The Student Room Group

Is it normal to sleep-talk every single night?

^Title^
I'm 18 now and I only just learned that I sleep-talk every night at around the same time (my new app tells me this.) I mostly say some coherent sentences or I mutter gibberish. According to my parents, I've done this for as long as they can remember, but I don't know if I actually should be doing this.
Do you usually sleep in a noisy or stressful environment? :confused:
Is there any family history of sleep disturbances involving parents, their siblings or grandparents?
Sleep disturbances including sleep walking, night terrors, insomnia, very vivid nightmares and aggressive physical reactions whilst asleep.

It is quite unusual for adults to sleep talk loudly every night.
Frequent or very disruptive somniloquy (sleep talking) is viewed as a parasomnia and abnormal behaviour.
Usually harmless if a little irritating to room mates/neighbours with thin wall or embarassing for the sufferer.
But can be indicative of unresolved trauma, extreme stress, the side effects of medication or a sleep disorder.
Original post by londonmyst
Do you usually sleep in a noisy or stressful environment? :confused:
Is there any family history of sleep disturbances involving parents, their siblings or grandparents?
Sleep disturbances including sleep walking, night terrors, insomnia, very vivid nightmares and aggressive physical reactions whilst asleep.

It is quite unusual for adults to sleep talk loudly every night.
Frequent or very disruptive somniloquy (sleep talking) is viewed as a parasomnia and abnormal behaviour.
Usually harmless if a little irritating to room mates/neighbours with thin wall or embarassing for the sufferer.
But can be indicative of unresolved trauma, extreme stress, the side effects of medication or a sleep disorder.

Thank you for your reply!

No, my environment is very peaceful, but I know that my dad occasionally sleep-talks / sleep-walks, at least in the past. I've always had very vivid dreams very frequently that I could easily recall for as long as I could remember, and they've always been a point of amusement to my friends, but now I'm not sure if that's very good for me either. They're not usually nightmares though, at least as far as I remember.

However, I have been writing down my dreams for the past week and I spotted that I dream about at least one thing that makes me anxious in some way every night. Early this morning, I sleep-cried (I cried in my dream and then realised that I was actually crying in real life too.) To be honest, I was having one of my worst nightmares. I actually responded in the same way to a similar nightmare I had a couple of months ago, and now I think about it, my worst and most memorable dreams are always related to this topic. I think I might know why now.
Usually the sleep-talk is totally random and unrelated to anything that I can remember dreaming about though.
Reply 4
Its not abnormal, so to speak. Most people sleep talk at some point asnd the amount varies. I talk all the time now apparently - i imagine stress and whatnot are a factor.
So long as it isnt screwing with your sleep or whatnot though, just ignore it i say)
Yes most of the people have the habit of sleep talk so don't be worry,,,
Does it bother you or anyone in your family?
Original post by Napp
Its not abnormal, so to speak. Most people sleep talk at some point asnd the amount varies. I talk all the time now apparently - i imagine stress and whatnot are a factor.
So long as it isnt screwing with your sleep or whatnot though, just ignore it i say)

Original post by elixirhtc
Yes most of the people have the habit of sleep talk so don't be worry,,,

Oh ok, that's reassuring. Thank you!
Original post by Kutie Karen
Does it bother you or anyone in your family?

No, not at all.

Quick Reply

Latest