for the rest of us.
discuss share your view, why?

and other factors are due to underage sex, drink driving only fools do, teenagers gone wild, we are young and careless we should enjoy it, yob violence happens with out drink, so do stabbing, you can damage your liver by eating fatty foods should we ban them too
you have nothing to stand on, alcohol should not been ban, don't like it deal with it, crazy people think call for a ban on stuff like alcohol just cos it may cause stuff, and we are free people to do what we want, don't like it move on don't drink live with it
(edited 3 years ago)
i guess the fact that 99%+ of those who choose to do so can enjoy drinking without causing any trouble counts for nothing?
Reply 64
Prohibition did not work in the 1920s in the USA. It just paved the way for underground establishments. What makes you think banning alcohol in this day and age will be effective?
are you maaaaaaad
i agree its the attitudes that should change, not the laws on alcohol
not everyone that drinks is going to end up drink driving or becoming a danger to others or whatever
its only a few foooools that do that, and its ther own fault, it shouldn't ruin it for the rerst of us :smile:
Reply 66
Juggy123
yeh go for it mate, im sure theyll listen to someone like yourself on TSR wow look how much rep youve got youll change the UK in no time haha i love my sarcasm now go hide in your room your not a revolutionist your a fool!

Your command of the English language leaves me in awe at how you're still breathing.

Pretz, stop trolling.
Reply 67
Okay, so there are bad effects of it, but we should still have SOME free will
its our bodies and our lives, we should be able to have a good time
and no, alcohol isn't the only way to have a good time, but it sometimes helps people loosen up
underage sex, teenagers gone wild, yob violence, and stabbings will go on with or without alcohol
beside that, banning it would not make the drinking problem disappear....
there are still people on drugs which are illegal, and so why wouldn't it be the same for alcohol?
If people are against it they don't have to drink, its completely their choice at the end of the day.

as mentioned by others, its the attitude that needs to change, not the law.
Normally I find myself party agreeing with Pretz's posts, but this one is a load of nonsense. It's perfectly possibly to drink alcohol without harming anyone. If a few idiots misuse it then they should be held accountable and now the vast majority who are sensible.
Alcohol is an important part of being human, and has been for millennia.
Reply 70
I like it, and I'm not harming anyone by drinking it.
Reply 71
Yeah do it. And while you're at it, can you please stop people smoking and also remove world poverty.

Smoking should be banned as its incredibly pointless, yet it never will because the government enjoys the tax revenue. There should be no world poverty as there is enough food in the world, yet it will exist as long as other people are greedy.

Although alcohol should be banned, it won't. The government seems to value the tax revenue more than the life's lost :s-smilie:.
Reply 72
Anyone who wants to ban alcohol is mad.

Why can't people have some fun? Christ. When you see people bumbling around and falling about on the TV because they are drunk.........who cares? The only ones that need stringing up are the ones who are smashing up cars and beating each other up, and thats not alcohol, thats just people being to***rs.
Reply 73
Yeah, let's ban smoking, drinking and recreational sex and let's all subsist for 80 years until we die and turn to dust.

Woo!
Reply 74
really, its time to ban alcohol?

i cant think of many more stupid things to do, banning alcohol will cause more problems than good, engage brain, the reasons given are hardly grounds to ban alcohol, yeah i like a drink or two...maybe three or more even but its my choice, its legal, and s'far as i can tell and see most people who drink or when drunk are harmless, there are few people who are aggressive when drunk.

frankly i dont see why my choice to drink is taken away because of a few pillocks who get ****** of their faces and then think they are "well hard" when they bottle or punch some innocent bystander, so stop complaining and deal with it.
I see the OP's point...but as has been said it wouldn't work in Britain, there's just too much of a culture and dependence on it. Attitudes need to change and I think getting rid of it would have an adverse effect.
I wouldn't be too fussed if it were banned to be honest. Would stop most people acting like idiots anyway, even if they don't do anything as violent as smash things up.
tazarooni89
So is taking drugs, which are currently illegal. So why should alcohol be legal, but not cocaine, heroin, cannabis etc.?

The only reason alcohol isn't illegal already is because people liked drinking it long before it all of its harmful effects on society were discovered. And by that time it had already become part of British culture. But it is illegal in many countries. And nobody seems to be complaining over there...

In many Muslim countries it is illegal. I think you'll find in countries like France Italy etc drinking Alcohol in moderation is actually good for you. The problem isn't alcohol but binge drinking. :yep:
Reply 77
tazarooni89
Replace rape with anything harmful to society.

It doesn't matter how harmful it is, as long as it's harmful, and the flaw still holds. :s-smilie:

There is quite a big difference here. Rape is by definition inflicting harm on another person. The act of drinking alcohol itself harms no one but the person drinking it. So where are rape is necessarily harmful to others, alcohol consumption is not always harmful to others. Only a small proportion (unfortunately a small but rather noticeable amount) of people get violent when they drink. Most people don't. Of course there may be other problems associated with it.

tazarooni89

And may I just point out:

At least one-half of all violent crimes involve alcohol consumption by the perpetrator, the victim, or both (Collins and Messerschmidt 1993). Sexual assault fits this pattern. Thus, across the disparate populations studied, researchers consistently have found that approximately one-half of all sexual assaults are committed by men who had been drinking alcohol

http://www.athealth.com/Practitioner/ceduc/alc_assault.html

The problem here is that correlation does not necessarily imply causation. Just because a lot of violent crimes are committed by someone who has been drinking, does not necessarily mean they committed the crime because they were drunk. Of course it's quite obvious it does have some effect, but in many cases it might be that the sort of person who would commit these crimes anyway also happens to drink a lot. These statistics by themselves prove nothing useful. To really be meaningful you have to prove that alcohol causes people to be violent. I'm sure there are plenty of studies that have proven this is often true. But does the fact that it makes some people violent grounds for banning it for everyone?
Reply 78
Alcohol serves no positive purposes that society needs. However, banning it is too late, people are attached to their little drug.
Psyk
There is quite a big difference here. Rape is by definition inflicting harm on another person. The act of drinking alcohol itself harms no one but the person drinking it. So where are rape is necessarily harmful to others, alcohol consumption is not always harmful to others. Only a small proportion (unfortunately a small but rather noticeable amount) of people get violent when they drink. Most people don't. Of course there may be other problems associated with it.

The problem here is that correlation does not necessarily imply causation. Just because a lot of violent crimes are committed by someone who has been drinking, does not necessarily mean they committed the crime because they were drunk. Of course it's quite obvious it does have some effect, but in many cases it might be that the sort of person who would commit these crimes anyway also happens to drink a lot. These statistics by themselves prove nothing useful. To really be meaningful you have to prove that alcohol causes people to be violent. I'm sure there are plenty of studies that have proven this is often true. But does the fact that it makes some people violent grounds for banning it for everyone?

I agree that there's a difference - although I was just using the rape thing to point out a flaw with democracy, which is essentially the main thing which is keeping alcohol in our society at the moment. Although I would say that according to your argument, all drugs should then be legal, because in general they harm only the user and nobody else?

And it may only be a small proportion of people who get violent when they drink, but a large proportion of actual violent incidents are direct results of drinking. True, correlation doesn't imply causation, and you can't really "prove" that the person wouldn't have been violent even if they hadn't had any alcohol. But in many cases, it's quite obvious. For example, I knew someone who went and beat up another guy for kissing his girlfriend. But in actual fact, he was drunk, and didn't realise that the girl wasn't actually his girlfriend.

Maybe there are some people who are completely responsible with alcohol, and no harm has befallen them or anyone else from drinking it. But isn't giving up alcohol just a small price to pay, if it does indeed manage to cut violent incidences, underage/unwanted pregnancies etc. by such large percentages?

I do find it upsetting that so many people in this country are so addicted to alcohol, such that they aren't willing to give it up for a greater good. But that is why banning alcohol in this country will have detrimental effects rather than beneficial ones.

Latest

Trending

Trending