Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    If you read what you have posted carefully you will see it does not refer to where a child and the parent disagrees.

It says where the parents and the medical team disagree a court order should be sought. Quite correct, and what led to this case being issued (although not decided) in the first place.

Whilst the wishes of the child may be respected, they don't have to be, and absent the child getting a litigation friend and challenging their parent's consent on their behalf in court, the parent's consent will always over rule the child's refusal.
    *head hurts* *loves medical ethics*

Thank god I'm doing medicine in Scotland where it's all a lot simpler! :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by quadruple_twist)
    *head hurts* *loves medical ethics*

Thank god I'm doing medicine in Scotland where it's all a lot simpler! :p:
    Quite! I might use scots law as a comparitor .... hmmmmmm!

ReputationRep:
    For me this is quite clear. The state has absolutely no right at all to force somebody into taking medication nor does it have the right to make their decisions for them. 'Society' - i.e., us, has no moral basis to deny somebody the right to end their own life, either by suicide or by refusing medication. We can ensure that they understand the full consequences of their actions but the choices that an individual or a family take are inalienable in this regard. I'm not quite sure how it can be justified that the state has a right to tell people when they can die and when they can live; but of course, we were warned that this would happen...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    And what do we do for those who can't understand?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.