Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A terminally-ill girl has won the right to die after a hospital ended its bid to force her to have a heart operation.

Herefordshire Primary Care Trust dropped High Court proceedings after a child protection officer told the court Hannah Jones did not want the surgery.

The 13-year-old, from Marden, has refused a heart transplant because it might not work and, if it did, would be followed by constant medication.

The girl, who has a hole in her heart, says she wants to die with dignity.

Thoughts? Personally I find it quite shocking

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7721231.stm

ReputationRep:
    She'd rather die than take medication??

What's she got against medication?

ReputationRep:
    Can a 13 year old really comprehend a decision like that?

ReputationRep:
    shes just a kid what does she know? i dont think they should have allowed it

ReputationRep:
    What the ****? That's ridiculous.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Most of the legal precedents say that a 13 year old can't comprehend death. I'm sure if the hospital had pursued it they Court would have ruled against the girl.

ReputationRep:
    How sad. Poor girl.

But I thought everyone had the right to refuse hospital treatment?

ReputationRep:
    I though it was up to the parent/carer/guardians authority to make any nesccasary decision until the child is an adult ?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by obnoxious)
    I though it was up to the parent/carer/guardians authority to make any nesccasary decision until the child is an adult ?
    Maybe her parent support her?

ReputationRep:
    The hospital can't force treatment on someone, IF it had been pursued the hospital would of been ***** slapped. The decision usually goes to the primary care giver, who can demand the surgery but not stop the child from demanding it. If both are on the same page mmm.

Then again, unless anyone here wants to argue that the government should ban fatty foods because they are bad for us, it is not the governments and by extension the hospitals decision.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps there are other reasons to take into account. Perhaps she doesn't have a loving family to support her etc.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Crazster)
    The hospital can't force treatment on someone, IF it had been pursued the hospital would of been ***** slapped. The decision usually goes to the primary care giver, who can demand the surgery but not stop the child from demanding it. If both are on the same page mmm.

Then again, unless anyone here wants to argue that the government should ban fatty foods because they are bad for us, it is not the governments and by extension the hospitals decision.
    This is completely wrong. Generally, if the parents refuse on behalf of the child the hospital goes to court and is allowed to carry out the procedure. It is incredibly rare for a court to make a ruling that treatment should not be given to a child where that lack of treatment will lead to death.

ReputationRep:
    I think your replies are awful!
    It's her own decision!
    I think it's a very brave thing for her to do.

ReputationRep:
    Jeez Poor girl
    She must have really suffered to want to make a decision like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    I think your replies are awful!
    It's her own decision!
    I think it's a very brave thing for her to do.

I think it's a very stupid thing for her to do.

Brave, but stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Poor thing, must be a very mature girl for her age though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    This is completely wrong. Generally, if the parents refuse on behalf of the child the hospital goes to court and is allowed to carry out the procedure. It is incredibly rare for a court to make a ruling that treatment should not be given to a child where that lack of treatment will lead to death.
    I make the claim if both the parent and kid are against the treatment it should not go ahead. The court ruling would show that at least in some circumstances this is true.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Crazster)
    I make the claim if both the parent and kid are against the treatment it should not go ahead. The court ruling would show that at least in some circumstances this is true.
    This particular case wasn't decided in court.

I'm very surprised that our country would let this happen. I'm not going to pass judgement on the morality of the decision, but bloody hell, our EU Supreme Human Right Overlords will go nuts.

ReputationRep:
    this is more than a simple heart transplat

Hannah previously suffered from leukaemia and her heart has been weakened by drugs she was required to take from the age of five.

has anyone stopped to think that mayhe she is tried of fighting and just wants to enjoy what time she has left without constant medication and intervention.

She has obviosuly suffered health problems from a very young age and wants that to end and to enjoy herself.

whats the point of living if you cant enjoy it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.