Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Losing the physical attraction, maintaining an attraction Watch

I've always been fairly asexual and not too much into guys.
    There's a guy I've met at uni. I really fancied him for a while. That's kind of gone though and now I just really really like him. I love talking to him and spending time with him, but the physical fancying has gone. Is there a chance that it will return? Cause I don't really know how to react to him now and I think that he maybe wants more than friendship and I wouldn't be satisfied with less than a very intense friendship so maybe I'm actually after a relationship?

Any ideas on my weird body?

I am bumping my own thread cause it took so long to get approved

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you let him know that you are (a bit?) asexual, so he won't be put out be the fact you don't want him physically.

If he knows then that is fair to him; he needs to enter a relationship knowing that certain boundaries (whether physical or emotional) exist.

I wouldn't bet on desire returning, really, but you know yourself better.

If he is upset by the fact you don't him physically, you shouldn't take that against him, though. Most people would be disappointed on some level that their relationship could never have an element of carnal instinct.

ReputationRep:
    If it's beneficial to both parties, how can it be wrong?

Go be happy with him, just be upfront and honest, keep the communication going.

Thank-you. Does this mean that you think that it's still ok for me to be in a relationship with him?

ReputationRep:
    as long as he knows how you feel, then yeah. x

I don't really know how to say that to a boy though! Surely it will just come across as weird and put him off me (if I have to tell him before I've got really close).

ReputationRep:
    Tell him you're a strange one, that you really like him and really want to be with him, but tend not to be attracted to people in the same way (if this is true? I'm presuming you're a bit asexual/are demisexual like you said). Don't make a big deal out of it if you don't want to and it won't effect anything, or don't use the words 'I don't fancy you' if you don't want to - tell him how you like him. Focus on the positive.
    (pm me if you want)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.