Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    This particular case wasn't decided in court.
    I would infer that since hospitals have been known to go to court against parents decisions they felt they would lose this one.

However, this inference may be incorrect.

More importantly, Hippocratic oath.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Crazster)
    I would infer that since hospitals have been known to go to court against parents decisions they felt they would lose this one.

However, this inference may be incorrect.
    It is. It is more likely they decided forcibly treating her was just cruel.

More importantly, Hippocratic oath.
    Which bit of it and why?

ReputationRep:
    More info

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle5127163.ece

ReputationRep:
    thats quite inspiring

ReputationRep:
    She's young, but she seems fairly wise.

There is a difference between euthanasia and allowing someone to refuse treatment. I think the latter is a right - why should someone be forced to let people intrude into their body?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    More info

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle5127163.ece
    Wow that's one brave girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    I think your replies are awful!
    It's her own decision!
    I think it's a very brave thing for her to do.
    I agree. She's 13, not 3. She'll be more than aware of what death is.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the legal precedents say that a 13 year old can't comprehend death.
    Who the hell can?

ReputationRep:
    Will she be able to actively speed her death, rather than it being a long drawn-out affair, though? I hope so.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Planto)
    Who the hell can?
    Well, it depends how you look at it. I was merely saying what the case law says.

To be fair, most people who are in their mid to late teens can comprehend what death is.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Will she be able to actively speed her death, rather than it being a long drawn-out affair, though? I hope so.
    Doubtful as suicide is illegal (as is aiding, abbetting and assisting one).

ReputationRep:
    Doubtful as suicide is illegal (as is aiding, abbetting and assisting one).
    Suicide isn't illegal. I'm sure it was repealed in the '60s as the punishments were only harming the relatives.

Aiding and abetting surely is though. But I thought this might have been somewhat of a landmark ruling.

ReputationRep:
    having the operation wouldn't be undignified... i'd rather die trying to live, rather than just die proud.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Suicide isn't illegal. I'm sure it was repealed in the '60s as the punishments were only harming the relatives.
    It ceased to be a capital offence, and the crime of suicide after the fact was repealed, but it remains an offence to attempt to commit suicide. It's more generally dealt with (rightly or wrongly) as a mental health issue.

ReputationRep:
    It is. It is more likely they decided forcibly treating her was just cruel.

Which bit of it and why?
    hasn't stopped them in the past enforcing their will on others. Or trying to.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/oath_modern.html
    "If it is given me to save a life, all thanks."

In this case it wasn't given to them to save a life, a violation if they pressed their own will upon it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veil of Maya)
    I think it's a very stupid thing for her to do.

Brave, but stupid.
    Why is it stupid?

Seriously, this is TS ******* R, I'm sure most of you knew what death meant at age 13! For a lot of you, it was 3-5 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    Why is it stupid?

Seriously, this is TS ******* R, I'm sure most of you knew what death meant at age 13! For a lot of you, it was 3-5 years ago.
    you knew what death meant at 13? You could comprehend what it is? You know the meaning of the word, but do you know what the word actually refers to?

E.g. you know what the holocaust was, but "this is TS ******* R, I'm sure most of you knew what the holocaust meant at age 13! For a lot of you, it was 3-5 years ago."

That knowing the meaning of a word is adaquate to understanding that word?

I know what a xyz (insert something my teacher said) estimation is, but do i understand it? Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazster)
    you knew what death meant at 13? You could comprehend what it is? You know the meaning of the word, but do you know what the word actually refers to?

E.g. you know what the holocaust was, but "this is TS ******* R, I'm sure most of you knew what the holocaust meant at age 13! For a lot of you, it was 3-5 years ago."

That knowing the meaning of a word is adaquate to understanding that word?

I know what a xyz (insert something my teacher said) estimation is, but do i understand it? Nope.
    Do you know what death is now? No, no one knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    Do you know what death is now? No, no one knows.
    I never claimed to.
    Do I understand death better as I got older? Yes. Its called growing up - that is getting a better understanding and grasp on life.

Believe it or not, when your feelings and emotions are still developing its a lot harder to comprehend well things that involve strong feelings and emotions.

ReputationRep:
    What I don't get is how the chaemotherapy caused a hole in her heart. I think she has just lost all faith in doctors.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.