Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Consider the sentences:

"it would be warmer if the Sun were out"
    and
    "I would be happier if I were not stuck in my room posting stupid threads on TSR

Now, is the use of "were" here justified? I've seen this written and heard it spoke many times, but is it strictly correct? Is it just a Bolton thing? It only seems to appear in the conditional tense.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's correct. (Though 'was' has been slipping into use also, 'were' is the traditionally proper one to use.) Technically you're using the subjunctive -- clever boy! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    was.

I should add, english is not my strong subject.

ReputationRep:
    were. jismith is right.

ReputationRep:
    I believe both are acceptable, with "was" being slightly more informal.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, technically it's more correct to use "were" - it's subjunctive.

ReputationRep:
    It's grammatically correct considering that you have the 'if' conjunction there...you'd use 'were' as opposed to 'was'.

This does seem to fit into the conditional + imperfect sentence!

ReputationRep:
    This is correct in standard written English - "were" is used instead of "was" in the subjunctive. It's becoming less common these days though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why but whenever I hear someone say 'grammatically correct' I become irritated. I don't know why, something about it just annoys me. Is it even grammatically correct?

OK, thanks, I wondered if it was just in dialect or if it was actually used. And I have no idea what the subjunctive is :p: I guess I'll Google it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    I don't know why but whenever I hear someone say 'grammatically correct' I become irritated. I don't know why, something about it just annoys me. Is it even grammatically correct?
    Is that because you think that what is correct is what is actually spoken? You'll find that the vast majority of linguists agree with you - it's just a pity others don't think the same. Nonetheless, you have to conform to certain a dialect when writing formally, so here there is an issue of what is and is not correct - for instance, if you were (heh) to write "if I was to get this job" or somesuch in a letter to a prospective employer, it would not be looked upon favourably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    OK, thanks, I wondered if it was just in dialect or if it was actually used. And I have no idea what the subjunctive is :p: I guess I'll Google it.
    Basically it's when you're talking about a hypothetical situation - that which is not currently the case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.